Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:11 PM
tovanatasha

Default Germs found???

Hi, sorry to bum anyone out....but just saw on another board about some "micro bugs" that were found on some of the ships...anyone know what this is about? I couldnt' find the beginning of the thread...so don't know who wrote this...would appreciate any input.
Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Germs found???

Bed bugs were found on the Jewel of the Seas......
Old April 15th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am traveling on the Jewel in November...should I change my plans? I sure dont want to spend the week woth any bed bugs!
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:23 PM
MTS

Default Re: Re: Germs found???

Yes...cancel, cancel, by all means, CANCEL!!
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM
tovanatasha

Default Re: Re: Re: Germs found???

What ARE bedbugs????

Can they be killed with lysol?
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:55 PM
DonD

Bed Bugs
Hemiptera: Cimicidae
SIZE: 1/4 to 3/8 inch (4-5 mm)

COLOR: Reddish brown or brown

DESCRIPTION: Bed bugs are sometimes called "red coats," "chinches," or "mahogany flats." The adult bed bug is a wingless insect that is flattened from top to bottom.

HABITAT: At the beginning of an infestation, bed bugs are likely to be found only in the tufts, seams, and folds of mattresses and bed covers. In areas of heavy infestation, bed bugs can be found in crevices in the bedsteads. Because bed bugs can live in bird nests, houses and buildings with several bird nests in the eaves and on the roof often will have bed bugs coming into the living areas.

LIFE CYCLE: The life cycle stages of a bed bug are egg, nymph, and adult. The females lay about 200 eggs, usually at the rate of three or four a day, in cracks and crevices in the floor or bed. Newly hatched bugs begin feeding immediately. They shed their skin five times before becoming adults.

TYPE OF DAMAGE: They feed principally on human blood by piercing the skin with a long beak and sucking blood into their stomachs. They feed mostly at night, but will feed during the day if hungry and the light is dim.

CONTROL: In private homes, find all the areas that bed bugs hide in during the day time. These must be treated with chemicals. In hotels, apartments, and other multiple-type dwelling places, bed bugs may spread from one unit to another. All units should be inspected. Remove bird nests.

INTERESTING FACTS: Usually discovered in unsuspected areas such as in floor cracks, under carpets, behind loose wallpaper or wall pictures, and in old,unused stoves.
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Yeoman

You should see the bugs/germs in Hotel rooms!!!! I watched a TV documentary on this and was SO grossed out. The bed spreads and floors was the worse place 'cause these are not cleaned (washed) regulary.
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Yeoman

The best time to go is AFTER they discover an incident like this. Don't you think they will be going overboard (pardon my pun) to eradicate the problem? We flew discounted first class on "TWA" a few months after flight 800 went down. Due to public hysteria, they were almost giving the seats away, and we felt quite secure that the flights were subjected to more scrutiny than ever before!