Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Marlin

Default Empress of the sea-Just BAck

Wow
We had a great trip!!
If any one would like info just ask and we will Email you Back .
Of ir your were on cruise lets chat
Later Rico from--------well you all know where!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2005, 02:06 PM
jarred

Default Re: Empress of the sea-Just BAck

how bout a small review of the ship???
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Jean M

Marlin,

You sound like a happy camper... and I have questions!

We are sailing March 14 and sailed to Bermuda on this ship in summer 03 before the refit when it was the Nordic Empress.

Did you stop in Grenada? How was it after so much destruction?

Did you get into St. Maarten earlier than 10am? We're meeting friends there.

Were St. Maarten and St. Barth's both tendered, like our itinerary says?

Did you try the new specialty restaurant and, if yes, how was it?

Which nights (ports) were the formal nights? We love them and want to fit everything in!
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Dan P

Hi Jean,We were on the January 17th sailing.I will try to help you a bit.We were also on her when it was the Nordic Empress.
The change doesnt seem like that much.They did away with one of the pools.And there are no safes in the rooms.
We did stop At Granada,They did get hit good but you really dont see it till you get up into the mountain areas.We got a taxi at the port with another couple and took the tour.It cost us $30 a couple for the taxi.I am not sure what the price was from the ship.
In St Martins ,it is not a tender,you dock than you can take a ferry over to town,the price is $5 for as many times as you want to go back and forth.If you want to take a taxi they are close to the ship $3 a person each way.
We did tender in St Barts.Just to give you a heads up,it is very expensive there.We walked to the beach from the dock,about a 20 min.walk.We got a beer at the beach and the charge was $5 for a small bottle of cribe[the day befor in st kitts we paid $2 for the same beer.If you walk to the beach you go by million dollar yatchs.
We did not eat in the specility resturant but was told it was very good
There were three formal nights I dont remember which nights they were,but the last night we were in Aruba.A lot of people were upset with this because that was the night for Lobster and a lot of people were going ashore for dinner as we werent leaving till 11PM.
The captain was great,is seemed if all the people were on early we left port early.But we also arrived the next day early.We were suppose to arrive at St Martins at 9 am but were docked by 7am it gave you two extra hours.We were early for every port by at least one hour.I dont remember which port but as we were getting off they told you to check the time at the gang plank,we arrived an hour early and left an hour later.
I hope i was able to help you out as much as I can ENJOY.
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:04 PM
marlin

I will give a review in the next couple of days
right now i have to go to a weight watchers meeting
tonight its over to AA
Then in morning im in rehab!!!!!
Ok have you all figured out that we had a great time!!!!
Rico from PR
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM
marlin

Hi Jean

First I would like everybody to know we had a great cruise!!!! Even though we were some of the younger people on board. All of this crew is very young and for lots of them this is there first contract with any cruise line. We were treated like kings and queens!!

For most of you people that have cruised before im sure that you have been on a ship this size. Keep in mind you get what you pay for and we feel we recived way more than what we paid for.

Getting on the ship in San Juan is a dream. We got on in less the 15 minutes.

It seemed that we were alway running early in to the ports so we had lots of time at each stop

Grenada was really cleaned up and the beach was great.
St Martins we did not teander and we were there early also
St Barts we did tender but is really went smooth--- great your tender tickets early if you want to get off early.

All in all i would take this ship again and loved every one of the stops.
Just remember it is a smaller ship and if thats a problem stay off dont come back on here whining about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 14th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Jean M

Thanks, Marlin. Are you from PR? We're staying in SJ one night pre cruise and two nights post. It will be great to get out of the Canadian winter for two weeks!

We are in our early 50's, young at heart, and fit right in. We've been on the Legend and Grandeur a few years ago and this ship before it was refurbished - not on one of the really mega ships, although I want to some day. We don't see being on an older, smaller ship as a disadvantage. It doesn't take me as long to find my husband when he goes one way and I go the other!! We picked this ship for the itinerary and excellent value, not to mention those two weeks in the sun.

We haven't been on such a busy itinerary, though, and I would have liked at least one more sea day. We have been to all of the ports on this cruise, except for three. I'm thinking that there must be fewer organized activities on board, with so many port days. If this was your first cruise, you wouldn't necessarily have noticed - and it's all good.

Do you remember which other nights were the formal nights? I know that the last one was in Aruba. There are a few things that I want to fit in and I'd like to have my game plan in advance, while always allowing for plan B. Bottom line is that we'll take it as it comes, and I may never have time for the gym!

I was also wondering if you tried the specialty restaurant.

What did you think was the best and the worst? I love my job, but think that any bad day on a cruise ship is better than even a good day at work!
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Jean M

Another question -

Did you experience either bringing alcohol (wine) onboard, or bringing wine to the dining room (the usual corkage fee?), or getting it onboard and bringing it to your room, on this particular sailing?