Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:28 AM
mrshark

Default explorer of the seas..just back

We just got back from Explorer of the Seas yesterday. I will post a review ASAP.
Overall a good vacation....food needs improvement, and disembarcation was horrible. We had a 2PM flight and just made it.

Any questions, I'll be glad to answer.

-Mrshark
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: explorer of the seas..just back

my family is going on explorer this Sunday.. to the Eastern Caribbean.. where did ure cruise go to??

this is our frist cruise for 4 of us.. there are 10 of us total..

we are getting really excited

Old February 14th, 2005, 02:16 PM
mrshark

Default Re: Re: explorer of the seas..just back

we did Eastern Caribbean also. Puerto Rico, ST. Marten, ST Thomas, Nassau. You will have a good time. Any specific questions, let me know.

-Mrshark
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM
First Mate

We had no problems getting off the ship (there were 8 of us). We had a Miami Everglades tour scheduled for 8:30am and were off the ship at 8am. If you have an early airline flight, let them know and you will receive a color coded ticket to get off early.

Make sure you get tickets to see the Ice Show...also,don't forget to bring along two-way radios with subchannels. You'll be able to keep in touch with everyone. I think we picked channel 6, subchannel 30 and never had a problem with anyone else on our line.

Get really, really excited because we had a FANTASTIC TIME!!!!! Let me know if you have any questions.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:39 AM
ghg

Hi! What is the condition of the ship in? Any major visable wear and tear (Carpet stains, Peeling Piant, Rusty Lounge Chairs etc..?) We are thinking of a Western cruise in June. Two couples ages 27-35. What kind of room were you in? Do you think we would be disappointed with an interior room? Any insight would greatly be appreciated!!!
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:44 AM
First Mate

We were on the ship Jan 23-Jan 30. The ship was beautiful. Our room was very nice and we even commented on how nice the shower looked. Very, very clean. I never saw any peeling paint or rusty anything. I did spill something in our room, made 1 phone call and they were right there to clean it up. Whatever they used, it looked like nothing had happened. As for the rest of the ship, it looked brand new, everything sparkled.

Regarding an interior room. That was our only regret. The room itself was great but because it was an interior room, it lacked any means of getting outside light (no porthole or balcony). When you don't have any outside light coming into the room, it's hard to orient your body to get up. It could be the middle of the afternoon but as far as your room is concerned, without the lights on, it feels like it's the middle of the night. If you can afford it, get at least a porthole. If not, don't worry, you'll have a great time anyway.
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Cuti

Hey can you tell us where your table was located in the Dining Room? Is one location better then another, if so, let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:57 PM
mrshark

Hi Cuti

We spoke before I left...my review should be posted soon.

We were in a balcony stateroom, I think 6544? Deck 6, port side. Balcony is great.....we did an inside stateroom one time...not for us..too dark,...it's great sleeping at night with that balcony door open...hearing the hull cut through the water.

We didn't eat in the dining room...we just weren't really impressed with the menu. We didn't mind paying, and ate in Portofino's 4 nights. We ate in Johnny Rockets 1 night, Windjammer 1 night, and had room service deliver one night. Portofino food was superb, all other food to us was "o/k" Hamburgers were consistently overcooked...they wont make you a rare burger, have to cook to well done, but in Portofino's, I had no problem getting a rare filet mignon...cant figure that one out.

Ship is beautiful, very minimal wear and tear, minute amount of rust on our balcony, some varnish coming off of the rails...nothing to complain about.

Ship never felt crowded, even though there was over 3000 aboard. Royal Promenade is amazing...looks like a mall, not a cruise ship.

Overall we had a great time, and will sail with RCL again, but probably on Radiance or Vision class ship as we have in the past. Explorer was just a little too big for us.

-Mrshark
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:23 AM
Passenger

We also have a balcony room for March 6 on the Explorer. Any problems with the view? I hear this deck is right about the lifeboats? We also are on the portside, I think room 6670. We've never sailed RCI before, but can't wait to get out of Michigan for a week!

Old February 21st, 2005, 09:01 PM
Passenger

MrShark, thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear you had a good time. We too have thought that if the food is really that bad, we could always eat at Portofinos! Can't wait to read your review... thanks again!

Cuti
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:40 AM
Jamiegunter

We just returned from the EOS from the Jan 30th cruise. We thought the food was pretty good. Only thing that was bad was the steaks. Might want to do Portofinos if you want a good steak one night.
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:42 AM
Studman

Default Re: Re: Re: explorer of the seas..just back

Did they charge for Johnny Rocket's??
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:20 AM
Jamiegunter

Yes its $3.95 plus additional if you order drinks/shakes. The $3.95 is for food only, and its every time you go in and eat.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:09 AM
Lrovn

Does the $3.95 at Johnny Rockets include unlimited food? My husband usually gets two burgers and chilli fries and onion rings when we go to the one by my house . Or is it for just one burger?
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:52 PM
SS

I believe its just a one time fee.. not per burger or anything like that. So yes, the food is unlimited.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Passenger

We just got back from Explorer on Sunday..

im a 18 year old girl..

so if anyone wants any answers to any questions or anything from a 18 year olds point of view.

just ask

we went to the eastern caribbean

Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Passenger

We sail this Sunday on EOS and would appreciate any concerns or advice you can share?

Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:17 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: explorer of the seas..just back

everything was great on the cruise.. we thought the food was very good, except for a few of the steaks but other then that it was great.. i'd def. go see the shows, especially the ice show, and make sure u get tickets for that.

On day's at sea, try to get to the pool area early.. even though people did put stuff on chairs in the morning, RCCL had people going around and taking peoples things off the chairs..

if u have kids, they def. should check out the rock climbing, bball, and mini golf.. they were all fun.

everywhere on the ship has good music..

overall it was a great cruise..

hope i helped.. if any other ?'s feel free to ask

ps- if u are going on the eastern caribbean cruise, out of miami, and you are going the same way we did.. we went in the atlantic and it was a little rough, so if u get motion sick, take some dramine.. i usually am pretty good, but the 1st formal night got a little sick.. but it was fine after that

Old March 4th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Passenger

Hey Sailinggirl ~ Were there alot of kids on your ship??? Any cute guys? We're sailing with some teenagers/preteens and I'm sure they'll want to know!!
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Passenger

Well there were a lot of kids on the boat.. but they were all like younger teens.. about age 15 i would guess.. some of them we're cute though.. they were all from like the Boston area.

since i was 18.. i couldnt go in the teen club, so it was sorta hard to meet people.. even though i did meet a few.. it probably would have been better if it was college spring break when i went since thats the age group that i am.. im a senior in high school this year..

but def. tell the girls that im sure they will find some cute ones on the ship lol