Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Doris Miller

Default Been on the Vision of the Seas Lately?

I am leaving this Sat. Feb. 12th for the Vision of the Seas Mexico Cruise. Do you know the dress codes for each day and when the theme nights are? Do they have a tropical theme night on board? If you have your cruise compass it would list all this on the first day. How was your cruise? Entertainment? Weather? I would appreicate any info. you may have for me. Thank you! Doris
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Been on the Vision of the Seas Lately?

we just got back from the Vision in Jan. and had a ball. The first night [ sun. ] is casual since you have just arrived and may not have your luggage. Mon. is the first formal night and they take lots of pictures. thur. is Puerto Vallarta day and that night is the midnight buffet up on deck. Friday night is another formal night and they have the Gala buffet at midnight. we passed on that one but I hear that is where all the chocolate is . like chocolate covered strawberrys. I'll make sure I make the next one of those buffets lol. The entertainment was great, they had some wonderful comidians and tango lessons and basically something for everyone. If you want to just hang out or if you are a joiner it is all there. There is always food to be found either in the Windjammer [ buffet] or in the solarium for hot dogs, burgers and some of the best french fries ever. At 3 the windjammer sets up "tea" that is snack things like chili dogs, nachos and cakes and scones. The ship is beautiful, the service wonderful and the ports of call are so much fun. I hope you have a blast, we sure did. we are already booking our next cruise, what a way to go, Kristine
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Doris Miller

Default Re: Re: Been on the Vision of the Seas Lately?

Thank you Kristine for all the info. I am so excited about the cruise especially after all your news! Sounds like we are both cruise addicts, WHAT FUN! Thanks again. Doris
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Kelli D

We will be sailing on the Vision of the Seas on March 13th with our two college age kids. Since Kristine just returned, I was hoping she could answer a few questions for me, please. While we plan to have our dinners in the dining room, we like to have our other meals at whatever times suits us. Is the food that is served in the Windjammer and the Solarium available all the time or just at certain times? Also, how difficult was it to get a lounge chair in the solarium? I appreciate any information you might have.
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:03 PM
kmsolo

Kelli D
I know this is not the roll call area, but I just read your post and I will be on the same ship as you and your kids. I am going with my parents and younger brother (both of us are in college) What ages are your kids? and where are you from? I heard the ship is already full! It should be a great week! I have been doing a lot of research about the ports, so if you have any questions please feel free to email me.
~Kristin
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Kelli D

Default Re: Re: Re: Been on the Vision of the Seas Lately?

Our kids are 20 and 23. We are from Phoenix. Thanks for your offer to share the information you have found. I've been doing quite a bit of research myself, but if there's anything I think of that I haven't found an answer for, I'll take you up on your offer. The more information I gather, the more I realize how many great things there are to do both on the ship and at the ports. We're all looking forward to this cruise.
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:57 AM
kmsolo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Been on the Vision of the Seas Lately?

How funny, we are from Mesa- I'm 22 and my brother is 20. I agree with you, there are so many things to do...
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Kristine here, I found out that the cruise is all about the food and boy did I enjoy it. I hear from some that it wasn't that great but as the chief cook and bottle washer, not having to cook, serve or do dishes it was all good to me. There is food at any time you want it and room service is also available. we never did room service because I thought it was so much more fun to eat and see the ocean gong by. The Windjammer has breakfast "tea" and dinner. the tea is at 2 o3 until around 4. The solarium offers hot dogs, burgers, and french fries. there is also pizza but somehow I never tried it, it must have been the only thing I missed. they also always have plates of cookies everywhere and , get this, around midnight they carry trays of appetizers and choc. covered strawberries. There are 2 midnight buffetts, good grief, I gained 10 pounds. But you can litterally set your own dinning schedule. Don't forget the dinning room also serves 3 meals a day, so many options. My advice, take some clothes for the last day that are looser, lol. Have fun, we had a blast and can't wait to go again. any other questions about the Vision or the ports, feel free to ask, Kristine
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oh yea, the lounge chairs, once people find out how cozy it is to be in the solarium it is very hard to get a lounge chair. People tend to take them for the whole day, not nice imho.
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Kelli D

Thanks for the info Kristine. I'm trying to lose 10 lbs before the cruise, so if I gain 10 while I'm there, I'll guess I'll breaK even. Hah!
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Kelli D

Kristin, what a coincidence that you are from Mesa. So, after all of your research, have you decided on what you're going to do in the ports?
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:08 PM
kmsolo

yes after all our research we have decided to spend some time at the Melia San Lucas in Cabo- probably will rent jet skiis there... We have a time share in Cabo and have done most of the tourist things in that town. In PV we are renting 4wheelers or ATV's and ride around for a few hours, go back to the ship to shower and eat lunch, and then head back for some beach and shopping time. In Mazatlan depending on how burnt we are we will either go to The Inn resort and lounge by the pool. or we will do something else if we are tired of the sun (I wont be but my mother has to be careful with her sun exposure) We are very flexible when it comes to fun, so I have created a book of different activities, maps, and suggestions so that if we want to change our minds we have the best info available... Being organized can be a sickness- or so I have been told. What are your plans?
My brother was excited to hear that there were going to be more people our age on the ship. He is affraid that he will have to spend his whole spring break with the parental units.
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Kelli D

Default Re: Re: Re: Been on the Vision of the Seas Lately?

In Cabo, our son is interested in the Sea of Cortez snorkeling excursion, which my husband and daughter don't want to do and I don't know how cold the water is in Cabo in March. Our daughter would like to do the dolphin excursion in PV, but my husband and son aren't really interested in that. Personally, I would be happy with a little shopping and some beach time at a nice hotel. Do you know if the hotels will let you use their facilities for the day if you pay a fee? I generally plan things out more, but I wanted this vacation to be for the kids more than us, so I'm leaving the activities up to them. By the way, I'm another one of those people who like to be very organized when it comes to my travel plans.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

We used the Krystal's facilities in P.V and they charged us $15 per person but that was a credit for food and drink. I think most places have a small fee. I don't think I would go back to the Krystal even though it is close to the dock, I just didn' think it was all that cool, but that is personal preference. the persur on the ship told us we could use any beach we wanted but we thought it best to check in and not be embarressed if they kicked us out. the water in Cabo was very warm and we were there in Jan. It was beautiful and great snorkeling. Our table mates did the dolfin swim in P.V.and loved it. There is so much to do so you are wise to have a plan before hand so you don't lose time once you get there. My advice for Cabo, it is a tendering town so get downstairs on the ship the morning that you arrive in Cabo and get your number for loading the tender. we waited and ended up being the next to last tender out. It was around 12 and I wish we had gotten in there earlier. They hand out the numbers in the Atrium { centrum ] staring at about 9. Have fun any questions feel free to ask, Kristine
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:37 AM
kmsolo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Been on the Vision of the Seas Lately?

Here is what I have learned from these boards and some others... Most places will let you use their pool area if you buy lunch or drinks from them. However, as you say- don't get embarrased if they kick you out of some chairs. The chairs are for their guests before they are for us. I understand- I wouldn't want someone not paying to stay the night to get a chair over me...
In Cabo we have snorkeled and my parents have done some scuba there too. I think this is the best place to snorkel between the three ports. My best suggestion is to not book with the ship but to get your tender tickets early and find a swim shop (there are a lot of them around the dock) rent some masks and fins and get a water taxi- they call them selves "Glass bottom boats" and do your own tour to the Arch aka Love Beach... It will be cheaper and if your daughter doesn't want to go she can hang out at the beach, the best thing about doing your own thing is that you can leave whenever you want. Just a hint, get some fish food at the swim shop, the fish will swim right up to you and eat from your hand...
My aunt did the dolphin thing in Hawaii and she says it was the best experience she has ever done. I personally am affraid of them. Don't ask me why. I think it's the texture...
I think it is very nice you are making this cruise about your kids. It is the other way around for our family. I have cruised before and this is my family's first time. It is hard not to plan everything... Well, now that I wrote a novel, I better go. Only 26 more days!!!
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:01 AM
kmsolo

Ok, so I did a little searching and found some awesome maps that might help... I can't find the one for mazatlan, but I will keep looking...

This is a map of Cabo:
http://www.loscabosguide.com/maps/cslmap.htm
(I hear we tender in by the main dock, someone in a previous post says The Fininsterra is just over a hill) Kristine are they right?

This is a map of PV: (sorry it is long, had to convert from spanish)
http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DN