Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Getting to Port Liberty???

I need to figure out the best and most cost effective way to get from New Haven Conn to the dock at Port Liberty. This is a repo cruise so there is no help from RCI. Train to Manhatten? Then Cab to the port? What would a cab ride to Port Liberty cost? About?
It seems kinda far. I don't suppose there is any public transportation? How about subway to Newark airport, then cab? Does that work? Help!! Jimbo
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Getting to Port Liberty???

Did you see the post I gave in the Repo VOS thread? I posted a link to the port website. It gives you taxi prices other information.
http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/i-capeliberty.pdf

You dont want to drive in to NJ?

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, thanks. I did look at the website, is seems that there is a subway station 3 miles from the pier. The problem with driving to Jersey is that one has to then drive home. Which makes for a long day, disembark, wait at the airport, 3 hour flight, one hour to get the luggage back, by now it will be about 6PM and we'll be facing a 4-5 hour ride back to Boston. Makes for a less than plesent end of the vacation. I'm looking into renting a car, (one way) leaving it off at the airport and cabbing to the ship. That way we could fly directly back to Boston. It's actually kinda frustrating, the last time we left from Port L the cruise line sent a bus to pick us up in Boston. But they won't do it this time. Jim
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:22 PM
hcat

We also thought first of the LIRR from LI to NYC port & then thought about hauling the luggage around...went with a limo... To Port Liberty I guess if we coulldn't get a bus we'd have to drive-
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yup that"s the problem, all that luggage! I think the plan is to rent a car (one way $75) and drop it at the newark airport. Then get a cab to the pier.
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Dan p

Hi Jimbo,I think your best bet is to get the rented car to newark airport drive to Bayonne drop off your luggage at the ship then drive over to the airport[10-15 min drive]across the turnpike bridge and maybe ask the car rental if they transport to the ship.
The exit for bayonne off of the NJ Turnpike is exit 14 A and the exit for the airport is exit 14.
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Passenger

Did you book through a travel agent? If so maybe they have a bus that can take you there. We are leaving from Bayonne in August and our agent got us a bus that takes us there and back for $50
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:46 AM
rhlaw

Why aren't you just driving there and parking in the lot? We are going in September and we were thinking of that? Is there a problem that we don't know about to park at the cruise terminal? We live in Jersey and that seems to be the best for us. Parking is $12.00 a day from what I heard.
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Getting to Port Liberty???

The cruise is a reposition. It leaves from Bayonne but ends in Miami. Its tricky to plan transportation.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old February 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM
bpm

We did the reposition cruise from Bayonne to Miami last October..We live 30 miles south of Boston and were faced with the same problem. We checked into trains.busses air to Newark, and renting a van one way. Our solution was to hire a limo to drop us off and pick us back up in Boston on our return. No hassles ..It cost us about $500 but we split it between 3 couples.

bpm
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:45 PM
lshea

Jimbo,

I live in RI and did the October trip too. I was able to join a group of 24 (family and friends going together) who rented a bus. Total cost was about $35.00 per person. Have you tried the cruisecritics roll call? You may be able to find others in your area with the same problem.

Lori
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Zina

We've got the opposite issue. We need transit from Bayonne to our home just outside of New Haven. Limo sedans around here are charging $170-180 plus gratuity, for door to door Town Car service. That's not really bad, considering RCCL charged $65.00 pp for their bus service last year, and it was not door to door. They can take 4-5 people, depending on luggage.

Those of you who have to get t from points east or Boston may want to consider this option - private limo from train station in New Haven.
Old February 26th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Dwayne

How about taking Amtrak from Connecticut to Newark Penn and taking a cab from there. No need to change trains in New York.
Old February 26th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to all who posted. I think the best bet is to rent a car, drive to the airport then cab to the pier. Then fly back to Boston from Miami. Jimbo