Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:27 PM
mishmash

Default should we? ROS

My family is considering a cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston. I see that the ship is one of the older ones in the fleet. We cruised for the first time last summer on Carnival and found it to be somewhat of a dissappointment. It was my own fault, I was expecting a pampered atmosphere, great food, and high quality entertainment. We took our kids and they had a fabulous time. My husband and I however, decided Carnival just wasn't the line for us. We are considering RCCL due to some advise from friends. I was wanting some feedback from someone who has recently been on ROS or has any good info. I am very excited that we are willing to try another line. I'd appreciate ALL feedback. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: should we? ROS

I did a cruise last month on the SOS (Sovereign). We have a family of 6, 2 adults early/mid 40"s and 4 kids (18, 13, 12 & 9). We all really enjoyed ourselves. We did get treated nicely, but not pampered. The food in buffet was ok (more for kids) but the food in main dining hall is very nice. Not 5-6 stars, but very good non the less.
The entertainment was no Vegas/Broadway quality, yet we had a good time.

It comes down to this, if your taking the kids go with Royal Caribbean, (4 star) great family atmosphere. All should have a good time. It's not like the Carnival's party boat.
If your not taking the kids, go with Crystal ( 6 stars ) or Celebrity ( 5 Stars ).
Only problem with them is it may be an older crowd than one would assume.

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:05 PM
MagnoliaBlossom

I've sailed the Sovereign and several other RCCL ships as well as 7 Carnival ships. If you thought the atmosphere lacked a bit you may be happier with RCCL. For one thing there are usually fewer young people which lends itself to an overall more relaxed atmosphere. Sovereign is an older ship but in good shape and one of my favorites in terms of design. Galveston is such a great place from which to sail - try it and see what you think. If RCCL doesn't do it for you then you've set your expectations too high for mid-range cruising and need to go whole hog and cruise Crystal or Raddison.
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Passenger

Our family took Rhapsody Western Caribbean cruise in April and had a wonderful time. The ship is an older one but is in very good condition. Everything is clean and the staff took very good care of all of us. Food was very good and the waiter went out of his way to be sure our younger ones had what they wanted. He would even bring small amounts of things "in case" they wanted to just taste.
I would definitely recommend this as a family cruise. Be sure to get RCCL transfers front he airport. That was a pain, we booked Galveston Limousine and they were miserable.
Norma