Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival vs Royal Caribbean

mizboog,
It just shows you that everyone has different likes and dislikes. We won't sail NCL again because we felt they were nickled and dimed us too much. They charged EVERYONE $10 extra to see their "big" entertainer! It was the old comedian Marty Allen! Everyone was upset and boycotted the show. As for FreeStyle dining, it was the worse. We would go around 6:30 pm for dinner and we couldn't get a table for 3. There would be a 30 to 45 minute wait. I told them to put us at a large table and they explained that was for large parties! So I turned around and asked 2 other couples, also waiting and hungry, if they wanted to join us and viola....we had a large party. Suddenly, everyone was doing that! Maybe things have changed but it was awful then.

Because of the value for familes, we have cruised Carnival the most. We will be sailing on our 2nd RCI in 4 weeks and looking forward to experiencing the Radiance class. I loved Princess too and plan to sail her again.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Admiral

CA Cruiser,
I hope that Freestyle cruising is different now! On our last cruise we tried Anytime Dining on Princess and loved it! We like to meet new people so we always asked to share and were seated immediately at a large table. Once we were the first at the table, but it filled up fast.

We're thinking about NCL for our next cruise and would hate to not be able to sit with others or have to "invent" our own group. (We eat together every night at home, don't need to on a cruise!)

I hope someone who's been on NCL recently can tell me things have changed since your cruise!

Also, I've never heard of having to pay extra for any entertainment. Is this common on NCL? We're old enough to like Marty Allen so we probably would have paid, but I agree that it would be upsetting to find that there was an extra charge! Did you know about the charge before you sailed, or did they spring it on you before the show?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Admiral

We are old enough to know and like Marty Allen also, it was just the idea of having to pay more $. Cruising Hawaii, in my opinion, is one of the most expensive cruises already. Besides, I sat at the next table at breakfast that morning then again the next day. No we did not know about the extra charge for the show before we cruised. I heard there was less than 100 in attendance. You might ask the dining question on the NCL boards.

Also, when they were going to take our embarkation picture, they had one of the dancers dressed like a hula girl and wanted her to join us. We declined because she had short platnum blonde hair and did not even look Hawaiian. Besides, we wanted just a family picture. Then they delivered the pictures to your room and they wanted to charge us over $25 for the embarkation picture because it was a "package deal", 1 8X10, 1 5X7, some wallets, and a key chain. More than I wanted. They wouldn't even let me just buy the one 5X7 I always get for our book. No negotiations. I told them to keep their photo.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old April 5th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Les G.

I'm debating on Carnival v. RC too, but I have a 4 and 6 yr. old. Would that change anybody's opinion? I've read they both have good kids programs.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Linda A

We just cruised on the Victory (Carnival) and previously cruised twice on the Radiance (RCCL). I would choose the Radiance. There was alot to do for the kids and fun activities in the Children's area. My son (age 6 then 7)begged to go in to the RCCL kids room and stay late but only wanted to go in the Carnival one twice. They just seemed to make it fun for him on RCCL.

One of my complaints of Victory (Carnival) were the lines to get the food for lunch or breakfast. They have a great deal of variety but all in different long lines. Radiance had different pods that you just walked up to and fill your plate with what you wanted. This made it easier with kids. Also, the Radiance was a sold out cruise so full to capacity with people you would think that they would have long lines. Victory had a loooonng line for a buffet. Then long Cheseburger line, pizza line etc. If you wanted one thing and you were eating with someone who wanted something different. You could have your food and go to a table but they wouldn't get there for 20minutes or so. The food looked like cafeteria food with big plastic bowls of fruit. The sevice was better on RCCL, On this ship you were not automatically billed for tips. Carnival billed each person $70.00 for tips. You could change them and we did but it was a major pain and I am sure that is why they do this. So, If people are automatically being tipped what is the incentive to give you great service??

I cannot believe that people thought the Food on the Carnival ship was better. Along with the long lines the food was just okay. We did the dinning room in the evening and it was just okay. Radiance was awsome. No comparison. Maybe We were on the best of the RCCL ships and the OKAy of the Carnival ships. The price's were similar on both ships. We paid around $900-1000 per person with a balcony room. All, that said. I would go on RCCL again, but what ever ship you choose you will have a great time because it is such a great way to travel.

Linda A.
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Les G.

I may be a bit slow here, but what do you mean by Voyager class?
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Admiral

RCI has a few difference size ships and they are divided into "Class". One is called the Voyager Class. You can view the different ones on their website.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old April 5th, 2005, 11:08 PM
KathieDM

We are RCI/Celebrity fans and have never been on Carnival. My step-sis is our TA and the first thing she said when she was helping us plan our first cruise was, "Well, you don't want Carnival". She set us up with the Explorer to the E. Carib and the rest is history--hooked on cruising. The food on the Explorer and Adventure has always been very good. I think Celebrity's food is a bit better, but the service is super on both. We've had wonderful experiences each time and now are looking to book Jewel to the Brit. Isles/Norwegian Fjords in summer '06.
It seems with Carnival you either love it or hate it--there's not much in between.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02
Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03
Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03
Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04
Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:47 PM
hydro-terp

<<<I may be a bit slow here, but what do you mean by Voyager class?>>>

Cruise lines design ships in bunchs with all of the ships in the bunch being sister ships, ie identical, with changes in decor and themes and some very minor changes in configuration/layout. Whenever the first ship of a new class is introduced its name is used to classify all future sisterships. Voyager was the first of its bunch/design group.

HTH
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:52 PM
hcat

Could not imagine anything being a notch below Royal. It is basic OK....Ships are lovely, food surprisingly good a few weeks ago on Briliance but it is like daycare/camp run amuck--Loud cruise director staff--sort of like a bad old frat party at sea! Their marketing & demographics have changed----at least that's what we experienced on Brilliance...It was very bi- lingual along with loud rap music playing all over---We did have fun but are moving back to Celeb Could not comment on Carnival as the pictyures of the ships seem not to our taste....so we have never tried it...