Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:51 PM
starlite

Default Chankanaab Park

I think from everything I have seen posted, that we will try Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. It seems like there will be something for everyone there .. sun/sand ... snorkeling and maybe even dolphin swim (travel w/husband and 2 older teen boys)? We would like to taxi there from the pier...but can anyone help with the pronounciation of this park? It is pronouned just as it is spelled? I know that's a silly request, but we will have to let a cab driver know where to take us.
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:57 PM
wesnine

Default Re: Chankanaab Park

Try Playa Sol Beach. I went there two years ago and had a wonderful time.
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:10 PM
starlite

What is it like at Playa Sol? What is there to do?
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:33 PM
wesnine

Default Re: Re: Chankanaab Park

It is a very large beach with huts and restaurants and drinks galore! I just remember that I rented wave-runners, imbibed, and it was a blast. My sister and her fiancee at the time went parasailing.

I think it was cheap, too. A flat fee for drinks, etc for the day. It is a good place to go if you want some relaxation time. Look into it and tell me what you think.
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:34 PM
wesnine

Default Re: Re: Re: Chankanaab Park

oh, yeah, there is a lot of shopping around there, too. Sorry I can't give more descriptive responses.
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Yeoman

"Chuck - a - nub"
We were there last year and enjoyed it. Small beach but the park is very pretty. It does cost to get in there but it wasn't expensive. The cab wasn't very expensive either. If you are going mainly for the beach - the beach there isn't very large but not many people there.

Old February 24th, 2005, 04:01 PM
bpm

Beautiful place well worth the cost of admision. Just watch out for the photo guy...They photograph everyone snorkeling. We didnt request photos. As you are leaving the park they harass you to buy the photo. I forgot what they wanted for a picture but at the time i thought it was a bit much I made him an offer and he just about freaked out,. so, I told him to throw the photos out and left.. Everyone else we encountered in Cozumel were ok.. This happened about 4 years ago so this guy might be gone. If you go into the photo shop be aware.

bpm
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Rose M.

When you get off the ship, you must walk thru the shops to get to the taxi stand, they have a list of the most frequented attractions on a board with the price so there is no guess work about pricing and you don't have to barter for the taxi fare.....Chan-Ka-Nob, I believe, is the correct pronunciation. Our group of 8 shared a van and I believe the cost was $20 one way (which we split)...it's only a ten minute ride from the pier....the park is very nice and clean....admission was $12 or $14 for adults...there is a very shallow lagoon for small children, a restaurant with pretty good food, and waiters strolling up and down the beach taking drink orders. The only thing that is challenging is actually getting into the water, the beach does not slope gradually into the water, you have to climb down a few stone steps to enter the water. There is a float off shore you can swim to and the snorkeling was very good between the beach and float, the water was clean and beautiful. A few in our party would have preferred a gradual sandy beach into the water but overall we enjoyed the park, the food and the Pina Coladas served in a whole pineapple!!
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM
starlite

Thanks for all the great information. Playa Sol Beach sounds like a great time, too. Which do you think would be good for snorkeling and actually being able to see the fish? My last snorkeling experience was in pretty cloudy/heavy waters, not the crystal clear waters you see in the ads. Maybe we're dreaming hoping to find such a place.
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM
hcat

for great snorkeling get out to the Reef (maybe called Playacar or something like that) we saw it in a semisubmersile & can't wait to go back to snorkel
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Rose M.

When we visited Chankanaab Park last May, the water was calm, clear and clean and the snorkeling fantastic (water was a little chilly tho). The weather will definitely influence what kind of sea day you'll have regardless of which beach you go to...it's all a matter of luck.
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kcannava

Look out for the parrot guy. Tried to take a pix of the birds and he stepped in and turned his back to try and mess up my pix. HE wants you to hold the birds and he will take pix and SELL it to you. Screw that, I'll go to a pet store. Good snorkling and you can rent right there like $3/day not alot of reefs but tons of neat fish and statues underwater. Take a underwater camera AND buy that before you cruise cause its too expensive from the ship or shopps in Key West or Mexico.

Old February 25th, 2005, 02:27 PM
starlite

Thanks for all the input...great information. I tried surfing the web for information on both Chankanaab and Playa Sol Beach. Both "look" like neat places, but there is nothing that compares to first hand experience. Thanks again!
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Passenger

You will love it. If you want to swim with the dolphins. I reccmond shoretrips.com.
I used them last year, they were great, they even followed up with me a week after my cruise to see how I liked the experience. Prices were a little cheaper then on the cruise ship.
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM
DickT

Had a great time by myself at Chankanaab Park in 2002. The cab driver knew right where it was and the ride was cheap. As I entered the Park, I followed a path off to the side that led through jungle-like gardens, with ponds, flowers, a few benches,etc. Further on was a display of Mayan culture, including a hut where a woman was preparing tortillas as she answered questions on Mayan civilization. I was the only one there. Apparently, most tourists had gone directly to the beach. I had a great time speaking Spanish with this lady as she taught me a phrase or two in Mayan, phrases I later tried out on the cab drive when I returned to Cozumel. The snorkeling was good too. Cost me about $5 for equipment.
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Morticia

Skip the bird and sea lion show. Waste of time.
One bird, one sea lion, one "Britney" (ugly guy in drag) and stupid plot.
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:38 AM
browezilla

Chankanaab is a really nice park. If you're looking for something smaller, try Paradise Beach. It has a water trampoline, iceberg, etc. Admission to the beach is free, the toys is $5/person.
http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches