Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:17 PM
dani b

Default walkie talkies and child care

What are your experiences on board sovereign? my son is 4 and I'm not sure if they have pagers if he wants me (its doubtful). should i get walkie talkies.

how about if my hubby and i are in seperate areas how do we meet somewhere without a preset time to meet.

Are there clocks onboard?

what is the earliest we can board if we leave at 5?

I cant help but be nervous about all of this stuff.

Watch out first time cruiser coming through :}

dani
monday is the day wish us luck
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Dan P

Default Re: walkie talkies and child care

Walkie talkies work on board.If you have ones with different frequencies it is better because a lot of people use them.We use our all the time.best time is in the morning when your wife goes up for coffee and you want something,lol.
As for clocks ,yes usually two by the pool.not to many other places.
We usually get to the ship around noon so we can have lunch on board.
Dani,once the ship starts sailing your nerviousness I hope will be all gone.I hope you enjoy the ship,that will be the hardest part trying to remember how to get around.And where everything is,it may take a day or so.We will be leaving on our 26th cruise in June and cant wait to go and relax.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Yeoman

I too would like to know if RCI ships have pagers or another method of reaching the parents in case the smaller kids want to leave the club. Our son who will be almost 4 will be using the club for the first time. I dont want to keep going up and peeking in the window to see if hes ok or having fun. If he sees me, it might be all over!

Thanks!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kcannava

ERRR Forget walkie talkies...I wanted to thow your kind overboard!! They should be banned!! Your little tike is in the best of hands and if it gets out of control they will just lock it in the closet...better yet...let the in-laws have em. They will never remember this cruise anyway. I think kids under 10 should STAY HOME!

Old May 19th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Yeoman

Oh dont even get me started kcannava! I posted a long one under gripes and bringing the toddler. Long story short, my son has been on 3 cruises (at 11 mos, 23 mos, and 35 mos). Guess what, he may not remeber the first one, but he does remember the last two. Hes been begging to go back on another cruise, especially when he hears that RCI music on tv for the ads. He comes running into the room telling us we have to back again. All three cruises have been a blast with him. I love watching him discover everything new. He is in no way a burden to us or others (if he was we wouldnt be having another baby in 8 weeks or going on another cruise over Christmas and New Years). The only people I would leave him with (my dad or brother) come along with us. The other set of inlaws cant be bothered. Even though they own their own plane, they managed to stay away for over 18 months at one point, and right now theyre going on 7 months without visiting). I cant imagine traveling without him as long as there are things for him to do. When we have traveled without him (for business) all we end up doing is talking about him. Cruising for us brings us all closer since there are no distractions from the office, phones, or work around the house to deal with. We come home relaxed and closer.

Im not worried about my son being in bad hands in the kids club. I do worry a bit about how I will know if he wants to leave or gets bored (probably wont happen, but Im just curious to know if they have system to contact parents other than the phone).

As for wakie talkies-I finally caved in last time and brought them after listening to people rave about them and losing my husband the last time. Well we used them the first day and we never saw them again until we unpacked at home. Theyre the good expensive kind, but between all the metal on board and others using them, it wasnt worth the hassle. If one of us was on deck, and the other in the cabin or inside, they didnt work. So they will not be making the trip again-there we agree on something.

alison

Old May 19th, 2005, 06:00 PM
CO

Default Re: Re: walkie talkies and child care

Theres also a lot of adults that should stay home too because of their behavior etc. My two children are going and they will most certainly remember this cruise. Both of them are under the age of 10. About the walkie talkies, I wouldnt spend the extra money to buy those that claim they have a 5 or 8 mile range because theres no way they can do that but I would get the ones with lots of channels or frequencies. The one that I used in my Law enforce. job was a Motorola and you would do good to get a 2 mile range if you wouldnt using a repeater. If I recall I believe that the club does have pagers. Seems like I read somewhere that they did.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:03 PM
CO

Default Re: Re: Re: walkie talkies and child care

Amen Allison! I think we were both writing at the same time.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:09 PM
hcat

Let's face it, Royal is becoming more family & kid oriented due to its pricing ships & programs--sort of the next logical step up from Carnival singles---if the walkie talkies don't interfere I have no problem with it--just like courteous cell phone use on land!
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Walkie talkies do work provided they are good ones. Unfortunately you get what you pay for with walkie talkies. We bought a cheap set at TArget, tried them at home and they did not even work from our back yard.
We took them back and bought an expensive set and the worked wonderfully.
As long as you keep the volume down as to not bother other passengers it's a great means of keeping in touch
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

As a radio tech, I can tell you that cheap walkie talkies will not work very good on a ship made of steel.. In fact they will not work at all.. The steel in the ship stops the radio waves and it really limits any distance.. If you want to try walkie-talkies then you have to buy real good ones. Not the bubble pack type at Wal-Mart or Target, but real good ones.. If you buy the cheap ones you will just be wasting your money.. Some of the ships are installing cell phone systems on their ships so that families can talk to each other.. If your family as two or more cell phones check to see if your ship has cell phone service on board.. They put antennas in different parts of the ship to get the signal pass all of the steel.. OM
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:26 PM
virginiagirl

On the Enchantment, the kids place had pagers they issued for all parent of kids 3 and 4 years old. My daughter was 5, and I asked for one also. No problem. They work on board, but not if you go ashore.
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:34 AM
Yeoman

thank you virginiagirl-that was what i was looking for! i assume then if one ship has a system like that, then most if not all the others will too.

alison