Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:18 AM
abe

Default suit or no suit?

Everyone, I would like your opinions on whether I should pack a suit/tie/dress shoes etc. for the "dress up" dinners. In order to bring the suit & accessories I would have to carry an extra piece of luggage (garment bag). It just does not seem reasonable to have to lug an extra piece of baggage for a suit that I'll probably wear for only a few hours in total as it seems most people change back to casual clothes right after dinner.

Will I have a problem gaining access to the dining room on the formal nights if I do not wear the "suit"? Will I feel awkward and will the tablemates frown on this? I definitely want to attend the dinners since they offer the lobster & prime rib on these nights.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Passenger

Default Re: suit or no suit?

My husband wears a sport coat, dress shirt and tie for dress up night. I wear a dressy pantsuit. We can enter the dining room and we feel comfortable. We have had 5 RC cruises and are always at large tables. Each time the people are our tables were dressed like us. We have early dining.
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Bob N

THERE WILL BE PEOPLE WHO DO NOT FOLLOW THE DRESS CODE AND ARE LET IN. HOWEVER, YOU WILL STAND OUT AND IF THAT DOESN'T BOTHER YOU THEN GO FOR IT. a POINT OF INTEREST, EACH NIGHT THEY TAKE PHOTOS IN DIFFEREENT SETTING ON THE SHIP AT NO COST, YOU MAY WANT TO HAVE YOUR PICTURES TAKEN WITH YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER ALL DRESSED UP.

BESIDES YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO FEEL GOOD & ENJOY YOURSELF TO THE MAX........TAKE A SUIT YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Yeoman

At least wear a shirt & Tie. Most men DO wear suits. Hardly anyone ever looks at your shoes .

Old March 17th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Durwin

Although you have a choice. I think it is nice to dress on occasionally. One night will not hurt. Unfortunately, some traditions are just thrown to the side and not we are inundated with "come as you are" lifestyles. Now, dont get me wrong...I am all for being comfortable and relaxed but, when you spend as much money as you do to cruise, why not enjoy every facet of the adventure. The dining rooms are so nice and, as you would dress to eat a fine restaurant in Los Angeles or New York...why not here?
I particulary like to see my wife dress formal...she is beautiful and this just enhances the cruise for me. Again, this is my opinion and my choice is to "dress your best" when the occasion calls for it.
Old March 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
CO

You will be fine. I did the same thing when my wife and I traveled on the Empress of the Seas. I carried an extra nice sport coat, dress shirt, tie and dress pants and was fine. If I recall right ,most of the other people did the same thing. Now that we have children now we are going to combine a Disney trip this summer with a 4 day Sovereign cruise. We just simply wont have the room to pack for both trips and drive 600 miles so I will be doing the sport coat , tie and dress shirt thing again. Some more family members will be meeting us for the cruise and the guys thats going will be wearing sport coats too from what they have told me. I agree that shorts of any kind and jeans should not be worn in the dining room.
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:06 PM
First Mate

Hi Abe,

Not only will you feel completely out of place but you will regret your decision not to bring a suit and because you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean, you won't be able to do anything about it.

Let me start out by telling you that I absolutely hate...I repeat...hate getting dressed up. I even picked a job where I could make good money and wear jeans to work. My husband wears a suit to work every day so that wasn't a problem. Our teenage son however, wanted to know why he couldn't wear shorts and a t-shirt to a wedding we recently attended. So now that you know we are committed to casual wear, you'll understand that if we get dressed up, it really needs to be done! I wore a dressy pants suit. I made sure it was comfortable so I wouldn't have to change after dinner. My son wore a suit and tie. He complained and complained until he went to the dining room. He took a look around and that was the end of it. The next formal night, he came into the cabin and got dressed without a word. Not even one complaint! Even at the age of 13, he knew. Dinner will be so much fun that you won't mind. Bring the extra bag, it will be well worth it!
Oh yes, the picture they took of us outside the dining room looks so nice on my desk at work. Everyone always comments on it.
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:12 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: suit or no suit?

Suit
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I say, pack the suit and tie and enjoy the cruise. WE too take that "extra" piece of luggage and glad I do....Have Fun!!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Matt Karp

If you don't like the idea of bringing an extra bag, you can rent a tux. It will be waiting for you in your cabin when you arrive. I enjoy dressing up, and renting a tux has helped reduce our luggage.
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Larry W

Just finished our Navigator of the Seas cruise, 5-12 March. It was our first cruise. Almost everyone wore a tux or dark suit on formal nights. There were a very few who wore a coat and tie with light colored pants. To me they stuck out like a sore thumb. I guess it depends on whether you are the kind of person who worries about things like that. It would bother me, but I guess that explains my high blood pressure.
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:19 AM
First Mate

Hey Abe,
We hate over packing so on our last cruise hubby rented a Tux and he looked fabulous.
Happy sailing,
sea angel
Old March 19th, 2005, 01:58 PM
newmexicoNita

We used to do the rent a tux thing all the time. It did save on the extra luggage etc, but now DH has to wear a tux for some occassions here at home so he takes it with him on cruises as well. A rally nice sport jacket, tie and dress shirt with dress slacks will be acceptable on formal nights, anything less dressy is not showing respect for the other passengers or the cruise line rules. NMnita
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:02 PM
Beginner

On formal night you would probably feel out of place without a sport coat. There are men in tuxedos and women in floor length gowns. One formal night I told my husband that I just didn't want to get dressed up so we went to the Windjammer and had a lovely meal and walked the decks all alone. Great night!

Old March 21st, 2005, 12:58 PM
abe

Default Re: Re: suit or no suit?

Okay, have decided to take the suit. Also, had a question on the tux rental if one should decide to do that. Do they provide all the necessary items (tie, shoes, shirt, etc) if you rent and do you get to use it for both formal nights? How expensive is it to rent? Also, do you have to reserve the tux before hand?

THanks everyone
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM
luvcruzn

Yes, the rental is expensive. Hey your on the cruise you must be rich anyway. My advise is go buy a tux. I did three years ago. I now have three. You can find a nice tux on Ebay. They have 130 thread count. Get your shirt from a Tuxedo rental place or a Mens warehouse or S and K mens wear. They sell nice Tuxedos for about 125. They look so much better than rental. Besides I am telling you this because the rental is about 125-150 depending on accessories if you rent on ship. Besides not looking like a JA on formal night is PRICELESS for everyhing else there's the windjammer cafe on Deck 10