Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Matt Karp

Default Cruising with baby.

Our baby will be 13 months old when we cruise next year. We have tentative plans for a family reunion cruise on Navigator of the Seas Feb 25 '06. We have cruised before as a couple, and now are new parents. What can we expect when we cruise with our little guy? Has anyone tried the babysitting service onboard? Assuming our baby has had his nap, do you expect we will be able to dine in the main diningroom without causing too much of a distraction to others? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Cruising with baby.

My now 3 yr old son has been on 3 New Years cruises (Enchantment @ 11 mos, Navigator @ 23 mos, Mariner @ 35 mos). We havent used the babysitters since my dad and brother come along and we use them for a night at Portofios, etc. We are early birds though (actually we all made it to New Years this last cruise) and Im the type who never wants to be apart from my son for fear of missing out on one of his discoveries, so I dont have a problem being with him 24/7 (I do it every day now)! For our first cruise, he was already walking (@ 9 mos) so we really only used the stroller (an umbrella since the halls and elevators can get crowded) in ports and at night. We did go to the shows, and our son usually fell asleep during them. We ate in the dining room every night (I will say it was easier when he was younger) and to break it up we took turns taking him for a walk outside for a few minutes. You know your child and I say give it a try. If he acts up, you can always leave. Theres Windjammer and room service available for dinners. We also brought along some new toys to keep him happy at meals. The waiters were excellent and would bring his food with our first course and sometimes entertained him with origami, or games. We didnt do any excursions, but instead shopped and went to a beach in the ports since our son loves the beach. We bring along some beach toys (Target has some cheap little plastic trucks, also Tonka makes some cheap durable trucks that are small) and his lifejacket (cant bring the ones from the ship), rent loungers and an umbrella to keep the sun off us, and he wears a lycra sunsuit (rash guard now) and a hat, with tons of sunscreen too! Naps-he will sleep in his stroller in ports, or we always get balcony rooms which are great since our son can nap in bed while we sit on the balcony taking in the sites, talking, or reading. Weve always brought a bed for him (portable crib (these are available on board but I was unsure of the quality-they were Gracos I believe and in good shape), we have a toddler aero bed for him, and one of those ready beds-an inflatable sleeping bag which works great since we stand it up during the day and have more space). Be sure to bring along infant type medicines (tylenol, motrin etc), first aid suppies (small bandaids, etc) lots of diapers, wipes, sunscreen, hat, swim diapers (for the beach-not allowed in the pools though and it is enforced), sippy cups, dishsoap, small utensils, favorite snacks, favorite animals/blankie, sandal/watershoes for the hot sand, etc. We have a portable dvd player which is great for the airplane or long car rides. During some down time, we let him watch his movies in the cabin too. Sea days-our son loves to explore the ship and often knows his way around before we do! He loved riding in the glass elevators (until he developped fear of them this last trip), and on Navigator they had an old restored car in the promenade which he loved to "drive" every time we were near it. As I said we did go to the shows and usually sat upstairs so we could make an easy getaway if we had to. Our son loved the glitzy musicals and the ice shows. We did take him ice skating on Navigator too. We tried to keep him away from the game room, but accidently found it on Navigator, and my idiot brother took him in there on Mariner right away during our last trip, so we spent a lot of time in there "playing" games. Bring a camera and take lots of pics as our son loves looking at them. Weve also got some great professional shots of our son and the family by the staff so take advantage of the portrait nights-you dont have to buy them! I think that about covers our experience. Feel free to email me with any questions and have a great time!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Matt Karp

Default Re: Re: Cruising with baby.

Allison,

Thanks, your response reassures us a lot!