Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Kathy and Gary

Default anything stolen on Voyager??

A lady I work with just got back from the Voyager over spring break and her kids had their Game boy, CD's, DVD's and Play Station games stolen out of their duffel bag that they checked when getting to the ship. Anyone else had problems on any of the ships like this?? I will be cruising on May 8th on the Mariner and we will be sure to not put any valuables in any bags being checked. It is too bad this happened to a family on their first cruise!!! Any thoughts????
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
JLO1578

Default Re: anything stolen on Voyager??

I think when traveling, the same rules apply all around, getting on a plane, a ship, train ect. you shold always carry things of value with you at all times. I dont think this incident is indicitive of cruising just a bad apple working on the pier or the ship. Electronics, Jewlery, prescription meds things of this nature should always be on your person. Its sad but you just cant trust anyone nowadays.

Cruise will still always be my favorite type of vacation!!!
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:03 PM
gerif

Haven't heard of anything like this happening - HOWEVER, it is never a good practice to pack anything of value in checked luggage. Whatever I consider valuable stays right with me in my carry-on bag (i.e., jewelry, camera, etc.). I'll never forget many years ago my boss's wife had several thousand dollars worth of jewelry taken from a checked suitcase on a trip to Mexico - what was that woman thinking????? Theft is never a good thing, but we need to practice a little care ourselves.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have never had that problem, but anything of value like that I would carry in carry-on and not checked luggage. If they had those items in duffel bags, sounds like there is really no good way to secure them, and lots of people will be handling your luggage before it gets delivered to your cabin, it wasn't necessarily the cruiseline at fault here.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:28 AM
queenbee

We were on the Explorer last December and heard of 3 passangers with similar experiences.

One had diamond jewelry taken from her luggage, one had her total luggage (3 pieces) with many valuables "lost". and the last had their luggage cut open and lost electronics.

It seems that they were exptremely careless by not carrying expensive things in their carry on but what is so terrible is that those that stole the items were either working for some airlines during the evening and checking luggage on ships during the daytime. Must have had some good training.

The ships should have better survalence of the luggage handlers. Most likely, when the luggage goes thru the X Ray machines, these valuables are seen and then taken.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
diana bratton

I have cruised on Voyager three times in the last tow years and have been on other cusie ships both RC and Carnival. I have never had any problems at all and I highly reccommend Voyager--We are booked for a family reuininon over Thanksgiving. I cannot even imagine this happening!
Old April 25th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: anything stolen on Voyager??

I have had things taken by airline employees - but never when checking my bags with a cruise line. It is imprtant to remember that in many ports the baggage handlers are employed by the dock (owned by the city), not the cruise lines.

I remember a few years back when Carnival-based dockworkers in Miami started blatantly demanding tips for "extra Care" of people's bags. The city put a fast stop to it when they found out.

I also NEVER put anything valuable in my checked luggage - too much time out of my sight.

Old April 25th, 2005, 06:38 AM
JPHC

carry on valuables and electronics!(meds also)
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:31 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: anything stolen on Voyager??

I agree with others who say the best apparoach is to keep all valuables with you . Anytime your possessions leave your personal custody they are at risk to be stolen. In fact there was a report recently about the arrests of T.S.A. baggage screeners for stealing items from the luggage that they were checking for security purposes.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Yeah, I would not trust anything valuable to a $2 lock. We always have one carryon with the Camera and Jewelry in it.
Old April 25th, 2005, 12:22 PM
ata1976

We had some Inch of Gold jewelry stolen out of our bags during debarkation on Carnival Fantasy, but it was on own fault for being in checked luggage.
Think of all the time that your luggage is out of your sight when you put it in the hall the last night and when you get it the next day at the pier.
Definitely carry all valuables with you.
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Admiral

ata, I disagree that is was YOUR fault. It was the fault of the thief, period. As almost everyone has said, place all your valuables in your carry-on and do not let it go through TSA or any baggage handlers. The crew onboard a ship are not going to steal anything, they want their job too badly. The dockworkers, TSA people, airport baggage handlers, etc are often light-fingered and steal an unbelievable amount from luggage. This is why I never place anything of valube in checked bags and still lock them. It won't keep a thief out but at least I will know WHEN the SOB go into it and I will make a report and press charges and don't care who it was including TSA. As you can tell, I have no tolerance for a thief. Honesty is a very big thing with me.
Jim