Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:38 AM
J Lo

Default What did you forget that you wish you brought?

Hi Everyone,

Going on Voyageur next week! I hate to forget anything! What do you wish you brought that you forgot? I'm starting my packing list ...

What do you wish you knew earlier in your cruise? Tips?

J Lo
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2005, 05:52 AM
Passenger

Default Re: What did you forget that you wish you brought?

The one thing that I really wished for was gatorade. One of my sons got sick on our first cruise and sodas weren't keeping him hydrated. Now I pack a few packets of powdered gatorade. I couldn't find it anywhere on the ship. It really comes in handy with kids and being in the sun all day.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:45 AM
Passenger

There was a suggestion on these boards to bring along Fabreeze. If your cabin had a smoky smell you could use it on the curtains, furniture, etc. We did bring it and did use it and were very happy to have it. Whoever originally made that suggestion, Thank you!
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:17 AM
Yeoman

More medicines/first aid supplies for a toddler! First cruise he burned himself, this last one he had a killer fever because of an ear infection. Tylenol wasnt cutting it, so I paid a fortune for a visit to the ship dr (both times-thank goodness for insurance which covered both trips) and childrens motrin! Also, I purposely forgot the walkie talkies the first two cruises, but brought them on the last one-wish I had left them at home! Downy Wrinkle Release goes everywhere with us to get out the wrinkles (vs using/lugging a steamer/iron), small sand toys for our son-those are the big ones!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

More money!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:37 AM
Sis

Not to bring the husband
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:47 AM
Yeoman

I second the motion on the "Downy Wrinkle Release." We put it in a smaller, travel sprayer and label it.
Old February 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: What did you forget that you wish you brought?

Sis~ Amen to that one!! Keep trying to talk him into staying home but for some reason he just isn't falling for it!!

Jenn~
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:56 PM
kmsolo

Rx glasses cleaner. I really helps with the salt water dried on your lenses, I am affraid to wear my contacts in the water and usually wear my sunglasses on excursions...
Also would never leave home without an alarmclock that lights up. I brought a clock knowing that my room wouldn't have one, but inside cabins can get so dark. One that illuminates is helpful...
Old February 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM
Passenger

Hello,

Just got off the Grandeur two weeks ago. Someone suggested we bring a jar travel candle for our stateroom/bathroom which ended up being a great suggestion. Also, no irons were in the stateroom, so we brought a small travel iron. Finally, be sure to pack a light weight jacket...it can get windy up on deck. Have fun!
Old February 21st, 2005, 06:41 PM
J Lo

Wow - I'm getting excited - I can't believe I forgot to add medicines to my list - and a night light.

Do the Voyageuer have an alarm clock or should I bring one?

Also - excuse my stupidity - but what is this wrinkle thing - where do I buy it and does it mean I won't have to iron my clothes (I don't have a travel iron). My clothes are always so wrinkled!

J Lo
Old February 21st, 2005, 06:44 PM
Matt Karp

A backpack comes in handy for going ashore. Room for water, sunscrean, etc. as well as somewhere to sore your loot!
Old February 21st, 2005, 06:50 PM
kashakarkar

Default Re: Re: What did you forget that you wish you brought?

Here is a list that I have saved on my computer that I use each time we cruise......

Cruise documents, Passports, Birth Certificates, Airline Tickets - Make 2 copies of all itineraries and documents - leave 1 at home and pack the other seperately
Small bills...for tipping...taxi drivers, port workers (guys that unload your luggage at pier), etc.

LED clock - travel alarm clock - should be one that you can see in the dark - bring batteries for backup
Shoe storage "thingy" .to hang...not so much for shoes...but it has great little cubbies for things like cameras...purses...whatever you want out of the way.
Camera, regular and underwater, film if not using digital, extra memory cards for digital camera camera battery rechargers, and/or extra camera batteries
Cell Phone and charger
Talk - Abouts & Chargers
Laptop Computer - we download our digital photos each day(and our friends) so we can have a fresh clean memory card each day.

Small Flashlight, Surge Protector - multi tap plug - power strip, flat low power usage night lights

Insulated mug for my coffee during the day or fill it with ice water, tea, lemonade, etc - free or whatever else you choose!
Insulated water jugs with strap for excursions - fill with ice/water Collapsible Cooler

Medications: Prescriptions (order refills ahead of time) and advil, immodium, sudafed, Bonnine, Ginger, Airborne, Vitamins etc., Seabands

Various sized band-aids & neosporin

Ear Plugs, Sunscreen - spray/squirt on if you prefer,SPF Lip Balm for lips and also great for in between the braids if you have them done.

Lanyards wrist or neck - have hole punched in Cruise Card - used for soda card and also room key - and you know where it is, no pockets, no worries!
There is a slot on the wall, usually near the phone on the vanity to keep them while in your room

Duct tape!!! - 1001 uses ie - damaged luggage, a door flapping in the wind, a falling out hem……I found a flat pack at Walmart in the Paint Dept

Palmolive Dish Wipes, sanitizing wipes, wet ones, woolite, Purell Hand Sanitizer, Yankee Candle Flat cardboard airfresheners
Fabreeze, Shout wipes, small squirt bottle - squirt water onto wrinkled clothes and Voila the wrinkles just fall out!
Travel iron/steamer, if you care - The cruiselines do not supply irons as they are a major fire hazard, so if you have a steamer that would be better

Snorkel gear. Saves a few bucks and you're sure to have the right fit.

Highlighter pen to mark the daily newsletter comes in handy, Post it Notes, Sharpie Marker, preprinted labels for postcards or list of names/addresses

Backbacks .....Great for cameras, towels, snorkel gear, we usually carried an apple and an orange for a snack at the beach.
Beach Bag / carry bag / tote bag Twin Sized Sheet for beach so towels aren't covered in sand from laying on them

Binoculars - great for seeing dolphins and other sea-life, and a ton of other uses.

Zip-loc bags of different sizes. We bring bagels to feed fish, sandwiches for snacks on shore, they hold shells and sand,
wet shoes or bathing suits for the ride home, keep things dry if you're doing a "wet" excursion, etc....
Pack in the giant 2 gal size - compress air out, takes up less space, less wrinkles. Definitely pack anything that is "Leakable" in a ziploc

Miniature Vodka, Rum and Bailey's from the liquor store (in carry-on for the plane and/or for suitcase)!

Extra cable/zip ties & clippers - We put them in a zip bag in the outside zipper of our luggage.

Clothespins, Little packs of Kleenex Hat , Eye/Sunglass neckholder Waterproof/resistant watch - $6 @ walmart

Extra pair prescription glasses, extra contact lenses, SUNGLASSES, Small sewing kit

Watersocks/shoes - a must have for Dunns Falls or Old Sneakers, Waterproof pouches to hold Cruise Card, Credit Card, Cash while snorkeling

Water Bottles- We usually pack one in our carry-on - It must be unopened to get on the plane with it. You can refill in your room, put in refridgerator/freezer.
Saves $$$ as purchasing is mucho expensivo!!!

If you bring an underwater camera, and you're flying home, be sure to pack it in your carryon bag and hand it to the security people.
The airport x-ray machines ruined all three of the cameras I brought home from Grand Cayman last year.

If you're taking the kid's out of school, make sure to notify the school that the kids will be out. If you're not taking the kids with you
be sure to let the school know who will be responsible for them while you are gone and how the school can reach the responsible person if/when needed.

Stop the newspaper / Mail Return Library Books
Turn off Ice Maker Return Video Rentals
Get everything dry cleaned Pay Bills / Mail out to box
Make sure prescriptions are filled Re-program Heating/Cooling Thermostat
Get traveler's checks Water plants
Send out b-day/anniv. cards Run Dishwasher - Eewww if not!!!!
Line up someone to feed the pets Trash Cans Out

After you've packed everything, take a good look and remove 1/3 of your packed clothes.

Try and go with a color theme to cut down on the # of shoes you'll need to bring. I usually go with a black theme and will wear the same skirt/pants
more than 1x and just mix up the tops

Must have flip flops, bathing suit cover up.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dang, and I thought I had remembered everything. Next time I will try and remember to buy a sewing kit. My husband swears I pack everything I own. I also like to concept to unpack 1/3 of your clothes. I really overpack everytime.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
Yeoman

"Downy Wrinkle Release" is sold at my local supermarkets and "Targets" etc. Am pretty sure it is sold nationally from the feedback on the boards. And it does work! Spray it on, stretch the fabric and go. Doesn't look like you just got it out of the dry cleaners but doesn't look like you just pulled it from the suitcasde either.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
VICTORIA#61

BINOCULARS
Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

We actually took our binoculars and never used them. Oh well maybe next time. We couldn't go on the top decks for fear of getting blown off. The winds were horrible.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:48 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to energizedbunnny

Camcorder charger and cell phone chargers.
We forgot ours last cruise. Although we happened to meet up with a nice couple that had the same camera as ours and we borrowed it one evening to charge it for my sister-in-laws renewal of thier vows.
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Passenger

Energizedbunny, I HAVE TO AGREE. I bought a brand new camera for the cruise and an extra card for it. Tha camera took wonderful pictures. You guessed it....I forgot the charger! Spent the trip using disposables, pictures were ok, but I was a little disappointed, and really felt dumb. Will NEVER forget it again!!! Did remember the cell phone charger though.

Laura

Carnival
Elation - 2003, 2004
Conquest - 2005, 2009, 2010
Spirit - 2009
Royal Caribbean
Rhapsody - 2005

Old February 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Passenger

kashakarkar, I have to laugh your list is as bad as mine. The group that I traveled with last May on the Explorer (for a St.Thomas wedding) all laughed at me. HOWEVER, didn't they all come to me when they needed something. I think the only thing I didn't have was the kitchen sink. There wasn't much on your list that I also didn't bring. In addition I did also packed waterproof pouches, eye glass repair kit. You just never know. It all sounds like alot but when people see the list they think its all full sizes. So I have to say I'm not usually missing anything...

Liberty of the Seas
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:08 AM
FC

I love the list!! I printed it and am going to use it as my guideline!! Thanks!!

One question, I notice most people tell you to bring waterproof pouch to put belongings in when going ashore, where do I get one?? I have looked at Wal-mart, Target, KMart and Dick's sporting goods and they all act like I"m nuts!! Any help would be appreciated.

We sail this saturday 3/5/05 from Ft. Lauderdale!!

Thanks,

FC
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:10 AM
kashakarkar

We got our hard plastic waterproof "wallets" at the local marine/boating supply store. U.S. Boat/Marine I think they are called. They are about 1.5 x 2.5 inches large enough to fit your cruise card/credit card and a bit of cash. The top is on a hinge. There are also waterproof pouches that are larger, but I can't remember where I got them........I thought it was Sports Authority in either the camping/hunting or swimming department.
Hope this helps.
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

I got a water proof container that fir my glasses and my sea pass card. They sell them at places that sell sporting goods in the water sports area, they work well, so that you can swim and not worry about your cash or i.d. getting wet.
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Rose M.

The waterproof containers are sold at any dive shop, I don't know where you live but in Florida there a lots of dive shops and they sell them in different sizes. On my first cruise, one of my shirts was totally wrinkled so I went to the laundry room on the ship to press it and the bottom of the iron had a rough spot on it and it totally destroyed by blouse with one swipe. Before my first cruise eveyone told me I couldn't bring liquor on board but I purchased some inexpensive plastic bottles with a tight twist on top at Wal-Mart and filled them with liquor and put them in my carry-on mixed in with my shampoo/conditioner bottles, also packed bottles of water. My family are snorkelers so we bring our own snorkle equipment. I think Kashakarbar covered just about everything, medicine is of paramount importance, they sell some on the ship but it is outrageously priced and if you need Pepto-Bismol at 3:00 a.m., the on-board store is closed. If you purchase a large bottle of Tums, put half of the bottle in a zip proof plastic baggie, it will lay flat and you can pack more. Take everything out of the boxes/bottles and re-pack, it saves room. And, I always pack my pillow.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Admiral

The latest tip I received which is now my favorite tip was the hanging shoe organizer. I got it at WalMart for about $8 and it has clear plastic pouches. You can hang it on the closet door and store all your sunscreen, shoes, extra batteries, walkie-talkies, snorkel mask, ball caps, waterproof container, note pads, highlighters, sunglasses, travel iron, disposable camera, Leatherman's tool, books, kleenex, chargers, and just about anything else you might take.

It's great because it keeps everything right next to the door and away from your living quarters.

Regards,
Thomas