Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Gern

Default Toddlers not welcome

If you take your toddler on a cruise, don't travel Royal Caribbean. They offer absolutely nothing for under 3 years old and still charge full price for their fare. They cannot use the pool or even the childrens "Adventure Club". All they offer is babysitting services so they must think toddlers should spend all day and night in the cramped cabin. Even the porta-cribs they provide are in disrepair. We were very disappointed with our experience.
Dinners were ok but breakfast was inedible and lunch just passable. The spa was located under the ball court so it was noisy and not the least bit relaxing. Complaint letter was answered with 'Sorry for your experience, please come again." Do yourself a favor and have your travel agent find a toddler friendly cruiseline.
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Toddlers not welcome

Good Morning,
I just have to give a different perspective. Having cruised RCCL on everything from Sovereign of the Seas to Voyager and taken the kids, here's another perspective. the first time we cruised was with an 18 month old. He wore swim diapers and was allowed in all the pools. We also had a portacrib that worked out fine and our cabin steward even managed to configure our cabin so it gave us more room. We never had a problem with diapers either. I just asked for extra plastic bags and would double bag them. There was never a diaper left in our cabin. In the dining room , his high chair was always ready and waiting and a bowl of bread sticks was there for him. I brought toys for him to play with by the pool and ended up with alot of other toddlers and parents playing right there. Yes, you are right in that there is no spot for toddlers except I believe the Voyager class has a playroom where you can take your child(but not leave them) I brought our stroller which again our steward found a spot for ( in a hallway closet) it was always accessible. It was because of this experience that we did decide to cruise Royal again and again and the last trip was in Alaska last June and we are now preparing for a cruise in Nov on the Legend. My kids are now 5 and 10 and will be taking their 5th cruise. The memories that we have of our first cruise as a family are wonderful and yes, it's different cruising with a little one but it can still be a great experience
Anne
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Jamiegunter

Well the first poster is correct about the pools. We just returned from EOS, no children that arent potty trained even with swimmers diapers werent allowed in pools at all. It was on the Compass every day. Celebrity also has this policy. I do know that Carnival allows toddlers in their program they offer. I believe it is 3 and up. Having a good travel agent is a plus when searching for a cruise that fits you best. Also you can do alot of research before you go to book. Thats what we do. Good luck, hope your next one is better.
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Next time, try the Disney line...they cater to families.
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:11 AM
newmexicoNita

The pool rules have been passed down for health reasons and all the arguments or defending one policy over the other will not change the fact that kids are not allowed in any ship pools regardless of what kind of diaper they are wearing. NCL and Celebrity have the same rules. As for no activities for kids under 3, this too, is fairly standard for many ships, but most have great activities for those 3 and older. RCI, Carnival and NCL all offer really great kids clubs. Again the kids need to be potty trained in most cases. The comments about cruising Disney lines is right on; of course they cater to the family. this is just a thought, but one to consider. As your toddler gets older then trying other lines will be a better bet. Good luck, NMNita
Old February 19th, 2005, 02:16 PM
hcat

What ship was it that had the spa UNDER a basketball court? That woiuld not be fun. We once had that at an alt dining venue--but I think it was an older ship....maybe not even Royal...The bouncing noise never let up & it was a disaster.. Sorry you did not enjoy your trip but can't support babies in diapers in any pool--too risky!
Old February 19th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Yeoman

We have taken my son on 3 RCI cruises over the last 3 New Years and had a good time! He was 11 mos (Enchantment), 23 mos (Navigator), and 35 mos (Mariner) for each trip. He was able to use the pool this last time, but honestly, on each trip the water was so cold not many people were swimming anyways. We didnt mind having him with us all the time, but did have my dad and brother along to give us a break if we needed it (only did 2 times on 2 cruises). What did we do on sea days? Our son loved to walk around exploring the ship (he knew his way around quicker than we did), ride the glass elevators (though was afraid of heights this last time), go to the arcade (which we tried to hide as long as possible, but my brother gave it up-our son was just happy to pretend to play the games), eat, people watch, nap in the cabin (the sun and sea air talk a toll on all of us), watch his portable dvd we brought along, etc. In port, we would sometimes shop in the morning, then head to a beach so he could dig in the sand and body surf. When we are home, every time my son sees a cruise comercial, he goes nuts saying we have to go on a trip on the ship again. We are booked on Brilliance for Christmas/New Years this year (Panama Canal) and will be bringing along our new baby this time! Our son will be able to use the Adventure Club, if and when he wants to!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:19 PM
HVR

Default Re: Re: Toddlers not welcome

There is a reason diapers arent allowed in pools... some little things called E. Coli O157 H7, Crytosporidia, & Giardia!!
hell--O!!!
If I saw a diaper in a pool you're darned skippy I'd demand an attendant to order the offender removed and the pool closed, drained, and cleaned. That kind of out break is the LAST thing needed on a cruise ship and all you Parents would then write nasty letters demanding free cruises.
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Passenger

RCCL is in the middle of rolling out a new program for kids 6-36 months there is some info on their web site. Its called aquababies and aquatots. Just search for it using one of those key words. We are trying to book the NOS for May and plan to try it out with our two year old. We tried carnival, but the activities that they offer for 2 year olds is free play penned in a little room. Not our idea of a good time for him. We will write an update when we get back.
KIm

Enchantment of the seas 2001
Gradeur of the Seas 1998
Soverign of the Seas 1997, 1996
Viking Serendade 1994
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:22 AM
andrea seale

yep.. I'm so excited to know that RCCL is just starting a program for toddlers and infants. They are joining up with Fisher Price and ift will look like 45 minute play group sessions with different themes. This will be fleet wide by the end of March. I'm taking my 2 year old on April 4th on Monarch... so my fingers are crossed.
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:51 PM

There is a reason diapers arent allowed in pools... some little things called E. Coli O157 H7, Crytosporidia, & Giardia!!
hell--O!!!
If I saw a diaper in a pool you're darned skippy I'd demand an attendant to order the offender removed and the pool closed, drained, and cleaned. That kind of out break is the LAST thing needed on a cruise ship and all you Parents would then write nasty letters demanding free cruises.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++=
HVR:
Well put, not to mention the GROSS factor.
Old February 21st, 2005, 05:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to *American*Cruiser*

On the Rhapsody did not take our little one..but now she is older..do they let 4 yr. olds swim in the pools?she is almost 5..or will be in june!Thanks!

Carnival Elation july 04
Carnival Ecstasy Nov.04
Royal Caribbean Grandeur March 5,2005
Grand Princess 12-17-2005!!

Old February 21st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Beginner

You bet. As long as she is potty trained...
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:08 PM
First Mate

Think about it ... Why would I want to swim in anyone's urine .... or the other stuff for that matter?
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:34 PM
Passenger

Just my two cents. The swim diapers are so snug that they hold everything in or out. My son's diaper is dry after being in the pool because the elastic and the plastic are so tight. Not to mention that Kids are not the only ones who pee in pools!

Kim

Gradeur of the Seas 1998
Viking Serendade 1994
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:54 PM
First Mate

I'm happy for your son & his diaper. However, I still don't want a child who is not potty trained in the pool. If the kid needs a diaper he's too young for the pool.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:32 AM
CO

Default Re: Re: Re: Toddlers not welcome

I agree about having diapers in pools. It shouldnt be done. We have two children that went through that until they were potty trained. Now days you have to take every precaution and I would hope other parents would see that too. I also agree that there is plenty of adults that would do their "business" in the pool. Theres no way to win unless you stay out of the pool.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:24 AM
Yeoman

My now 3 yr old son is able to swim on his own (no floatation) thanks to being able to swim in pools as early as 3 months! It wouldve been sooner had it been warmer outside! Most public pools allow swim diapers (check out the local YMCA where they offer infant swim classes as early as 6 months) so if you swim in pools, most likely so do babies. Ive seen some parents not even put a regular diaper on a baby in pools. I can understand about ships not allowing them since they are not chlorinated, but guess what, I can bet there are more adults than kids going pee in pools! I spent many years working as a life guard and I saw more kids than adults head to the bathrooms during the day. Swim diapers are snug fitting and hold the stuff in. When Ive removed my sons in the shower, I can tell if hes peed because it spills out.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:31 PM
Doris Miller

We just got back from the Vision of the Seas. A friend had her 18 month on board. She was told that babysitting would be available. NO BABYSITTING SERVICES WERE OFFERED ALL WEEK. She ended up exhausted and missed out on a lot of our group activities.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
Admiral

We met a couple with a 17 month old and they brought a babysitter (18 y/o neighbor girl) with them. They explained that the 3rd person fare was cheap and they felt more comfortable having someone they knew take care of their son. They could go out at night with no worries. They worked out a schedule giving them private time and the girl plenty of free time to enjoy herself too. And because she was 18, they didn't have to worry about extra paperwork from her parents, etc.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Admiral

It's not the "pee" I am worried about in a pool.....

Swim diapers can leak. They might not always, but they can and the cruiselines don't want to risk e-coli just so someone's toddler can swim.

I wonder if a toddler pool won't be added to go along with Royal's new toddler program. At my pool, there is a toddler pool where swim diapered toddlers and babies can swim, but not in the main pool.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM
jknichols

All the cruiselines make it pretty clear in their brochures, on their websites, and in their pre-cruise documentation what services are available to children, so didn't you know before you cruised that no services would be available for your toddler? Most cruiselines start their children's program at age 3 (and potty trained). Carnival starts at age 2 and will change diapers and Disney (I think) starts at 6 months.

I think it's a little unfair to complain about the cruiseline when a little pre-cruise research would have informed you of exactly what services to expect for your child.
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Admiral

I just took my 2 year old and 4 year old on a cruise in January and it was great, but I knew I had to take responsibility for the success or failure of our vacation and do my homework and not make any assumption about what sort of facilities were available to my children when choosing the ship and cruiseline. To be honest, all of the information I needed was pretty easy to find. Each cruiseline has different policies but I can tell you that if you want organized activities for your toddler it will have to be Carnival, NCL or Disney and if your toddler is under 2 then your only choice will be Disney. Carnival and Disney will change diapers, NCL will issue a pager and you are required to come and change your childs diaper immediately. The only other alternative would be Cunard which offers English Nannies to care for the small children. Also, it is my understanding that the new toddler program offered by RCCL is not offerring any sort of babysitting services for toddlers but it is basically a play area geared towards toddlers so they and their parents have an area to play. I think that there will be structured activities as well but a parent is to be with the child. If I have misunderstood something, I am sure someone will correct me. I am not aware of any cruise line that allows children in swim diapers due to reasons beaten to death above. I do not believe that Princess, who does chlorinate their pools permits it either.
I do not think it is fair to say that toddlers are not welcome on RCCL, however it doesn't sound as though your expectations were met, simply because your expectations were unrealistics and based on assumptions or misinformation.
In all fairness, you have every right to complain about the poorly planned location of the spa, the disrepair of the crib (did you ask to have it replaced with something in good repair?) and your opinion of the food quality. But had you done a little bit of research you would have discovered that RCCL did not offer group activities or group sitting services to children under three. Its kind of like if I made reservations at an all inclusive resort and showing up expecting them to entertain my kids without checking beforehand to find out if those services were even offered. It sounds as though you learned an expensive and dissapointing lesson. Sorry it happened, as I know how much the mother of a toddler needs a "real" vacation to relax and recharge her batteries, because I know I did. You didn't mention your childs age but if by chance he/she will be 2 years old by the time you are ready for your next vacation, you may want to consider Carnival. They will allow you the freedom to do some things on your own while the kiddo is having fun and they offer reduced rates for 3rd and 4th passengers. I feel they did a fantastic job with both of my kids ( and I am very persnickity when it comes to my kids). Luckily our two year old is already potty trained and we've booked another Carnival Cruise in November on a new ship which we are really looking forward to, especially now that we know what to expect. I think that we may try RCCL in 2006 and see how we like them, But honestly take some time to check these things out before you book and you will be richly rewarded.
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Ryansmama: I am curious about your post regarding trying Carnival for your 2 year old.
you said "We tried carnival, but the activities that they offer for 2 year olds is free play penned in a little room." Was that your experience or what you were told they did? I know that when my 2 year old daughter was in Camp Carnival she participated in the same activities as my 4 year old. Every day they went to Camp they came back with crafts, artwork, and they had all sorts of things to keep the kids busy and happy. I have a drawerful of treasures they created in Camp Carnival. I have a mug that my two year old artfully decorated. I am just curious, because if there are inconsistencies in this area I definitely want to know about it before we go on our next cruise. I was very happy with the variety of activities offered and really didn't want the kids out of the play area too much aside from when they would go to eat as a group with the counselors or take walks together and sing cute little songs. I would be afraid of them going to the pool with anyone but hubby and I or spending too much time out in the sun because they have very fair complexions and even with the strongest sunscreens can sunburn easily. Thanks for any feedback you can offer.
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Passenger

We sailed on the celebration, which from looking at the ship it was obvious that it was carnivals oldest, and that they had just about forgoten about it. The play room was about 15 x 15. When reading the carnival capers for this age group 2-5 it was full of activities, however any activity that left the playroom it specifically said 2-3 stay in playroom. He did do the coloring activity with the mug but that was about all. The kids just went to the playroom. I reminded me a lot of the playroom at our gym. There was very little for him to do, the older kids went off and the little kids just stayed there. The youth staff on this ship was not particularly warm or friendly. I was so dispointed by the whole experience. When we got home we called Customer service and were offered a welcome aboard package on our next cruise. I asked if they sent that to Royal Carribean ships, becuase that would be who our next time would be with. If you have any specific questions just let me know.

Kim

Gradeur of the Seas 1998
Viking Serendade 1994
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Kim, Thanks for sharing your experience. I will be checking up on the kids club on the Liberty before we cruise. It sounds like experiences might vary on certain ships.