Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:24 PM
sln123

Default cruise advice needed

hope someone can help me on this, hubby is in iraq now, but gets 20 days leave in august 2005. he wants a vacation, but nowhere too hot or too sandy. i am thinking of a cruise, we have two kids, girl 13 and boy 10 and I want them to have some activities too. I would like to have advice, I would like hubby to be as spoiled and relaxed as possible, nice food, attentive staff, and lots of fun people to visit with. Help with choice before talking to the travel agent would sure be nice. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Woody

Default Re: cruise advice needed

Plenty to do on a cruise without getting sandy. As far as hot, it just depends 80's and low 90's are typical in caribbean. Its always a/c'd inside. Their are plenty of excursions that are not beach related on both eastern and western caribbean. If you want a little sand though, Labadee is a great stop it is the ultimate beach relaxation. Also Alaska is a possibility, i've never been on an Alaskan cruise so i cant tell you much.
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

A cruise is the way to go for relaxation and pampering. We are sooooo relaxed when we get home from a cruise, even though you do a lot it's just a different way of life, nothing better in my opinion. Can't wait for our next one! Royal has a great kids program on board also. You're family would have a wonderful time.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:34 AM
kdonner

Default Re: Re: cruise advice needed

Yep a great cruise on a voyager class ship is the way to go... the voyager class that Royal Carribean has is amazing.... tons to do ... and believe me ... the kids will have the time of their life... we took a couple kids that age last year and hardly ever saw them except for dinner time (because that was a rule) and of course on the shore excursions..but they had a great great time... The voyager class ships are sooooo beautiful and you are totally pampered for the entire cruise...... I reccomend the Eastern Carribbean cruise over the Western... we were a little uncomfortable on the western because the stops were a little strange... didnt like Jamaica at all... lots of drugs ect... way to evident...
but the Eastern carribbean was great .... beautiful.. and lots to do...
Also make sure you get on one of these boards ahead of your cruise and meet some of the same people that are going to be on that same cruise with you... thats always fun.. ... I do this board and one called the Cruise Critic.... so Cruisecitic.com..... then sign up for a meet and mingle onboard the ship.. great fun..
Ken

We sail on the Explorer of the Seas again on April 3rd... come join us...
any questions feel free to email me..
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:20 AM
kicker

First of all, thank your husband for us for serving his country - we owe a lot to our service people! You don't say where you live, but RCCL (and other lines) cruise out of many ports, some with northern locations so heat wouldn't be a big deal. Any cruise would be great because it gives you time to spend and do activities with your kids, but also offers time for you and your husband to have quiet time together while kids are off doing different things.
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the sacrifices that you and your family make so that myself and my family can enjoy the gift of our freedom.

Make sure that when you book you explain that you husband is an active member of the military on leave. One they will be much more forgiving if his leave changes and you need to change your plans, and two they often offer a much discounted rate or upgrades.

Enchantment of the seas 2001
Gradeur of the Seas 1998
Soverign of the Seas 1997, 1996
Viking Serendade 1994
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Passenger

sln123, I also would like to thank you for all the sacrifices you & yours are making for the rest of us. I read on one of the threads this week that Carnival is giving some sort of discount for our people & their families, serving our country. It may be worth it to you check it out. My family & I prefer RCCI, but do cruise with another line if the rates are too great to pass up. Hope your DH returns safely to to you & may you have a wonderful trip.
Old February 20th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Yeoman

Alaska would be a great trip! I did a two week trip years ago (while in college) with my family and loved it. The first week we did the train thing (was with Princess), and although it was nice and interesting to see the interior, having to deal with luggage and hotel check ins every night was a pain. Plus, there wasnt a whole lot to do on the train except look at the scenery (so might be too much for your kids). The cruise portion was fun too. We took a helicopter up to a glacier, saw tons of marine life, white water rafting, kayaking, etc. It was a very memorable trip and so different from a typical cruise. It would be a far cry from Iraq! Temps were on the cool side, and chilly at night, so no hanging out in the pools, catching some rays, etc. If youre thinking about the Caribbean in Aug, think hot, humid, afternoon storms (quick to pass though) and potential hurricanes. Personally, Id go for the Alaska trip at that time of the year and save the Caribbean for cold days! Tell your husband thank you for all hes doing for us, and God Bless you for supporting him and your family!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Jamiegunter

If you book the cruise, make sure you purchase the insurance incase something happens and he doesnt get his leave. I think a cruise would be perfect, although do expect pretty hot temps in the caribbean that time of year. But the ship is nice and air conditioned, plus with ship moving wind cools it down around pool area.
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:07 AM
pach

My husband is not into the sitting on the beach vacation, therefore a cruise is just perfect for us. I highly recommend it. There is so much to do, you will not be bored. It will also be great for the kids!
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Passenger

Since his leave is in August, Alaska would be perfect. There would be lots to do for both of you and for your kids. As one of the other posters mentioned, be sure to let the booking agent know he is Active Duty Military. There may be discounts and/or perks you can get.
I can't think of anything that would give him the pampering he & you deserve.
Thanks for all he, you & your family are doing for our country.
Norma
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:08 PM
Tisha

my hubby is also in iraq now for the second time....he returned home after a year in iraq in march of 2004....we didnt make reservations for the cruise until 3 weeks before it left...we got a GREAT discount....including a military discount....i thought hubby not want sand anywehre....but believe it or not...he had a blast everywhere we went...HAVE FUN...i am about 10 1/2 months and counting till he returns home again and we will cruise again!!
tisha
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kcannava

UPGRADES? Not on Royal Caribbean. Got to pay for everything. I've been on 7 cruises with them and crown and anchor said not a benefit here! Guess its time for a change RCL is gettin too big for their britches!

Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

Alaska would be a great cruise. We are going on the Serenade August 14th. I have been aonce before and it is a great cruise. IF you have USAA they have a travel agency and reduced prices on their cruises.
Lexi