Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:07 AM
Cruisin Couple

Default Navigator of the Seas....

We are sailing to the Eastern Caribbean in Sept and booked the insiide cabin. The oceanview seemed alot just to look out of a dirty window mind you. This is our first cruise, from those who may know, is an outside balcony worth the upgrade at $480? It is alot and almost 1/2 of what we are going to bring to spend etc.

Thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks Crusin Couple
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2005, 05:09 AM
new cruiser

Default Re: Navigator of the Seas....

my wife and i have cruised twice, once on an inside and once on balcony.....the balcony takes cruising to another level. I would only cruise that way, absolutely worth the 480!
Old February 21st, 2005, 05:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

For me its the same, once you have a balcony, its the only way to cruise, it would be worth it to pay the extra.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 21st, 2005, 06:32 AM
kdonner

Well we have done both... I have to say I enjoyed the balcony alot... and most of the time that is what we go for.. but the inside wasnt bad at all either... heck you dont spend alot of time in the room anyway.. about the only setback was you had to get dressed and go out on the deck to see the weather for the day.. but that wasnt a major problem.. for sleeping the inside cabin was nice because its always good and dark..
but like I say... we do enjoy the balcony... we are booked on a balcony in April on the Explorer...
Ken
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:33 AM
venice

I've done both also and would vote for the balcony..the bigger the ship, there are more people and more crowds and the balcony gives you private quiet time where you can watch the sunset, read etc., so I would suggest if the extra cost is within your range you try it once and then have a basis to make future decisions.

also if you cruise alot you should focus on one or two cruise lines which increases your chance of getting an upgrade to a balcony
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:49 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Navigator of the Seas....

Definately, the balcony IS worth it!
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:23 AM
Yeoman

Go for the balcony, especially if you have young kids! We like to sit out there while our son naps (we can talk, read without disturbing him). We all like to be out there to watch the ship pull in and out of port, see the sights, have the door open at night while sailing for the fresh air and sounds, etc. The one time in Cozumel while our son was napping, we watched a storm roll into the city. Afterwards, we got to see a beautiful rainbow! Its nice not having to dress and run up to the decks to see everything. Plus its fun in port to look into and compare rooms on other ships that are docked right next to you!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:58 AM
LoriJ

We really like an inside cabin. I was once upgraded to a balcony cabin and it was nice, but I wouldn't pay to stay in a balcony cabin. We like it to be dark when we sleep, with a balcony cabin, you wake up when the sun is coming up. With an inside cabin, you can also take naps in the afternoon in the dark. All you do is sleep and shower in your cabin, so I say stay in an inside cabin and then you'll have extra money to spend on shore excursions, drinks, souveniers, etc.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:40 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to Dave Pearce Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Pearce

I think a balcony is worth the extra price. However, instead of an inside cabin, check to see if you can get a promanade room. That way you can get a window to the Royal Promanade and watch the parades and stuff from your room. Also makes the room seem bigger.

Ruby Princess - Nov 11-18, 2012
Monarch Of the Seas - Oct 18-22, 2010
Radiance Of the Seas - Oct 14-19, 2009
Sovereign Of the Seas - Sept 26-29, 2008
Explorer Of the Seas - May 15-22, 2005
Voyager Of the Seas - May 19-26, 2002
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:08 PM
pach

Just booked our 2nd cruise, first one we had a Junior Suite, there's no going back now!
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM
Passenger

Balcony absolutely. I left our balcony drapes open all night and woke up to a gorgeous sunrise and beautiful island. There is nothing like it!

Caribbean Trip Reports & Reviews
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Navigator of the Seas....

I think the author of this thread was asking about upgrading from an inside to an outside, oceanview (just with window), not all the way up to an outside with a balcony. I just got off the Navigator, was in an oceanview (not with a balcony). I thought it was great compared to an inside and definely worth the extra money. I would upgrade further to an outside with a balcony if you think you will spend a lot of time in the cabin. We spent all our time elsewhere, so a balcony would have been a waste of $$ for us.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Wouldn't do anything but a balcony. We don't spend much time in the cabin but the time spent there with a balcony is well worth it. As far as keeping your room dark... that's what drapes are for, never had a problem even during the day. Balconies are the best, especially if you just need quiet time away from the crowds to enjoy the scenery. But I will also say this... cruising is awsome no matter where you sleep. Personally, I prefer a balcony. And by the way... the Navigator is a beautiful ship, you will have the time of your life!

professional-engineer without-a-prescription gas-prices pet-meds nursing-association society-of-cpas ****** gastroenterology pharmacy gynecologist no-call-list insurance-personal nursing geology ****** journeyman travel-agencies nurses-association toy-stores bartending Brand-******* insurance-licensing bridal-stores higher-education animal-shelters private-school police-departments eye-doctor drug-stores bass-federation teachers manganese-injury dental-plans veterans anesthesia Levaquin orthodontist yellow-pages travel-agent nail-technician

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:15 AM
Yeoman

We too never had a problem with the sunlight coming in as long as the drapes were closed!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:23 PM
VICTORIA#61

YES, THE QUALITY OF THE AIRCONDITIONER IN THE ROOM IS HORRIBLE. I WOULD PAY ANY PRICE FOR FRESH AIR. JUST BACK NAV WEST CARRIB
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Brandy

We are also going on the Eastern Carribean cruise on the Navigator on the 10th of September. Is this the same cruise? We are also getting a balcony room only because it was the only rooms left. We may or may not keep it if we get a regular room open. I think it would be really nice however.
Old March 5th, 2005, 02:03 PM
jfd

I cruise on a budget and would rather do lowest inside and get on the ship, spend the money another way. I did have a balcony once and loved it--got a great price, but wouldn't pay a bundle more for it otherwise.
Old March 5th, 2005, 03:59 PM
libbynan

I think it depends on the individual and their cruise style........ I would never go without having a balcony........ we leave the door open at night for fresh air....... we have coffee and/or eat breakfast on the balcony......... we read there......... watch the sea go by......... saw a storm in the distance and a DOUBLE rainbow. But we are not particularly party people and don't spend our money on alcohol or shopping....... the balcony is our escape from crowds and noise (but not from cigarette smoke as they are many others smoking venue of choice). If you don't want or need that escape outlet or spend all onboard time partying hearty (not that there is anything wrong with that if it is your choice), you don't need a balcony and shouldn't spend the money.
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Tiffani

We have never been in an inside cabin. We were in a balcony room and loved it. I would never cruise in anything other than a balcony. Next week we are leaving on the VOS- and we will be in a Jr. suite- can't wait to see what that room is like. I think it is well worth the extra $480. You can have breakfast out there in the mornings- cocktails before dinner - it just adds so much to your vacation. I also love to sleep with the door open - to feel the air and hear the ocean is awesome.
Old March 6th, 2005, 03:19 PM
kandk

You seem to be in the same boat (ship) that we are in. We are booked on the Navigator this December and it is an inside cabin including our two girls, 11 & 13. We have not booked a balcony for two reasons. First, the consistent posts that I would never go back to an in side cabin, and second, the $480 goes a long way to the next cruise. We have been in an inside cabin 4 times, once with our kids 8 and 10 at the time. I would say that it was cozy, but we have too much fun on board that there was very little time spent in the cabin. If you want the balcony to catch the sun, I hope that you are on the right side of the ship. You might have to go up on deck to find it anyway. I also love to just watch the people and activity that happens on deck, something you will not find on the balcony.

I believe that it all comes down to what YOU want out of the experience.
Old March 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Kathy Cunningham

yes balcony is really worth it . It is so soso nice to go into ports and be able to stand out there and see where you are going...my husband even slept out there some...we have the funniest pictures..It is nice to leave the sliding glass door open and listen to the ocean while you are sleep...Great...
Old March 8th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Brandy,

We are also on Navigator of the Seas 9/10/05 - with a balcony.

We are on deck 6, room 6616. Where are you???? Hope we can get to know each other a little before then.
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:57 PM
joanne1

hi we are also sailing 9/10, we have a balcony room. we prefer that, but have also had inside rooms. whatever your budget will allow. just remember if the people prior to you smoked in your cabin you will smell it all week (bring a candle) i think you will have a fabulous time regardless of where you shower and sleep. we are going with another couple and they booked an interior room. $480 extra spending may also add a little something to your trip. hope this helps see you onboard!
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Tommica

I have cruised4 times. Twice with oceanview and twice with a balcony.
The balcony is great and won't book anything but a balcony. It is relaxing to arrive and depart ports and be able to sit on the balcony. Balconies also give you the opportunity to talk with cabin neighbors and get to know them. You may not otherwise meet them during your cruise.
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Brandy

Shirley,

We are from Oregon, we are on deck 8, where are you guys from?