Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS
Default BEWARE!!

We just got back from the Navigator at the Miami terminal. What a mess!!! First, getting on, we had to stand in line 2 hours while the Coast Guard did a SUPRISE inspection. Then, getting off, we waited until after 12:30p.m. before they would let us off saying it was the immigration's fault but we heard other excuses too. Many people missed their flights and one lady who was in our cab, had to rent a car, drive to Ft. Meyers then try to get a flight home. Luckily, we had a 3:30 flight and just made it in time. I don't know if this was a one=time deal, but people were IRATE to say the least. At one time, we waited 1 1/2 hrs before the next color was called. We had to sit in the auditorium where we heard CNN news for 4 hrs. They need to either have some entertainment or something for the kids besides CNN. Beside this, I found the food a disappointment as did other people. Last year we were on the SOS and the food was better. The wheat toast in the morning was thin and burnt - every morning!! The ship was spectactular and I have no complaints about the ship itself. I'm just an average Joe with average taste but that food needs help!!! People were also complaining about the Bingo. $35 for I think 4 sheets and they were only giving out $100 for bingo. No big payoff for the money you spent. The shows were great at night and had no complaints about them - we really enjoyed them and had a few good laughs and we met some good couples at our table. All in all, if they can get their food together, it would have been a great trip......Sandy
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Passenger

Default Re: BEWARE!!

Oh boy!! Hopefully they have this all worked out before our cruise in June. We are taking our twin boys on their first cruise so I hope the food situtation will be better then.So you did like the ship and the entertainment, what kind of entertainment was there? Our kids like comedy shows any of those, where was your cabin on the boat? We are at the very back of the ship (room 1692 balcony a aft cabin) Did you do a western trip that's what we wil be doing. Thanks, KMBB
Old February 13th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

We went on the Navigator last Valentine's Day. We thought the food was good and had no problems getting on or off the ship. I would highly recommend it. Sandy- I'm sorry that you had such a messy situation.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old February 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS
Default Re: Re: BEWARE!!

We had 3 comedians on the cruise and they were excellent. We also had the Platters from the 50's. We loved that too being in our 60's. They also had a guy from Argentina swirling some balls around and the kids thoroughly enjoyed that. They did say in the cruise paper that some of the comedians were RECOMMENDED adults only but I saw children in there. Also, there is a night called QUEST which they said Adults only but there were children in there and it was like a scavenger hunt and they were asking for bras and women were taking them off right there!!! The cruise director kept telling people who had kids there that it was recommended for adults only but they never got up and left. You HAVE to take your kids to the Stingray City excursion. That was awsome!! If your kids are 5 and older they would love it. I had a ball feeding them and it was my favorite excursion. On the ship they have ice skating (don't miss the show whatever you do), roller blading, golf, rock climbing, basketball, pingpong. You're never at a loss for something to do. If you need any more information, you can e-mail me at Daddydoe42@aol.com.
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:10 PM
koshka

Sandy, looks like Navigator got unlucky - we disembarked off Voyager (parked next to Navigator) yesterday and were at the Miami airport by 12 noon..
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:57 PM
big apple

Would suggest that you try celebrity next time.We just got off Zenith in Jax and getting on took a whopping 30 mins. Leaving took 30 mins also.Went on Voyager in dec and took 2 hrs to disembark .No thank you for future cruises.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:20 PM
newmexicoNita

I am sure your enbarkation and debarkation were flukes: in the past 5 years or so we have both to be a breeze regardless of the cruiseline we use. As for the food: I have never been impressed with RCi food, but that's just me. The cost of Bingo on all th ships is outrageous: I think it's their way of nickel and diming the public. For us this is not an issue as we are not Bingo players, but turn me loose with those slot machines: I love to hand the money over to them. NMNita
Old February 20th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Passenger

We just got off Navigator yesterday. We were embarking the ship while you were disembarking. It was a mess.... They didn't start boarding until about 2:00 (which actually is the time they tell you to be there, although they generally start boarding well before that). We happened to be the first people at the bottom of the escalators so we heard alot of what was happening since security is right there. Apparently, customs found drugs on someone who was disembarking. They stopped everyone else from getting off the ship for a time. They also sent dogs onto the ship to check it out before clearing the ship to allow embarkation. Not RCCL's fault, but definately a pain.
Once customs cleared the ship and RCCL started embarking, it was really a very fast, smooth process, about 20 minutes and we had our seapass cards and were on board.
Getting off yesterday for us was a BREEZE... we had the last color to be called (beige) and it was called at about 10:15 (1/2 hr ahead of schedule) we were out of the terminal and in a cab by 10:45.
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:18 PM
traci

well - I was part of the lucky group waiting for you all to disembark.

You probably didn't know but Miami airport was closed that morning. (Suspicious package) Our theory on the disembarkation delays were that customs didn't want 10000 people standing outside the airport waiting for something to do. Trip was fabulous. Service unbelievable. Weather could have been better.

All in all an A+ trip. I would go on the Navigator again in a heartbeat.
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey we were on that cruise also. Getting on the ship was a pain. We also heard drugs were found but you never now. We were off the ship and at the airport by 9:30 and were able to get an earlier flight to Atlanta and were home by 12:00. You know, for a ship that big it never seemed crowded to me except maybe at the parades but that was to be expected. On the food issue stated above, I think people hear all these commercials about gourmet food and please tell me how you can have gourmet food for 3500. I think the food was OK but not great. You could get different food if you didn't like it. One guy at my table order 3 entrees the last nite. Our waiter "Ron" on the Main seating was great. He brought out extra lobster on Thurday nite and extra shrimp cocktail on the nights that they offered them. We also had great tablemates. I can only imagine that if you did not like your tablemates this could make for a lonnnggg dinner. The cruise director "Ken Rush" deserves a medal. He was the greatest. Always seemed to have a good day and always smiling. His assistant "Abe" was also great. I can see him being a Cruise Director in a few years, especially being groomed by Ken Rush. We fell into the Bingo routine and all this cruises we have been on (4) it has been $35.00 for a sheet on 4 colors. They smallest payout that we heard for around $250.00 dollars. It is a progressive jackpot so maybe people who want the big payouts need to wait until later to play. The weather was not so great on Sunday and Monday in San Juan but RC has no control over this. The winds were so strong on Deck 11-12 that a small child or a real skinny person could easily been blown overboard. This was a great cruise and I would not hesitate to book on this ship again. If anyone has specific questions I would be glad to answer them. Just send my an email. Also, if Byron, Wendy, Bob or Joan reads this Hey from Atlanta. Hope you had a good trip home. Dinner just hasn't been the same.
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:54 PM
ghg

We are sailing NOS in June. Just wondering why everyone says the food is so bad. Is it the quality, selection, plain, the way it's prepared? Explain what you mean by the food is so so. Thanks
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Passenger

ghg,
I actually think they do an amazing job with the food considering they are feeding over 3000 people. You just can't expect it to be 4 star restaurant quality. The presentation of the food I think is very good. They also have a reasonable selection of choices. People put such an emphasis on the food on cruises that I think some end up having unrealistic expectations. I liked almost everything served, there just wasn't anything that I absolutely loved.
You'll have a GREAT time on your trip.
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Passenger

I have to agree that the food is awsome. We sailed the EOS in October 204 and the selection, variety, presentation and most importantly taste was great. I don't know what some people want who complain all the time. Everyone I know who sailed RC never complained about the food.

Caribbean Trip Reports & Reviews
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Passenger

ghg---- when on you sailing in June? We will be on June 11th Western cruise, KMBB
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM
heathere

Anyone sailing on the Navigator Eastern Caribbean June 4th? I've only seen one person on these message boards that is.
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Seems that your complaints lay with the Homeland Security for any delays. The Cruiseline has no control over that at all. As for the Bingo, nobody has ever been forced to play it nor should they ever think of it as anything more than paying to play a game. If they win then it is totally unexpected and should they get anything at all then they have won. They knew the rules going in as it is announced before the game. I personally never play bingo nor do I gamble as it is not that much fun and I am not going to pay that mush for the enjoyment of it. It has nothing to do with possibly winning as you should never think you will ever win a thing. As for the toast, yes if you like toast this would be aggrivating but you should either go to another station or tell the guy there that you want some "lightly" toasted and not burnt. I am sure they will help you and if they do not see whoever is in charge.
Jim

Jim

Old February 26th, 2005, 09:22 AM
ghg

KMBB - We are sailing western june 11th! We are going with another couple. We are so excited, it's our first cruise. We are around 34 years old. How about you?
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Passenger

ghg--- How cool!! We finally found someone else cruiseing the same boat. We are a family of 4, my husband(46) myself(do I have to tell my age????), and our twin boys who will be 17. It will be our boys first cruise and we are all really excited!!! My husband and I cruised 2 years ago on the Exployer and did the same ports as this one. (we really liked the cruise before) Also wanted our kids to see the sites of Jamacia(booked the same tour we did 2 years--Peat Taylor) Doing the same tour in Grand Caymen(stringray tour---Captain Marvins, real good) Then in Conzmel, the boys and I are going to try and swim with the dolphins(first time for this, it should be interesting I'm not that good of a swimmer and don't like to get under water and they say the dophins are really friendly) This is done in Chanabee Park(spelled wrong??).
You will love to cruise, really fun!!! We can't wait. What kind of room did you book? We are at the back of the ship with a balcony. Let me know if I can help you with any questions, I'm already planning everything and I getting things organized. KMBB
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:42 PM
ghg

KMBB- We are in a mid ship Royal Promenade view room. What did you have on your first cruise? What exactlty did you do on you Peat Taylor tour? What did it cost? Did you book online or through the ship? What do you suggest?
We have two kids a boy 7 and a girl 5. The other couple also has two kids both boys 2 and 1. We are all teachers with the exception that I am the only on actually not teaching. I stayed home with my kids and now that they are older I have no desire to go back. Over a year ago I opened a home and garden accent shop with my best friend so I run the shop while she teaches.
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

We just got off the Navigator (Western Caribbean, Feb 19 to 26) and enjoyed all our meals and were impressed by the service level we received. We have been on many cruises (five different cruise lines), the majority with RCI, and our experience on this cruise was the staff seemed to be one step above the others in regards to service levels. Friendly and accomodating. James Andrew is now the Cruise Director on the Navigator and he was one of the best yet.

The quality of food on Royal Caribbean ships seemed to slip a couple of years ago but we had no complaints on this trip.

We arrived at the cruise terminal at approx. 2pm the day of departure boarded approx. 20 mins later (there were two people in the line ahead of us to get onboard). We departed the ship at the time scheduled on our luggage tags.
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Passenger

ghg--- Well it is a small world, I used to be a teacher aide in our schools here. I loved it!!! I have LOTS of friends that are teachers now , but I don't teach anymore(too buzy with teenagers activities) When my kids got into high school I stop going to the school to help out(they realy didn't want me there anymore, you know a little embarrasing for your Mom to be at school) Where do you live? We live in Southern Illinios, about 20 minutes out of St. Louis, Mo.
We were on the Exploer of the Seas 2 years ago to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We left the kids at home and I planned all our shore trips. I found out about Peat Taylor from other people who post on these sites.. He is really a true Jamaican and has done tours for years.. His sons also help on them. We are going to the falls again because I want my kids to see this. It is a long climb up a water fall and is really fun. I don't think your kids could do it because of their ages. It only costs $30.00 dollars a peson and he comes to the pier to pick you up. He will also take you to see the sites about his home town.(very interesting!!) I'm going to hopefully get to go to the schools this time, last time they were closed(July cruise) I really want to see the kids, the schools are really different than around there. (you would like this part since you are a teacher)
In Grand Caymen, I would NEVER miss the stringray tour. I can't wait to go back there. My boys are going to really like it also. We got to swim with them, fed them and hold them, it was amazing!!! Great 3 hour tour, short walk for the boat dock ,cost about $39.00 dollars a person. You also get to go to a couple of snokling spots too. They suppply everthing, water and lemonade provided also.
Well let me know if you have any other questions, I always get excited about talking about these cruises, can't wait!!!! KMBB
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:10 AM
heathere

We are sailing Eastern June 4th - did I say that already? We are getting so excited for it. I've been on one cruise before a long time ago with a friend, but this time is going to be really great with my boyfriend. He hasn't been on a cruise, so that makes it even better!
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:25 PM
ghg

KMBB--We live in Northern Wisconsin, near the point of Lake Superior. We are also very excited about the cruise. The other couple whos going on this cruise with us, went to Ocho Rios on a land vacation last year and did the falls tour. They said they liked it and would do it again with us if we wanted. You forgot to tell me whether you booked the tour on line or through the cruise? What do you suggest?
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Passenger

Cyndi,
Glad you had a good time.... We were on the cruise before you. I remember looking at the people who were embarking while we were disembarking thinking how lucky they were to just be starting their cruise. I did not want to get off the ship.
That really surprised me to hear you say James Andrew was the cruise director. We had Ken Rush. I got the impression he had been there for a while and he didn't say anything about taking time off or taking a new job. Was Abe still acting as the "Asst Cruise Director"?
We've been off the ship for 9 days and I'm still suffering from withdrawls! Hope you adapt to real life better than I am!
Happy Dreaming.... until the next one...
Elleluv

Old March 1st, 2005, 07:44 AM
Passenger

ghg---- I booked directly through Peat Taylor(the only way to go, I think) He will e-mail you back with your details, you don't pay until the end of his tour. If you booked this tour you would probally be with us, if you would do a morning tour. We get to be the first at the falls and it's less crowded. He is open for anything that you would like to do. If some people don't want to do the falls he will take you shopping or you can go tubing or just ride around the country side.
I book all my tours through the intenet, private tours I think are better than cruise tours, smaller groups and not as much money. In Grand Caymen we only had about 35 people on our tour and it's really nice not to have so many. You get alot more personal attention and they help you into the water and help you with the stringrays also.(they can be overwheiming, but I loved it. I have great pictures of me holding one of those things, I never thought I would do that!!!!) Can't wait to see my kids with them!
Let me know if you need anyhting else, KMBB
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Donna Gritton

Hi there! I am on the message board reading and trying to get ideas for excursions for the cruise we have coming up in May. We are on the Navigator of the Seas in the Western Caribbean. Myself , my husband, and my 21 yr old daughter and 18 yr old son will be on the cruise. It will be a second cruise for my husband and I and a first for our kids. The reason I chose Western Caribbean was because my daughter really wants to swim with the dolphins, and it seemed like the Western offerred that. I have so many questions about the dolphin swim (we were going to do the one in Ocho Rios, so that we could do the Mayan Ruin Tour in Cozumel. The tour on the RC site for Ocho Rios was for the Dunn's Falls and the dolphin swim. I'm interested in learning more about how you go about booking with the private tour companies. Any insight you could offer me would be great. Also, there was info on the travel agent's site we used about an excursion in Grand Cayman to do a Stingray City & Scooter Safari. Have you ever rented scooters in Grand Cayman to get around to see the sights? Please let me know any info you may have so that I can get these excursions booked. I'm finding the ones on the RC site are very expensive and wondered if I should book elsewhere. I look forward to hearing back from you. My name is Donna Gritton and I live in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Thanks a bunch!
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Passenger

Hi Donna, this is kmbb-----we always book our tours through the locals(found it to be alot cheaper and more personal, not a lot of people like Royal Caribbean tours). The local tours also usually don't cancel their tours, the ship tours can be cancel at any time because of boating conditions that the ship s captain says are too rough or high seas. People have been disapointed to know their shore trips have been cancel and the people that booked through the locals can still go.(Kinda hard to explain, but it does happen) When booking a tour through RC, you will know that you will not be left behind, the ship will not sail with out you. I found my information for my tours through sites like this. People will give you alot of advice and you can decided for yourself if you want to try it. I was not sure the first time I did it(two years ago) but I have not had any problems. We are taking the same tours as last time(want my boys to see and do the things that we did, and it for alot of fun!!!) We are doing the dolphin swim for the first time in Cozumel at Chankabee Park, booked that though a cozumel site also. Can't wait for that one, the dophins are suppose to lift us out of the water for a ride above the water should be interesting!!!
In Grand Caymen, I don't know anything about renting scooters, we did a stringray tour from 10:00 am to 1:00 and then went walking around for some shopping. It's only a short walk from where we were docked..This was my favorite tour!!!!
Let me know if you want any information on my tours that I have booked. You will need to book as soon as you can they do booked up quickly. KMBB
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
browezilla

We were on the Navigator last Oct. Embarcation and debarcation went smoothly. Food was good to very good. We enjoyed the entertainment and activities. We give it an A, just shy of A+ (for our particular tastes).

I would love to cruise it again and would do so w/o hesitation..well, the price might be one hesitation. It's in demand high demand right now.
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Donna Gritton

Hi kmbb! Thanks for the feedback. I just booked our dolphin swim through Dolphin Discovery, because I noticed the one on RC said it could only be booked on the ship and I was afraid to wait for fear of it filling up. I would love to know all the tours you've booked in the past for Labadee, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman (who you booked your stingray tour through). I know my kids really want to parasail, and I saw that was offered in Labadee, but pretty pricey...do you know if they offer it anywhere else a little cheaper?

Thanks for the info!

Donna
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Tovanatasha

You are from Wisconsin? I am too! But have lived in Florida for 20 years. We will be on the June 4th Eastern Caribbean cruise...the Navigator.
I have a 14 year old daughter...who is considering going to the teen center, but is a bit afraid, as she didnt' like the Enchantment of the Seas teen center at all. The kids seemed to have a little too much "attitude". Who knows!
We will be on the 8th deck. Can't wait, but of course, am still a bit afraid of the Norovirus...which was only found on the RCCL ships this last year. The Navigator has a 97 score...out of 100 from the CDC. They found that the kitchen had some faulty food heaters and the crew weren't washing their hands!!!!
I hope if some of us complained....things will change and can get a 100 score like so many of the other ships!!
We still can't wait to go! Sailing is so much fun.