Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Capt Matt

Default Re: RCI Grandeur Slams Dock

People, people, people......when are you going to learn??? Cruise lines are not going to refund your money, pay for your cruise, or play a sad song on the violin for you. Face it things happen. Believe me the last thing a cruise line wants is an incident like this. Nobody wins. The truth is it was probably the fault of the local pilot and by the time the captain realized that action on his part was necessary it was too late to avoid the collision so don't dump all the blame on RCI. Be grateful you received some type of compensation even though credits are better for the corporation and worse for the customer especially if he or she doesn't plan to sail with a particular line again. Last year I paid approximately $8,000.00 for one of the "best" suites onboard Celebrity Cruises' Summit. Long story short.....the cabin had a constant banging noise in the ceiling (water pipes) and you could not sleep at night. This was discovered on night one and guess what?.......Yep, for the remainder of the cruise I had a lovely suite by day and a lovely INSIDE cabin to sleep in at night! And yes a received a $1,300.00 credit for a future cruise but they wouldn't take $1,300.00 off the one I was on. Yes it was a dissapointment but what are you going to do? Sue them? Good luck! You have to make the best out of a bad situation. Next year I'll book a cruise and use the credit. If I don't use it then they have won and I have lost. So my friends.....suck it up, crack a beer (like the pilot probably did prior to docking), and be thankful for what you got!
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:37 AM
terrimcc

In November 2002 my husband and I were among the 1400 passangers stranded on CoCo Cay over night. We did book the entire trip through RCCI; (something new for us), and had bought their insurance. Everyone on board was given a coupon for a free 4 night cruise and after Royal Caribbean flew in their VIPs to CoCo Cay, we were told that a full refund would be given to all passangers. Once we arrived home and looked at our credit card statement, we saw multiple refunds. In total RCCI had refunded the cost of the 4 night cruise, that airfare and the 2 night precruise stay in Key Largo. It has been because of their response we have cruised with them so many times since. We also never cruise without the insurance.
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:30 PM
catalin

I was also on the Grandeur when it hit the dock last Wednesday. We really couldn't tell that we hit the dock, and were surprised when we were allowed off the ship and saw the hole in the side.

I'm going to have to disagree with the poster who said her cruise was ruined and $250 was not fair compensation for us. Our cruise did not miss out on any port. People could leave on Saturday morning (which is the day they were going to have to leave anyway.) How is the fact that you had a more expensive room more inconvenient for you than those who had a less expensive one? The only thing you missed out on was the two days we were supposed to be at sea before docking in New Orleans.

You still had full use of your expensive rooms. I think they did everything they could do considering the circumstances and us being in the Middle of Nowhere, Mexico. The credit was for the inconvenience of having your travel arrangments rearranged...either by leaving the ship Saturday and having to fly out of Mexico, or staying an extra two days and having to miss out on Work, etc.
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: RCI Grandeur Slams Dock

Do you honestly believe that a person staying in a $500 stateroom deserves half of the price they paid refunded where the group that stayed in a $6000 suite receives less than 5%? We had 6 passengers in that room.

We made the decision to leave early on Thursday, with one hour to pack 11 bags with a stateroom attendant standing at our door, anxious, with arms crossed and tapping his foot waiting for our bags. We traveled back via chartered flight on Friday. This decision was made as we had 4 people that could not miss another day of work and 2 college aged kids with tests to take that if missed, would have jeopardized their grades. I would have loved to stay the extra days free of charge with a $250 on board credit but it wasn't an option for our family.
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:52 AM
libbynan

It always amazes me when any company just ignores the consequences of bad PR! This is a large family whose business is lost forever...... the college students will marry and have in-laws and children and none of them will sail with RCI. And any of the hundreds, if not thousands, of people they tell this story to will think long and hard before cruising w/ RCI...... and may decide against it. It would have been far cheaper and more profitable to give them a pro-rated refund for the nights they missed and sent them off happily singing the praises of RCI to anyone who would listen! Every time a company goes out of its way to satisfy me, I spend the next twenty years or more telling everyone what a great company this is and to do business w/ them. Good will is not all that hard or expensive to get and it pays off big time. Just treat others the way you want to be treated. I don't know why this is so difficult for businesses to learn.
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Admiral

SHHHHH! Listen carefully. You can hear it from under the sills of the bulkheads, subtly but plaintively down Grandeur's corridors. The ancient, legal lamentation:

"O me miseram!
Aliquis mihi
donare pecuniam!"
[How I suffer! Somebody give me money!]

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!