Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:27 PM
arcyeager

Default Dinner seating ..first or second? which is better?

My husband and I requested Main seating for dinner but was wait-listed, and put on late seating. I'm feeling a little disappointed by that, as I dont like to eat late, and 8:30pm is WAY too late to be eating such a large meal. However I love all the fancy dinning atmosphere, so I'll tolerate if I must. But is it actually a blessing in disguise?
I've read mixed reviews. Any opinions?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:10 PM
glojo

Default Re: Dinner seating ..first or second? which is better?

Well for me I prefer late seating, mostly because it gives us more time to get back from our day trip, recover, have a snack, sneek in a nap, shower, makeup etc. Have a cocktail. Also less kids running around. I seem to remember at least once we went the show first and then dinner.
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:17 AM
Captain

We also prefer late seating for all the reasons mentioned by glojo, plus the fact that by eating late, we're not tempted to snack before bed or go to the buffet. Plus, if we have done any shore excursions, we don't have to rush back to get ready for early dinner.

As you said, it's personal preference.

Old April 21st, 2005, 07:37 AM
Passenger

We prefer late seating. You're not in such a rush to get back to shower and get ready. We like to sit on the deck and have a drink around the time the main (early) seating starts or you can just take a nap or relax. I think you will be happy with the late seating. We normally don't eat that late when we are at home.. but hey, you're on vacation! I think you should keep the late seating. Well, I would anyway! : )
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:14 AM
Passenger

Same here.... We picked late (on our honeymoon) to avoid kids. Not that we don't love kids... but we did not want our romantic dinner overshadowed but the army of little ones that monopolized the pool during the daytime.

It also gave us plenty of time to relax after a long day. Especially considering you need to dress up almost every other night.
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:51 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Dinner seating ..first or second? which is better?

We've done both, and there are pros and cons to each, but on balance, dispite sometimes feeling a bit rushed to get to main seating, I think we prefer it over eating late and having that overstuffed feeling at bedtime.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Late seating. Like others have stated, you can take your time getting ready and not feeling rushed after shore time.

Old April 21st, 2005, 12:17 PM
First Mate

We definitely prefer late seating for all the other reasons posted here...you're not rushed, no kids in the dining room, etc. Plus we always stayed up late after dinner anyway with all the activities going on.
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:29 PM
Passenger

We were wait listed for early dining also. All the reasons listed so far a good ones for late dining, but we still prefer early dining. When we got on the ship, we went right to the Maitre D. The first night he could not help us. We went again the next day and he was able to change us to early dining.
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Definately late seating! You have to be back on the ship between 4-5pm (depending on leaving port) and then have to rush, rush, rush to get everyone showered & dressed for 6:30pm dinner? Not worth it. You can always cut it earlier, but that's time you are losing on visiting the island as well.

We did 8:30pm on our first cruise last week on Serenade. It was great! We showered, changed and got to look at the island pics & such & do alot of other things before dinner. Believe me - time goes fast!!
Old April 21st, 2005, 02:05 PM
Yeoman

We did late seating once and never again for us! We cant stand to eat so late, even if we grabbed something when we got back on board. We dont have any problem making it back on board and getting ready for dinner either, but if we didnt feel like it, we just ran up to Windjammer. I will say that the late seating has less kids, and isnt as rushed as early. We dont mind rushed as we have a little one, with one on the way so the sooner we get out, the better! The other thing, on the last few cruises, the late seating shows were during the early seating dinners (except on a few nights were it was after the late seating dinner which wouldve been too late for us anyways) and the early seating shows were right after dinner. I prefer to see a show after dinner, and I imagine getting ready for the show for the late seaters might present a rush problem as well.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old April 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Flagators

I prefer early seating just because I don't think dinner is really a big part of the cruise, so I like getting in there as soon as I can and getting out as soon as I can. Not that I don't enjoy the dining room, I'd just rather be out on the deck or something.

Old April 21st, 2005, 06:33 PM
virginiagirl

Just got back from the Enchantment. Although there were quite a few kids on board (including our 5 and 7 year old), there were no problems at the early seating. Kids all seemed well-behaved, and if a little one was having a tough time, the parents take them right out. So, I wouldn't base my selection for seating on kids, especially if you go during school days (i.e. not during spring break or summer).
Old April 21st, 2005, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Here's a link to an article I wrote awhile back about dining time choices....
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/before/dining.cfm

Old April 21st, 2005, 09:00 PM
Kac

On our first cruise we had early seating because m;y husband was so worried about being too full to sleep and every night we were sitting in that dining room wishing we were out on deck watching the sun set. We loved the formal dining room so didn't want to miss that for the sunset. Such a dilema ; ) Have done late seating on all cruises since and stay up late any ways so not a problem going to bed on full stomach. We spent less money on drinks in the evening because we were full - drank slower! We still went to midnight buffets but just nibbled on something if it was really really irresistable. We also liked not having to rush back to ship and get ready for dinner. We we booked our cruise for later this year I was holding my breath hoping to be able to get late seating!
Happy crusin!
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:17 AM
hcat

Vote here for first--have done both & with late we never got to do anything at night--ate so late we were stuffed & lazy--while there is a rush to dinner for first you can always vary that with alt dining on a few nights & do that later!
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
First Mate

I vote for late seating for all the reasons that were already mentioned. The last thing I want to do is go back to the cabin at 4 or 4:30 and dress for dinner.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
John44

Default Re: Re: Dinner seating ..first or second? which is better?

Does it really take you 2 to 2and a half hours to dress for dinner ?