Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival vs Royal Caribbean

In comparing the Explorer of the Seas and Carnival's Miracle, there seems to be a $1,300 price difference, with the Explorer being higher.

The ports are the same.

The size of the ship is a big diference. Explorer has a rock climbing wall, mini gold, ice skating and a basketball court.

There does not seem to make up a $1,300 difference?

My agent is saying she can't discount the Explorer like she could with Carnival.

Do folks believe there is a lot more value with Royal Caribbean? Is the food better, or is entertainment better?

The interesting thing is for a family of 4 the Explorer is almost booked, while the Miracle seems to have more openings.

Thanks,

Paul D
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Carnival vs Royal Caribbean

Are you comparing the same dates?? The same type of cabin, category and deck level?? Is that $1300 for all four? I know an agent who seems to push Carnival. maybe they pay higher commissions....

I will still pay more to go on Royal Caribbean.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I've cruised both Carnival and RCL. While we had a great time on our RCL cruise, the last two have been with Carnival. I found I prefer the food on Carnival and the cabin size is much larger. If it we me, for the difference in price I would go on Carnival.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM
J Lo

Hi,

We've been on Disney, Inspiration (Carnival), Sensation (Carnival) and this time chose RCL for a change of pace. We absolutely enjoyed the Carnival ship. Here's the low down for how we chose:

Disney rates #1 for babysitting and kids' services - if your kids NEED to be in day camp and you don't want to feel guilty, go for that one!

Carnival is by far the best value and we quite liked the food. You get at least 2 or more midnight buffets and buffet salads/fruits/desserts all of the time. There is 24 hour pizza and icecream on both ships. If you are doing frequent ports and are not worried about on the boat activities, you can't go wrong with Carnival!

We are trying RCL this time because we're tired of the Caribbean ports and Carnival DOESN'T have it's own island like Disney and RCL. We wanted to try the Labadee port. Our kids also want to do the rock climbing, mini-golf and basketball as they are at that age. I am afraid about the food (feedback anyone) as I have heard that the food on RCL is not very good.

If you've not done Carnival before, and you don't mind the smoking/drunk teenagers on board, I would give it a try ... and do RCL when you're bored of the Carnival ships!

J Lo
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Carnival vs Royal Caribbean

Yes the dates are the same in the summer.

Decks are the same and both rooms are balconies.

The difference between the 2 ships is $1,300 for the 4 of us.

I also hear from most people that Carnival has better food. I have been on Carnival the last 3 years and would like a change. Basically each ship has the same entertainment, same type of games, and same food. But $1,300 is a large premium to switch.

I have a 13 and 17 year old.

So I am trying to figure out why people are spending more on RCI?

Thanks,

Paul
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Comparing these two ships is like comparing a Carver yacht to a Bayliner. It seems there is more availbility on the Miracle. The cabins that can accomodate four seems to be pretty booked on the Explorer. Do you want to leave from Miami or Tampa? There are a lot of variables. What is your sailing date? Look at the port times too.

Read as many reviews as you can, look at the virtual tours. Maybe if you compare one of the 110,000 ton ships like the Valor from Miami you will get a fairer comparison.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:06 PM
jowens36

I have been on both ships. My wife and I had a great time on the Miracle --- however the food and service is a notch lower than RCCL in my opinion. The Miracle is more glitzy while the RCCL is not as Vegas. Both ships are nice and you will enjoy either but I do perfer RCCL and the Explorer is a great ship (we took it for our honeymoon). This Saturday we take the Serenade from San Juan!
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Yeoman

Everyone will have their own opinion. The newest Carnival ship we've been on was the Pride when they just came out.(sister ship to the Miracle) We just got back from the Mariner with RCCL. I loved both, but I thought the shows were MUCH better on Carnival. The food was a notch better on Carnival as well.
We never cruise in the summer, (until this June) so I'm not sure what we're in for with more kids on board. We don't usually have many as we got when they're in school.

The price we paid, there wasn't a huge difference in price. I'm surprised to hear there's such a difference.
RCCL does have the rock climbing, mini golf, ice skating. Both have kids clubs.

We also wanted a change and to compare the two. Maybe you could ck out a different time of the year. The summer is the highest prices. If you can go in the Fall or winter, it's much cheaper.

If money really is an issue, I'd stick with Carnival or try a cheaper time of the yr to go on RCCL.
Have fun whatever line you decide!
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Yeoman

I have sailed w/Carnival 3 times, the Destiny, Holiday and Sensation. Have sailed RD 3 times also, Explorer, Majesty and Jewel, and have booked the Navigator for 5-14-05. Our first cruise was on the Destiny, and we had a blast. We had so much fun, decided to take the kids, then 19 and 21. We took them on the Explorer 5/03, and they loved it. There is so much more to do IMO on the Voyager class ships. The ice skating show is truly the best show on the seas. My son then went on the Sensation, which is a smaller ship, but said that there was absolutely no comparison. If you can afford the extra money, take the Explorer, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

The entertainment on the Jewel was extraordinary. The best we have seen, other than the ice show on the Voyager class. The Royal Promenade in the middle of the Voyager class ships is something to be seen. They have 2 mardi gras type parades during the cruise, and have other entertainment daily (like mimes, juggles, etc).

Also, the food on the Jewel on the 1/29/05 sailing was very good. IMO, the food is about the same on Carnival and RC.

It is a very difficult choice as to which cruise to take. Since you have already done 3 Carnival, maybe you can splurge on the Explorer and see for yourself what the difference is. The Explorer is a beautiful ship and we had an excellent time.

You will have a great time whichever line you choose to go on. Maybe one thing that can help you out is if the Explorer is almost full, and the Miarcle still has lots of cabins available, maybe that will tell you something??

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Captain

I've sailed RCCL many times and Carnival a few times...Did a ship inspection
on the Miracle a few months ago and here is the difference...Carnival just doesn't
get it...their decor is just cheap, glitzy...not at all top notch like RCCL. We were on
the Mariner last year and it was wonderful...kids will love it...lots to do and other
kids travelling, too. Food was good, tho, not exceptional...I think it is rare to find
exceptional food on RCCL, Carnival, even Celebrity.

If you don't mind a more "carnival" atmosphere, then go for less money..if you
value a more upscale surrounding...no RCCL.

Have fun.

Lou
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Tom M

Paul,

If you are lucky enough to get on the Miracle do so - superior entertainment, excellent food and service, new and lovely ship so I'm told. Have done 26 cruises on all the cruise lines (7 on Carnival - more bang for the buck) I and my sister are going on the Mariner Of The Seas out of Canaveral. I am somewhat curious about the rock -climbing thing and the Ice Capades but you know you can experience these sort of adventures at a land-based venue. I'm sort of guessing Carnival's food and entertainment are going to blow RCI's efforts right off the Lido Deck. I'm certain the Mariner will be an exciting cruise but don't underestimate the Carnival Line.
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:33 PM
ilene

Paul, would you consider the Radiance class instead - we just went and the difference between the Radiance class aand the Voyager ships was about $1000 for 4 people. That may bring you closer to the Carnival price. The main diff is that the ship is slightly smaller (but still huge) and there is no ice skating rink. They still have the rock climbing wall and a separate disco for the teens. Everything else we thought was exceptional - this was our first RCL - we had been on many Celebrity cruises and 1 Carnival.
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:04 PM
MT

There is no comparison between RC Explorer and Carnival Miracle when your traveling with kids or teenagers. There just isn't much to do on Carnival for kids or teens. I've been on 10 Carnival cruises and 7 RC cruises. Just took kids (ages 12 & 13) on Thankgiving 7 day cruise on Carnival Truimph and after a couple of days they got bored on the ship. But last year we went on RC Mariner of the Seas and they never got bored. Don't get me wrong we had a great time on both cruises, but I already re-booked Mariner for thanksgiving 2005.

My rule on this is Carnival is more of a adult party boat and will cruise with adults friends (no kids). RC large ships are worth the extra $1300.00 when your traveling with kids or teens.

Carnival has always been a cheaper cruise.

***The Mariner by far is the most incredible ship that we have traveled on. Hands down.

Good luck with your decision, but don't wait to long summer cruises always sell out fast and price will go up everyday.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM
big apple

Lou, Sorry to disagree as food on Celebrity much better than RCLhands down.Have been on numerous Celebrity and RCL and this is my opinion.You will not find any better pastries than Celebrity and theirv alternative restaurant much better than anything on RCL.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival vs Royal Caribbean

REgarding food, Celebrity wins hands down. I have cruised RCL, Norwegian and Celebrity, Celebrity has the best food by far. However that isn;t stopping me from cruising on the repositioning cruise of the Voyager on 5/7/05.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
Admiral

For many years, I too was doing price comparisons for an RCI Explorer class ship vs. Carnival's newly built ships and Carnival won hands down. Each time for the same week, similar itineray and similar balcony cabin, the price was at least $500 per person double occupancy more on RCI. I finally found a "group" priced cruise to join (I did not know the group organizer.) and got a good deal. I would say for that price difference, go with Carnival and have a great time. The kids will love the water slide, variety of buffet meals as well as good food in the main dining room. Cabins are a little bigger overall too on Carnival's new ships. What is missing is the Promenade, the Ice Show, the climbing wall, mini-golf, good babysitting service, in-line skating etc. The family will still have a wonderful time.
Bon Voyage
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Passenger

NanaTravel

I think you summed it up. There are a few extras on RCI as you mentioned. I don't think it justifies over $1K difference. I have been on Carnival for the past 3 years and have had a great time.

I am just surprised that RCI can charge that much more and be booked. If I wanted to, I could not get a room for 4 people in July on any RCI ship doing the Southern Caribbean. For Carnival I have a choice of rooms.

For the western Caribbean the price difference is still large for the same destinations and RCI has a lot less rooms available. One agent mentioned that groups book a lot of rooms and as it gets into the no cancellation window without loosing your deposit (90 days prior to sailing), a lot of rooms will open up.

I hear mixed reviews on the food but most people say they give the edge to Carnival.

I would like a change but the cost difference and lack of rooms makes it an easy decision for me.

Paul D
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Passenger

I have cruised both and have decided that hands down, I preferred Carnival. We chose the Mariner for the extras - rock wall, full court bball, skating rink, etc. because we had teens with us. They didn't do any of it except for basketball. They just wanted to meet other kids and hang out with them (and the bars). I was very, very disappointed with the food on Royal Carib. The rooms were a bit larger on Mariner and the ship was larger, but on the Carnival cruise we met more people (because it was smaller) and the food was much better. The difference in price would have paid for more excursions.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Passenger

i think what we are all missing is that the original poster said one ship was almost full while the other ship had planty of room,,,,, its called supply and demand,, if a ship isnt filling up fast enough the cruise line will drop the price,,, if the ship is filling price goes up,,, i have yet to find carnival to be cheaper than RCCL for a balcony cabin,,, and i have sailed RCCL princess and carnival... I like all 3 lines , i go with whatevers cheaper , just as long as im not in NJ

12/10/04 3 Day Fascination to the Bahamas
05/07/05 8 Day Aruba Voyager of the Seas
Old March 25th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Whiteknight

You should have been able to do better on price than that, if you had shopped around with all the internet cruise agencies for a few months prior to the time you wanted to cruise. My friend and I are sailing on the Voyager on 4/23. We secured a balcony stateroom on level 8 for $1000 a person (double occupancy) or $2000 for the both of us. I couldn't do any better than that on a balcony statroom on Carnival.
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Passenger

We are going in July - Prime time. The RCI ship has no quad balconies left,evenif I wanted to book one now. We tried many agencies. I have heard RCI has a few promo's going on that gives you some money back after the cruise but there is still a significant difference between the 2 ships from a cost standpoint.

Paul D
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:37 PM
Rose M

1. Service - RCCL has a slight advantage
2. Entertainment - Carnival, definitely
3. Food - Carnival, absolutely
4. Shore excursions - basically all the same
5. Stateroom size - definitely Carnival
6. Kids programs - Carnival
7. Embarkation and disembarking - RCCL

I sail on both lines and found the best value on a Carnival cruise. I'm booked on RCCL in the summer but only for a short cruise....7 nights or longer, definitely Carnival.
Old March 31st, 2005, 05:35 PM
cruisermatt

We sailed on the Voyager in February... had the time of our lives! The Voyager got a new menu two sailings before us, and the food was beyond words.... exceptional! If all RCCL ships have this food... the extra money is worht it.... entertainment and everything was as good as can be!
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:16 AM
Passenger

No one commented on this in a previous post:
If you've not done Carnival before, and you don't mind the smoking/drunk teenagers on board, I would give it a try ... and do RCL when you're bored of the Carnival ships!

WOW! We are trying to make the same decision and this sentence really scares me, since my kids are 11 and 15. What did you see and how bad was it? Just one kid, a bunch of kids? Has anyone else seen anything like this on Carnival?

Thanks!
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Lorrie, after many Carnival ships, I can honestly say I have NEVER seen disorderly teens. Our last cruise was on the Spirit last November and there were over 800 children from 6 months to 18 y/o and it never seemed like it. They were all well behaved. When my sons were your kids age, they loved cruising and made many friends. My youngest still keeps in contact with 2 young ladies he met in 1999 and 2001. Just keep tabs on your kids, have check in times and use walkie talkies if necessary. Enjoy!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:01 PM
Admiral

I've done both and can say I'm not branding a cruiseline based upon a few instances. MY experience has been the drunken teens were on RCI cruises, but I'm sure they are on Carnival too. I just haven't seen them.

I believe the price difference you see is that TA's are no longer able to discount RCI cruises from their published fares. This has created a huge difference in price comparison.

I'm considering booking a Voyager cruise in November and the TA is offering to pay for the hotel room the night before and onboard champagne gift and transfers. This is now their method of competing without being able to discount fares. Consider this when price shopping.

Also, have you tried the bargain finders feature on this web site? They connect you to Cruisecompete.com and you supply them with the cruise you want and within a few hours you'll have emails from a multitude of TA's offering you their price for the cruise.
It's a great feature.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:05 PM
hydro-terp

Ive been on four CCL cruises, (Jubilee, Ecstacy, Sensation, and Destiny) and two RCCL cruises (Explorer of the Seas twice).

Id say Carnival is to Walmart what RCCL is to Target. The first three CCL cruises I went on were fine and I have no complaints. The last one I didnt care for. The midnight buffett was crappy and set up in the windjammer type eatery, service in the dining room was slow and the waiter unattentive, food was mundane and small portions, the ship felt very crowded and getting an elevator was near impossible in all but off-peak hours. They basically increased the passenger capacity by 1/3 and kept the same number of elevators as the Fantasy class. Dumb move.

Our last two cruises have been on RCCL's EoS. Food and service was fine, the cabin was a reasonable size with all kinds of ingenius storage crannys and had a nice balcony, you never felt crowded in the public areas, and the decor seamed a little more upscale then CCL.

CCL is definately more of a party atmosphere. Im not sure the money difference you quoted would make it worth going on RCCL but if your within the usual couple hundred $ pp difference between CCL and RCCL I'd choose RCCL.
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

The difference is like eating steak at a fine rest. or going to McDonald's. RCCL by far is the better choice.

Old April 1st, 2005, 10:12 PM
big apple

You need to check out Celebrity and will find a better comparison.
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:43 AM
mizboog

I've cruised Carnival, RCCL, NCL, and HAL. Overall I prefer NCL because of Freestyle dining and I prefer a mid-sized ship. That being said, I've NEVER been on a bad cruise. Some are better than others.

As for RCCL, I've read many comments about there's so much to do, and there is. It was a HUGE disappointment to me though. The Rock Climbing and the Ice Skating...everytime my boys ages 13 and 10 wanted to participate I had to go with them and watch them the WHOLE time! Now I didn't go on a ship to watch my kids skate and rock climb the entire week! It wasn't a matter of just signing a waiver and checking them in. The kids couldn't believe that there wasn't a slide at the pool though! The Royal Promenade was gorgeous and really cool to see all the events take place there. Entertainment was ok. Food is the worst of all lines that I've been on. The Cowboy Steak, is shoe leather! My kids did enjoy their trip, but there was stress for me over the rock climbing and ice skating, it was a constant fight. Another upsetting thing to me was the fact that 2 weeks before I sailed on The Navigator of the Seas, RCCL decided to test charging for Johnny Rockets. The test worked in their favor and now it's not free across the lines. I felt like I got nickled and dimed on on RCCL.

Carnival has the best food to me from all 4 lines. The pizza is my DH's favorite! My kids enjoyed themselves on Carnival, but prefer RCCL and NCL. The one thing I prefer on the other lines are the cabin choices. The 12 suite on Carnival doesn't compare to suites on other lines. On NCL I'm booked in a cabin with a separate kids bedroom and bathroom. When I travel with my boys we like to splurge and try to be as comfortable as possible. On Carnival we opt to get adjoining cabins. On the other lines we get the suites because of the space and the perks. VIP tendering, first on and off, concierge etc. I know this isn't a big deal to most, but it's an area that I think Carnival could add a few.

I could go on and on, but won't. Just beware of the whole rock climbing and ice skating, hopefully they've changed the rule that you don't have to stay with them the whole time! Any questions I'll be happy to answer. Overall I think Carnival is a better value.