Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2005, 07:16 PM
Bermudabound

Default Voyager to Bermuda

We are going to Bermuda, leaving on June 12, and wondered if there is anyone that can answer a few questions for us.

The ship is scheduled to leave Cape Liberty at 10:00 p.m. What is the earliest that we can board?

Was dinner served in the dining room the evening of departure or was it not available because of the late sailing?

Are there any points of interest in Bermuda that you recommend that we see? This is our second cruise, but that was 6 years ago and it was to the Caribbean.

What was the Voyager like? I have been reading a lot here that it is in bad shape.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Voyager to Bermuda

its not in bad shape. could use a little sprucing here and there but a very nice ship. can't answer your dinner question, we were on the repo cruise that came into cape liberty.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Bermudabound - FIRST OF ALL CHECK WITH RC. THE DEPARTURE TIME FOR OUR 5/15 BERMUDA CRUISE ( AND I BELIEVE ALL BERMUDA SAILINGS) WAS CHANGED FROM 10 TO 6PM. I wouldn't want you to miss the boat.

We arrived at the terminal at 11:45 AM - were processed immediately and were onone of the first bus to the ship at about 12:30. Since we sailed at 6PM dinner was on the usual schedule. There was a buffet in the Windjammer when we boarded and I believe that was open until 4PM.

We were on the 5/15 Bermuda cruise and enjoyed it a lot. The Voyager is an amazing ship with lots and lots to do. There is of course normal wear and tear around but not to a very large extent. They are constantly cleaning and fixing the ship. I certainly did not let some worn carpeting here and there spoil my trip.

In Bermuda the ferry service is fast and efficient. Buy a travel pass (good for ferry or bus). They will be sold on the ship or as soon as you get off in Kings Wharf. Horseshoe Bay is great....beautiful beach.

On the ship do not miss the ice show - it is great.

Any specific questions, please ask and enjoy yours cruise. We certainly did and can't wait to go again.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
clem

Mary, thanks for that good news. There has been so much negative writing about this ship, I was very afraid we might be disappointed.Now for the questions... Is there decent shopping in King's Wharf, or should we go to Hamilton, or St.George? And.....how rough were the seas on the way to Bermuda. Some people have told me that crossing the Atlantic was no fun. A little worried about that! Thanks for all your help!
Old June 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Clem - We had a very smooth trip both down and back despite less than ideal weather (cool, rainy)

There are a few small shops in Kings Wharf in the Clocktower mall but the majority of the shopping is in Hamilton. We did not get to St. George on this trip so I can't tell you about shopping there but last time we were there the shopping was still better in Hamilton.

Enjoy your trip.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 03:37 PM
Passenger

i was on the voyager only 2 months ago and the ship is excellent inside and out i experienced a late sailing on the rccl majesty and dinner was served on the night of a very late departure so i would say that it would apply for the rest of the fleet.
normally the earliest you can board from what i have been told is between 11:00am and 11:30 am.
enjoy your cruise voyager will NOT let you down..

SPLENDOUR OF THE SEAS AUG 13 2005
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:48 PM
gerif

We were on the 5/29 trip - arrived at the port at about 12:20 - check-in was fast and efficient. The waiting area served sandwiches, hot dogs and cookies for those waiting to board. After several wedding parties boarded, the first shuttles came for the rest of us at about 1:40 p.m. Dropping our luggage off and headed for the Windjammer for a late lunch. Dinner seatings were 1/2 hr. later than usual (i.e., first seating was at 6:30) so everyone could enjoy sail-away. Don't miss that whatever you do. My family were all upset about being 5 minutes late for dinner because I insisted we wait until we were under the Verrazzano Bridge - afterward, they all admitted it was an awsome sight and well worth waiting for!
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Bermudabound

Thanks for all your help. I have one more question. Our ticket tells us that there is 1 formal evening and 2 or 3 casual evenings. Does that mean that 1 dinner is smart casual?

I am glad to here that they hold dinner up the first evening as we were looking forward to enjoying the sail-away.
Old June 7th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Rockythedog

Hi gerif,
You are right, passing under the bridge is an awsome sight. We were also on the Voyager from Bayonne to the Carib. I have some great pictures. I have never sailed under the bridge before. From my angle on the ship it looked as if the navagation equipment (i guess), antennas etc, might actually touch the bridge. But I quickly reminded myself that the captain had that all under controll. I don't think I was the only one who had that concern because as we approached the bridge many people started to make nervous noise, like when you see the first drop on your roller coaster ride. As the ship passed under with no problems the peolpe then started chearing . It was a great moment and start of a great cruise. To me it was as exciting as when I realized that the ship was no longer tied to the pier and we were on our way.
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:39 PM
gerif

Default Re: Re: Voyager to Bermuda

Bermudabound - there was one formal night (Monday), but, while they said there was a "smart casual" night, everyone pretty much dressed the same the other nights. We did go to Portofino's Tuesday night and DH wore a sport jacket and tie, but it was not really required. If you are going to book Portofino's, I would suggest Thursday night as the dining room selections were weakest that night.