Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sea sickness

My family went on the Monarch over the summer and were lucky enough that none of us got sea sick. We are going on the Mariner this summer and thought that since it was a bigger ship we would not get sick. A friend told my boyfriend that if the seas are a little rough that with the bigger ships we can get very sick. Anyone have this happen? Any recommendations besides Dramamine to help us?

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:41 AM
kdonner

Default Re: Sea sickness

No.. in my experience the bigger ships are much calmer... you hardly feel anything... so I wouldnt worry... but the one thing we did find that helps tremendously is some wrist bands... they are special motion sickness wrist bands with a button on them, you wear the button on the inside of your wrist and it hits a pressure point... they are great!!
you can find them at most drug stores... I think I paid about $10 for a set... they even work for kids that get car sick.. and I hear for morning sickness also.. not that I would know that one.. hahah
Ken
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Passenger

I used Bonine on my second cruise (after getting sea sick on my first one). It worked really well. I was fine. I wore the wristbands (SeaBands) on my first cruise, but they didn't help me! I already bought some Bonine for my cruise next month! A package of 8 for $2.98 at Walmart.
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:00 AM
First Mate

Definitely Bonine...doesn't make you drowsy like the other stuff does.
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Someone else also suggested Ginger Pills that you can pick up at any Vitamin place or one of those Natural food stores. Supposed to settle your stomach.

Also, if you get sick, someone also said find a green apple & eat it. The Pecin in it calms your stomach.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
mamax4

Do you take the Bonine on a regular basis through out the cruise? Did u start taking it the day before boarding? I heard that once you get sea sick Bonine won't help? I could really use this advice so any response would be greatly appreciated.

Oh P.S. the wrist bands...don't work for morning sickness, I wore them for 4 months and they did NOTHING (of course, I was afraid to take them off for fear the morning sickness would get worse. It didn't it just stayed at that unbearable level!)
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Beginner

I will be a first time cruiser in october. But per a friend who went on RCL, you can get sea sickness medicine on the ship for free. Apparently at a desk, either the excursion desk or pursar desk.
It has been a few years since he cruised can anyone verify if this is this still the case?
Thanks
Buster
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM
libbynan

I understand that the cruise lines give meclyzine (sp?)...... you can buy this otc if you want to take it before you get seasick.
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Clint Leung

Cruise more often! You will get your sea legs. IN addition to taking meds, you might also try those seabands that fit on your wrists.

Clint

***edited***
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Admiral

The cruise lines do give you "medi-meclizine". The packet had 2 in it but they suggested you only take one. It lasts for 12 hours and worked great. Only bad part is they also suggest you don't drink alcohol with it.

Old April 14th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Yeoman

I dont get sea sick, but I get land sick after a cruise. Sea Bands dont work for everyone, and they didnt work for me when preggo either. Theres also the electronic watch type band that emits pulses. Now that helped a little with my first pregnancy, but not really much with this last one. Ginger Ale helps a bit too if you cant find ginger pills. I do believe the ship hands out free stuff if it gets pretty rough.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old April 16th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS

The doctor gave me the patches to wear behind my ears - worked great and I also wore the SeaBands. I used to get deathly ill if the boat rocked at all but not anymore.
Old April 16th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Admiral

My hubby & I take a chewable Bonine every morning on our cruise...no drowsiness, and no sea sickness! And yes, nothing will work once you get seasick...so take some preventative medication and enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas