Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Prices of the spa

Anyone know how much RCCL charges for a manicure and pedicure at their spa? I'm sure it is a little pricey but is it worth it??

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Prices of the spa

Jewels

Generally I've found the spa prices on the ship to be about 25% to 40% higher than at home (I live in the Northeast). I get mine done before I leave.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:14 PM
hcat

I don't have specifics....but They do run specials & the services are usually very good--a nice way to start the vacation..or wind it up.....but pricey by home town standards...
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM
First Mate

I don;t think its worth it. A manicure is a manicure and a pedicure is a pedicure, no one does it better than anyone else. I got both before my cruise and it was $ 28.00 plus tip.
They advertised a reflexology foot massage for $ 120.00, which I thought was excessive. During the massage they attempt to sell you all their products. Is it worth it, I think not. As as aside, on my last cruise I went with 10 people, two of them were my elderly aunts, they booked the foot massage because they thought they deserved to treat themselves. I told my one aunt not to let them pressure her into any products, I failed to tell my other aunt, my mistake, after they had their massage the girl pushes all her products, my 80 year aunt said the girl was telling her about all the products and she was just sitting there smiling and shaking her head. She told me that when the massage was through the girl came out with all of the products in a bag, the total cost of the items was $ 690.00, my aunt took them because she was too embarrased to say no. I think they took advantage of her and wished I could have went to that spa and told the girl what I thought of her doing that. But I respected my aunts wishes and did not, total cost of her foot massage. $ 810.00. I know I got off the subject but this is just something that I had to get off my chest. I think the spas are way overpriced and I do not care what cruise line you are on. Just my opinion. Incidently, my pedicure that I got on May 5, still looks great and only cost 20.00.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:17 AM
willing292

One of the best facials I've ever had was onboard. I usually try and book one of the specials on a "port day".
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Passenger

Spa prices are outrageous and for as good as the pampering feels it's not worth it to have to hear the sales pitch the entire time and when you say no to creams and lotions they start on the vitamin packs...ugh. Not worth it.
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Admiral

When I book I tell them up front that I'm here only to relax and do not want to purchase anything. No problems....I do the Spa Tasters in port usually $79 or $89 for two treatments.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:24 PM
hcat

That is really outrageous about your aunt....The last time my experience was really ruined by the sales pitch at the end even though I said I was only there for the facial. The woman was so pushy that she even told me I could pay cash so my husb would not have to know. How presumptuos! But I do enjoy a facial esp if something diff than what I get at home--I always try for a special. Next time I will really make it clear & tell them not to write down the "presicription " they give you--I feel it its wasting my time as the service has already been rendered at the point they write that up.. BTW some of the products are not hypoallergenic--I bought the sunsreen once & really had a bad reaction to it...I immediately went back to the spa & they let me exchange it for something else a bit less upsetting to my skin--they could still see the rash . I felt if I did not rush in they would not have done it--once they get your money all that charm fades....
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:47 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Prices of the spa

hcat,
you know I was on the Norwegian Dawn last year and I was picked for one of the game shows and one of the prizes I won was a foot massage, that you could only get if the ship was in port (imagine that). So I found some time to do it and the girl was trying her sales pitch, I told her my husband would be really mad if I put the $ 80.00 worth of products on the card. She explained to me how I could do it without him knowing, she was going to put everything in a bag put it behind the counter and I could come back with cash or a credit card and he would never know. ( I guess they get commission).
But I felt so bad for my aunt, it was her first cruise, she had no idea what to expect and I think that 610.00 for products is absolutely outrageous. They took advantage of her plain and simple. I will make sure that if I talk anyone into a cruise that I will tell them exactly what to avoid. I still love crusing and would rather be on the sea than at my desk at work ( I am at work now). But there are things to be careful of and I would certainly caution all first time cruisers. Incidently, my pedicure that I got on 5/6 the day before my cruise, lasted until 6/6, so for $ 20, I'll get mine at home. I would like to try a facial aboard a ship have never done that.

Oh well, Happy Cruising everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Passenger

My Mom got a pedicure last week on the Grandeur and it was $55. I got a massage and it was like $110. I thoroughly love everything about RCCL, but I do have one complaint - The spa services are great but the sales pitch at the end of it really ruins the experience. The person who did my massage was quite aggressive trying to sell me the products. Otherwise, the services themselves were terrific! Just my $.02....
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:10 PM
venice

this begs the question " would you pay more for the massage if you were not subjected to the sales pitch at the end ?". I think we all are conditioned to paying more for spa treatments at sea because you are really paying for the "experience" not so much for the actual massage and to most we don't mind it.

I never paid for a spa treatment in my 20 some cruises until my last one (Zuiderdam) when I was recovering from a major back operation and it was highly suggested by both my doctor and physical therapist...My massage person was outstanding and she knew about my operation so I did not get the sales pitch at the end (of course I left her a big tip)

I suspect the spa must have a sales quota and must push the procducts (which I suspect have a heavy price mark up)..I don't think the staff enjoys pushing the product nor do we the customer enjoy it"

so, would you pay more ???
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Passenger

I would I would!!!!!
Old June 8th, 2005, 07:24 PM
hcat

They are overpriced so why pay more--the profit margin is probably enormous....They'd sell more if they had a sales area where you could browse--most folks are relaxed after the treatment & the sales pitch is ill timed----
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Prices of the spa

I agree with hcat. The fact is you just cannot brouse, and I would be more inclined to buy something if I could look at different products. This is nothing against RCCL because it is the same on all ships.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06