Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:27 PM
First Mate

Default Martinique Port

We will be in Martinique in April. Is the town close to the port?? If anyone has been there could you tell me if we can walk to town. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Martinique Port

I have been to Martinique several times. It is a very beautiful Island. You will dock at Fort De France, which is the major town. The main shopping area is close enough to walk to and from. As you exit the dock area, bear left around the old fort . There is a square, or park area where arts, crafts, etc. are sold. I can't remember exactly how far it is but it's easily walkable.
I don't know if you plan to take a tour or not but Saint Pierre is a few miles away and is worth the trip. It was totally destroyed in 1902 along with all inhabitants by a volcanic eruption.
There was one survivor, a man named Cyparis who was in an underground jail for being drunk. There are shops, etc there now along with a museum. It's interesting to say the least.
You can get a lot of info. on Martinique at www. Martinique.org.

( I have read where some people claimed they didn't like martinique, that the locals were rude, etc. I have not found that to be the case. A smile, a thank you, please, etc goes a long way wherever we are ) Have a great time.
Old February 8th, 2005, 08:13 PM
browezilla

I would encourage you to tour the country though. It is beautiful. The drive to St. Pierre is one of my favorite Caribbean drive. The drive down the central valley is as green as green gets :-)

Have fun.
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:35 AM
First Mate

Thanks so very much for your responses and suggestions. Getting excited!!! This will be our first 10 day cruise. Thanks again!!