Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:27 PM
happy sailing

Default Alaska May/June - weather?

We are thinking about booking an Alaskan cruise for the last week of May beginning of June. What were your experiences weather-wise during this time frame in Alaska? I know weather can vary greatly from year to year, but an idea of what past travellers have experienced will give us a better idea of what we are getting into. Rainy, cold, warm, frigid, etc? Any other advice you might want to pass along would be appreciated too. Thanks a million!
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska May/June - weather?

The later in the Alaska sailing season, the better the weather expectations. We sailed on Father's Day in June which was perfect. Tour guides were in shorts! There was rain in the usual places where it rains and also in Juneau (which surprised me). Plan on wearing layers of clothing that you can remove while on land; Polartc lined jacket with hat & gloves, turtleneck or t shirt, sweater or sweat shirt and jeans or slacks. Don't forget to wear thick rubber soled shoes and warm socks are a must.
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Dustypup

I live in Southeast Alaska (Petersburg) which is about halfway between Ketchikan and Juneau. We live in a rain forest so it can rain anytime. But....I think June and July are the best months for weather. Lots of daylight and usually not much rain. Last year we had a great summer with very little rain. However, I remember one summer when we had only a couple rain-free days. Weather is cool - 70 degrees is considered hot here. Regardless of the weather, everything you've heard about Alaska is true. Lots of whales - fishing is great - scenery is beautiful... Come on up!
Old February 6th, 2005, 09:44 AM
WDR

We did the Alaska cruise in May of 03 and the weather was great no rain cool around 50-55 I even wore shorts most days, however we were very lucky to have nice weather the week before they said was cold and rainy the whole cruise.
Old February 6th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have sailed the inside passage during the last week of May. Yes it was kinda damp (fog and light rain) four days out of seven. But that kind of weather lends a kind of spookie quality to the trip, especially in ther narrow parts of the passage. It can be quite cool when you head up near the glaciers. The trick is "layers" bring a water proof hooded jacket, a warm sweater and sweat shirt. Put em on when it gets cool, take em off as it gets warm. Light gloves and a hat too.
Don't miss out on the Alaska experience, it's one of the best trips you will ever take, and I'd take a cruise to HELL if it was a nice ship. JImbo