Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to maggiehar
Default Princess vs. RCL

We are avid Princess cruisers and our friends want us to jump ship and try out a Royal Caribbean cruise. Would love feedback from anyone that has sailed on both. Thanks a bunch.

Maggie
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:03 AM
hydro-terp

Default Re: Princess vs. RCL

I havent cruised Princess. Have done RCCL twice and CCL four times. I think you'll like RCCL just fine. I now prefer RCCL over CCL. Its just a little nicer atmosphere. Nice mix of passengers from various age groups. CCL has has more of a spring break kind of vibe.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:39 AM
First Mate

We have sailed RCCL and also Princess. We just had a 10 day on the Sun Princess. We enjoy both lines. We prefer the smaller ships (Grandeur) although we were on the Adventurer and didn't like the size of it. On Princess we sailed the Golden and the Sun. We found the crew on both lines were very accomodating and friendly. I don't think you would be disappointed in trying Princess. I can only speak for myself I know I like both lines. I like switching from line to line even though I know you don't earn the status that others do. (Elite, Platinum etc.) We choose the line according to the itinerary. Have fun deciding.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to maggiehar
Default Re: Re: Princess vs. RCL

Thank you both. I've always been delighted with Princess. Last time I sailed on Royal Caribbean I was on my honeymoon.

Maggie
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Familiar Face

I like both Princess and RCCL and since someone has brought up CCL I like them too. If we are sailing alone, Princess is my choice hands down. If I am traveling with others, RCCL is fine as there is generally more night life and I prefer the Voyager class or the Radiance class of their ships. Even though they have become more mass market and family oriented like RCCL and CCL, I still findPrincess a little bit more "refined" than the other 2. As for food, dining rooms are all 3 are close, no real difference except that Princess serves cold water lobster. For the buffet areas CCL is far superior in layout and choices, with Princess next and RCCL a distant 3rd. The way that RCCL lays out the Windjammer tends to make for lines and they do not have the variety or quality that CCL or Princess has. If you were looking for all the hockey pucks that the NHL did not use this year they were on the AOS as hamburgers. If you wanted a grilled chicken sandwich, you had to go JR's and pay a cover charge to get one or see who ever was in charge of the buffet for the day and get permission to have one made in the buffet line. We are Platnium on both Princess and RCCL and if CCL did that we would be at the minimum platnium there also.

Having said all this I think you should give RCCL a try and do not think over all you will disappointed. You will find many things that you like with them and others that you think Princess does a wee bit better.
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Dave P

Hello...My wife and I have cruised RCCL, Princess, and Carnival. We will be taking our 14th cruise this October.

We think that all three lines are very good. Never have encountered a problem. This is just our opinion for what's it's worth, but we both feel that RCCL is a bit more upbeat than Princess and appeals to a wider range of age brackets. We love RCCL.

We also love Princess. We like Princess when we want a cruise that is a bit more subdued. We have noticed that there are more older adults and things aren't as wild. Plus, we just love the Wheelhouse Lounge.

Carnival was fine too, however, it seemed like it was for young and young at heart people who just want to party all the time and never rest, which is fine.

As far as food, entertainment, the crew, the rooms, etc, we think all are great. Bottom line is your personality. Every person is diferent and expects diferent things from a cruise line. If you go on RCCL I do not think you will be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Yeoman

I sailed on Princess years ago (and a few others) and liked Princess. Within the last few years we started cruising again on RCI and since I have a son now (and one on the way) I think RCI is better suited for families. Princess did seem more refined (years ago so things may have changed). RCI has a lot to offer kids 3 and up-good kids club (will be trying it for the first time this holiday season), and the Voyager ships have so many activities (rock wall, inline skating, ice rink, arcade, mini golf, basketball, etc). We are trying the Radiance class this time and are looking forward to a smaller ship with a kids pool & waterslide on board! The big ships are nice, and so spread out you really dont notice the huge number of people on board. We're just ready for a change. Ive though about trying Princess again, but we're making our way up the Crown and Anchor Society ladder (slowly)!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kcannava
Default Re: Re: Princess vs. RCL

Good Buy RCL! I have been on 8 RCL cruises and have had it! Service and food are to blame. My last cruise on Voyager May 7 was not up to par. Our cabin was full of sewer gases from the hadicapped bathroom. Guys were called to fix the problem but all they brought was a scrub brush and cleaner! Needless to say it was a band-aid approach that didnt work.
The veal was supposed to be a highlight main dish..full of grissel and tough. No waiter the first 2 nights.
I did book another cruise 9 night in October and cancelled it today after NUMEROUS e-
mails. I did complain to the persurs desk C&A Ambassador and finally to the president, Jack Williams. NO RESPONCE!
I'm booking on Princess tonight.

Post Edited (06-08-05 11:55)
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Yeoman

Have cruised both and found it to be like comparing a Ford and a Chevy. Both get you there but the loyalists to one or the other SWEAR theirs is better. We are loyal to "RCI" for 2 reasons; #1 is the Radiance class ships (love the size/layout and open spaces) and #2 is the repeat cruiser program. NOT because it might be better than "Princess" but just because we wanted to get to the top level with at least one cruise line. We have been "Diamond" level for a bit and now it also benefits us since we are "Elite" level with "Celebrity" since "RCI" purchased them.

Wife doesn't care which line we cruise with and Mom used to prefer "Princess" when she and I cruised but now she also prefers the Radiance class ships to "Princess."

Hope I didn't muddy the water, Robbie