Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Sis

Default Prime Time Last Night

Did anyone see Prime time last night.......well it show some really disgusting stuff on ships......Princess, Carnival, RCI and Holland. Were the four ships they were referring to. They showed how there were seamen stains on walls, bathroom handles, blankets, ice tray, front of refrigerator door, and urine stains on floor, phone, carpet.......it was terrible. They also said that noro virus is from food and the pool water, public bathrooms.....that had a soap dispenser in there that never worked. So how clean can some be if they aren't washing their hands. Makes you think about going away.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Prime Time Last Night

No, I missed that one. What are seamen stains? Are these stains the crew (sea men)leaves on the walls? Urine stains on the phones? Disgusting! I may never cruise again.... Nah, I'll take my chances.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:12 AM
wesnine

HAHAHA - Dave the wave
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Sis

ooops........meant semen stains.....was in a hurry.......lol.
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:15 AM
queenbee

Default Re: Re: Prime Time Last Night

This is nothing new. This happens all the time and makes great headlines. I have seen similar broadcasts on hotels in the past. Nevertheless, we all have to be prudent when we cruise these days. Always carry a can of Lysol or similar product to spray your room and especially areas such as the outside of the refrig, bed, bathroom etc. Even though we would love to trust our hosts, we can't leave protecting our health to them.

Also carry a bottle of Germ X, a hand sanitizer with you at all times, when possible, Guess we can't take it along at Captain's formal night but take sanitizer wipes then.

The problem with stains etc. as described in the broadcast is not limited to one cruise line as you can see, so protect yourself as best as possible.

Nevertheless, don't worry, have a great cruise but be careful as much as possible.
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
CO

Yeah , this is nothing new. I've saw these stories where they have went into all these hotels and found the same things wrong. I dont like it but I dont think you can get away from it unless you carry everything from home when you go on a trip. We do just like the previous person to respond, that is to take lysol and other germ killing items with us. Hopefully its doing good. Lets hear it for the Sovereign of the Seas July 4th!
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Sis

Well, I for one have to bed spread immediately removed when I check in anywhere..And as far as the sofa......I ask for a sheet and cover it with it....I use bath towels and cover the outside chairs on balconies......
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:31 PM
First Mate

I always carry Lysol and spray in hotel rooms and cruise cabins, especially doorknobs, phones, remote control, etc. Wash your hands and enjoy the clean salt air...hopefully all is well!
Old February 26th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Yeoman

I think Dateline recently did a story on subways, gyms, hotels, etc that showed similar if not worse results, so its not just limited to ships. You can pick up anything anywhere. Look at that commercial on tv where the guy comes out of the bathroom and starts to shake someones hand, and another guy sneezes into his hands, pushes a grocery cart a few feet and a mom and daughter end up using that cart. How about after going to the bathroom and you take the time to wash your hands, yet you grab the door handle on the way out. Guess whats on that doorhandle! I carry a bottle of Purell with me all the time for that reason!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Sis

I use my elbows for the door knobs in public bathrooms.......and when in hotel room or cabin......I clean the door knobs once I check in.
Old February 27th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I carried a can of Lyesol with me for years when staying in hotels or cruising and have also started carrying bleach wipes and hand sanitizers. This is definitely not just limited to cruise ships and hotels. As a previous poster pointed out, its at public restrooms, gyms, grocery stores, etc.. If we all worried about it so much we'd never leave our homes. Just do you best to protect yourself and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Hand sanitizers are nice, but I worry abou the 1% of the germs that it doesn't protect us against! Must be one strong muthah.....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 27th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

hehe makes me laugh... I never touch a public bathroom door handle... always use towels or tissues and if none I gr4ab the door uptop cuase nobody usually does...
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Do you also wear rubber gloves when you handle money?
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Almost all the things mentioned can be found in peoples homes, hotels, motels,
( car seats is always a good one ) etc. As someone mentioned, money is one of the dirtiest things you can touch. Menus at a restaurant are never washed, but handled by how many hands in a day or two ?? But apparently anything negative to do with a cruise ship just has an attraction for some.
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Sis

I don't see what is so funny..........I never do use the door handle....going in are going out.........the foot works fine too.
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:24 PM
ghg

I'm always grossed out by thought of hotel bedspreads, blankets and carpet. Sure they change the sheets but how often do they wash and change the bedspreads or blankets? I always bring an extra blanket to use instead of the hotel bedspread. Not that I will be packing one to bring on my cruise. It's true though no matter where you go you don't know what disgusting thing might be lurking. Guess I have to put lysol on my list of things to pack.