Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Gayle

Default Sidetrips in New England, Maine, Nova Scotia

We hope to book a cruise for Sept. 11 from Boston to Nova Scotia aboard the Enchantment of the Seas. Our port stops are Martha's Vineyard, Bar Harbor, Portland, Halifax, Nova Scotia and St. John, New Brunswick. Can someone tell me what are the "must see" places at these stops? Would Sept. 11-18 be a good time to see the fall foliage?
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:01 PM
hcat

Default Re: Sidetrips in New England, Maine, Nova Scotia

Halifax--take a tour to see everything you can--it is very spread out. Then tour the Citadel on your own & also the little charming town area & then the water front shops....it's such a great pace..
Old March 18th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Passenger

In Bar Harbor we took the carriage ride in Acadia national park. Also with that tour was a bus tour and a drive up Cadillac Mountain. The view from up there is spectacular. We did the Evangaline trail bus tour in Halifax. It was a long bus ride. Portland we just walked around town. Came back to the ship and watched the lobster fishermen.Have a wonderful time.
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Amadna

I went to Bar Harbor over the summer ( not with a cruise). You sh ould really check out Arcadia Park and they have many nice little reasturants and wineries (sp).. Its a really nice area. If you want to do some shopping there is an area where they have lots of shops with touristy types of things and normal everyday things. Have fun!

If you are leaving from Boston and have time to do some things you should:
* Go on the DuckTours , just ask about them when you are there. Everyone will know where to send you
*Nathanile Hall ( shopping)
* historical walks ect.
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Beginner

We went those exact dates last year and didn't see much "color". It was still too early. But by far our most favorite itinerary. We're doing it again next year.

As mentioned, Cadillac Mountain and Acadia NP are a must. We were fortunate to have gorgeous weather every day of our cruise and the view from up there was spectacular. And we are from California and used to beautiful scenery along the coast, but we were very impressed with this trip.

If you have time to spend in Boston it is a fabulous city. Oh dear, now I can't wait to get back there!
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Beginner

We went those exact dates last year and didn't see much "color". It was still too early. But by far our most favorite itinerary. We're doing it again next year.

As mentioned, Cadillac Mountain and Acadia NP are a must. We were fortunate to have gorgeous weather every day of our cruise and the view from up there was spectacular. And we are from California and used to beautiful scenery along the coast, but we were very impressed with this trip.

If you have time to spend in Boston it is a fabulous city. Oh dear, now I can't wait to get back there!
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Amadna

Cadillac MT. Thats that name of the mountian tha ti was trying to think of. My friend and I made a day out of doing the trails there. It was wicked fun.
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

My favorite ship and my dream cruise. I really need to book this one. You will love the Enchantment. Not to big and not to small. Great service and the food was also OK. Not great but OK. I guess you don't have to worry about hurricanes up there. DO YOU? Have a great time.
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:50 AM
Gayle

Default Re: Re: Sidetrips in New England, Maine, Nova Scotia

Thanks for all your good responses. I am so getting ready to take that cruise. You all have given me wonderful tips.
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:31 AM
First Mate

Gayle:

Martha's Vineyard in September?

What a treat you're going to have! Sept. 11th will be much too early for foliage at Martha's Vineyard. But most of the summer people will have left by then, less crowded, and you will love September in the Vineyard. Crisp, clear, end of summer.

DH and I have cruised there from Rhode Island every summer for 10 years........in a 30 foot cabin cruiser.... and I envy you going on a "big" boat with someone (besides me)to make the bed, cook the meals(picking the restaurant) & man the radar. Lovely.

What harbor do you go to? Edgartown, Vineyard Haven & Oak Bluffs are each unique harbors & towns . Given your itinerary, it seems logical you'd be anchored outside Oak Bluffs and tendering in? How much time do you have there?

Marty