Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:09 AM
Passenger

Default Which is more fun Bigger or smaller ships?

Both the ships I've been on are the Voyager class.... but this Octorber I'm going on the Enchantment after the remodel. I wanted to hear some opinions of which is more fun (from those that have sailed on both sizes) Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Which is more fun Bigger or smaller ships?

I love Voyager class, there is just so much to do, and so big that every trip out of the cabin seems like an adverture.
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:11 PM
pcboston

This is a very subjective question, everyone likes different experiences on their cruises. My personal favorites were the Voyager class, also, have been on Explorer and Adventure of the Seas. Other large ships I have done are the Grand Princess and Carnival Destiny, and also Disney Wonder, which was mid-size, and these were all great cruises, too. The two small ships I've been on were the Norwegian Majesty and Norwegian Dream, really small in comparison to all the others. For me, the larger ships are much better, more to do, and much more stable than the smaller ones. I have heard that RCCL's midsize ships are beautiful, so you will enjoy it, I'm sure.
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:35 PM
Passenger

I've never been on anything smaller than the Voyager... So I'm a little worried. I hope the water is not too rough.
Old April 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM
Yeoman

I was on Enchantment a few years ago and enjoyed it. However, after being on Navigator and Mariner, I will say they had a lot more to offer activity & dining wise. So if you like having the ice rink, rock wall, inline skating, mini golf and basketball court, extra restaurants, then youll miss it on Enchantment (though I think she will have more stuff added than when I was on her). Both class ships do have a lot to offer though and I found I relaxed more on Enchantment. I also enjoyed Windjammer on Enchantment since you could walk right out the doors and sit outside in the glassed area. Felt more like being on a ship than in a restaurant with a view!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:06 PM
Dixie Lee

Having sailed on RCCL and Carnival - both on ships with 2500+ passengers and then having sailed on Carnival and soon to sail on HAL and again on Carnival with the ships that have less than 1500 passengers - I would say that it really depends on what you are trying to get out of your cruise. We are not sailing for the large crowds, the rock-climbing walls, the ice rinks, the multitude of shipboard activities - been there, enjoyed it, but now we want a smaller number of passengers, more attentive service, being able to enjoy the activities but really relax at the same time. Having last sailed on Carnival's Holiday, I would have to say that that was an almost perfect cruise for us. We are both 48, not sailing with kids, and we have reached a point in our lives where we want to be spoiled more on our vacation, and the crew on the Holiday did that. They were more attentive, friendlier, ship was cleaner, food better - all this is our opinion and in comparison with Carnival's ship, the Fascination from a couple of years ago. But, the larger ships suit people, for sure, but it depends on what you expect out of your vacation. Some people are looking for the bigger crowds, more of the shipboard activities - you know, the more to do the better. You have to keep that in mind when deciding large vs. small cruise ships. Yes, we did feel the rough water a little more on the Holiday, but then it is an older ship, too. It was still a very, very enjoyable and relaxing cruise. I hope to find the same on the Celebration next month. I would always suggest that you at least try a different class of ship, at least once. I can't imagine being dissappointed on any ship, but the different classes do offer different experiences.
Have a great cruise,
Dixie Lee
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

My first cruise was on the Sovereign. I had a great time and met a lot of great people. My next 2 cruises were on the Navigator and the Adventure. They were longer cruises and the ships are bigger. I've had a great time on all of my cruises, but I liked the Adventure the best.
Next February I will be sailing on the Serenade. I hope that it doesn't seem too small after being on 2 Voyager Class ships.