CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Diet Coke Aboard RCCL (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/238172-diet-coke-aboard-rccl.html)

Windy Hair June 7th, 2005 11:43 AM

Diet Coke Aboard RCCL

We recently returned from the Mariner and were wondering about the Diet Coke aboard. We purchased a soda card and wanted our money back when we discovered how awful the soda tasted. Is no one complaining about this? As a big fan of Diet Coke I know what I'm drinking and what they are serving as DC tastes nothing like it. To add to the problem the DC tastes different at different locations on the ship.

RCCL of course did not refund our money because we were dissatisfied. We made it clear that we intended to purchase individual cokes because we felt the flavor was unacceptable, but they didn't seem to be interested. We will never do another soda card again.

In addition to this we noticed on our drive home from Florida that there were several billboards in the south advertising that Diet Coke is being made with Splenda instead of Nutrasweet (Equal). We were wondering if that was a widespread thing because here in the Midwest the Coke is still made with Nutrasweet. Maybe the ship is serving the DC made with Splenda and that's why we couldn't stand it? Does anyone know about this?

CruzNLexi June 7th, 2005 12:44 PM

Re: Diet Coke Aboard RCCL

Diet coke will all be made with Splenda by the end of the year. I do buy the coke card as it relives my headaches and I don't have to go to deck 4 to get some cokes or diet cokes. Sometimes at the end of a tank the cok products can taste different. The coke in Europe is horrible! I guess that is why most people drink beer and wine!
Lexi

alison1170 June 7th, 2005 02:14 PM

Maybe its not really diet coke but a knock off. It could also be that the diet coke was produced somewhere else and they loaded it up while in port (coke can taste different in different parts of the world). As for the Splenda thing-that looks like something new as I saw coupons in this past Sundays paper for the new stuff. They are still making the old version for now too. Next time you cruise you might want to bring your own on board-its cheaper and you know youll be getting the taste you want.

alison

John44 June 7th, 2005 03:38 PM

Re: Re: Diet Coke Aboard RCCL

There is no definative product called Diet Coke, there is Diet Coke Cola, Diet Pepsi Cola, Diet Asda Cola, Diet Sainsburys Cola, etc., but if they just call it Diet Coke they can make up anything they want.,

Cathy100 June 7th, 2005 09:29 PM

We always bring our own and don't have to worry about it. The new little bottles are perfect for traveling.

Flagators June 8th, 2005 06:20 AM

If you're ever on the voyager don't get coke from the 19th hole. It's awful. From there I just got cherry coke it was a lot better

gerif June 9th, 2005 01:27 PM

We drink Diet Pepsi and bring our own. Any fountain drink that you buy anywhere will vary in quality and taste depending on the way the syrup is combined with the seltzer - much safer getting cans or bottles!

sk8man June 9th, 2005 04:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Diet Coke Aboard RCCL

In the US there is a product labeled Diet Coke. It's a trademarked name. If, in the US, you say you're serving Diet Coke, it had better be Diet Coke. The Coca-Cola company doesn't like imposters.

rtfomky June 10th, 2005 03:56 PM

nexr time get the cans form the bar so you can see what you are getting will call my sis who works at coca-cola and ask her about the drinks

Martie June 28th, 2005 03:42 PM

We read that your not allowed to bring soda on board RCCL. We had no problem on Carinval & Horizon. We like Diet Caffeine Free drinks. Can we bring it on???

Atlantis 1982
Horizon 2003
Legend 2004
7.15.2005 Voyager of the Sea

fitzla June 28th, 2005 06:18 PM

I have always been told that you can bring your own soda in moderation...As far as the Diet Coke on board goes, it may not be diet coke. It is a soda card, and they don't tell you that it is specifically coke products. I would ask what they serve on board specifically as they have to tell you. If it tastes bad it could be that it is somewhat flat. That is the problem that I encounter most often.

If you read the frequently asked questions section on their website, it will tell you how much of your own soda you can bring on.

sal7202 June 29th, 2005 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Diet Coke Aboard RCCL

We always bring small bottles / cans of soda, water, & Spicy V8 As well as alcohol and no one has ever said anyting. I think they make the rule hoping most folks will observe them, but from what I have seen onboard ship, short of homicide, RCCL does not enforce rules.