Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Passenger

Default Cheaper Rates for FL Residents??

True or False

Do FL residents receive cheaper rates on cruises? If so, how and where?

My last cruise on the SOS the couple at dinner advised they lived in FL and got their cruise of $200 each.

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:27 AM
hcat

Default Re: Cheaper Rates for FL Residents??

Yes it appears it is true. & you must have proof you are a bona fide res. We have a travel club at our condo in Fla but since we are not really Fla residents we can't get the rate. Would not want to try to get by as they would add on to the bill as you checked in. Maybe sone of the professional TAs can explain the rationale I suspect it has to do with last minute type bookings so air would not be involved but I really don't know....some of the club offerings were in advance so it may be another reason altogether....
Old June 11th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

Yes they do offer FL resident rates it is mainly in the slower season. Last year we got a Fl resident rate on the Navigator we had an aft cabin and the total was like $1500.
Lexi
Old June 11th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Cheaper Rates for FL Residents??

I know this happens, but I think it's a highly discriminatory practice. We live about 1200 miles from Miami, but if you give me two days notice, we will be there. We can do our own thing with airline tickets, or if necessary, we can drive down. We were recently in Orlando and to return home for a family emergency. Drove straight through in 16 hours.

So, Royal Caribbean and you other cruise lines - give me the word, and we're there!

Old June 11th, 2005, 08:01 PM
rosetattoo

I'm a Florida resident and my daughter is a TA in Florida, I've never been aware of a Florida Resident rate on cruise ships....Disney World, yes, but not cruise ships. Only large travel agencies offer deep discounts on cruise lines they book the most cruises on and maybe they advertise them as Florida resident rates so we think we're getting a big bargain. Believe me, if there was a Florida resident rate, I'd be all over it.
Old June 11th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the information.

I too own a timeshare (condo) in FL and go thru our Exchange Company and have always gotten great rates on our cruise, but just wanted to make sure that I was not short changing my aunt and uncle because they are FL residents.

I have the job of booking our familys annual cruise.

Old June 12th, 2005, 11:32 AM
venice

that makes perfect business sense to me ..The same logic applies to ships leaving out of San Juan or any home port of call..It fills up ships that otherwise might depart with empty cabins (which is the unforgiveable sin)...There have been some recent postings on these boards from cruisers who complain about San Juan and local residents getting a good deal to cruise but it's non different then Florida residents (but I think those complainers would complain about anything)..cruising is about sharing with people from all walks of life brought together by a common bond..
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:49 PM
hcat

I really have no objection to the special rates as they are not the premium cabin selection from what I gather..or maybe just a group rate. Someone once did post that they had been given that Fla reduced rate by their TA but upon arrival at the port had to pay a very large additional amt as they were not entitled to the rate, The couple was elderly & it was a very difficult choice for them topay or cancel & was not handled well by the cruise line from what I recall. As to the last poster's comment , while we generally enjoy meeting folks from all over on our trips, on Brilliance in March from Miami we sailed with many large families from Miami who did not speak English for some reason -not even Excuse me when they cut in front of you...really not much of a common bond there..many rude adults & children....fortunately we found some nice quiet spots away from the crowds. We paid a premium price for this trip & hate to think they may have gotten a discount....Won't sail from that port again.....
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Passenger

I have never gone out from Miami.

Old June 13th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Admiral

I live too close to Miami for my tastes. (I'm not prejudice, my husband is Spanish as are my two children -well 1/2 Spanish). But it does bug the heck out of me when they "pretend" not to speak English and think that excuses them from being polite. . Unfortunately, rudeness comes in all shapes, sizes and diversities!!

P.S. my politician's mail, coupons and newspapers come in Spanish only many times. Even my husband doesn't read Spanish!
Dee
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Ginnie

Royal Cribbean does NOT offer a Florida resident rate on all cruises. They sometimes have a Resident's Rate for several states, and it may include Florida.
RCI also offers a Senior Rate on some cruises as well. The senior rate is always lower than the resident rate. Only one person in the cabin needs to be over 55 at the time of sailing.
Ginnie
Old June 18th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Ginnie

Thanks for the tip.

My aunt & uncle are both over 55, so I will have to check into the Senior Rate for them next year.

Old June 18th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Admiral

There are times when Fl residents get a nice discount. There are times that Pa residents, Ill resident, utah residents etc all get special rates. It is an advertising lead on to get folks to cruise is all. They often run it all over the country with one or two states or even a region getting discounts.
Jim

Old June 19th, 2005, 02:49 PM
hcat

LIve & learn .Does NY ever get that rate & how do you know if you can get the 55 & over rate. Mostly we just look up the website rate & have our TA book it. WE always take a specific location midships.& book as soon as the trips are listed.. In the past she gotten us a discount from that rate for us but lately it is by the book. She throws on other lttle perks so we do not shop around. We like her service & attention. But a 55 + rate could help...do you have to ask for it???
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Always ask for the lowest or best rate for the cabin category and date that you want. Remind the TA of your home state, age and any coupons or discount codes. Also, for Szyjka, since you are going to have a family cruise, make sure your agent gets you a group rate of 8 cabins or more (if he can, as many cruise lines are not booking small groups). You should get one free birth for every 16 passengers of 8 cabins; 16th free or you can split the amount as a savings for everyone. Have fun.
Bon Voyage
Old June 19th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Ginnie

A good TA will always check the PROMOS when booking a cruise. You have to go all the way to the bottom of the sreen, in order to see the senior rate. It isn't offered on every cruise, and it doesn't apply to all categories.
These promos offen pop up after the original booking was made at a higher rate. The cruise line will make an adjustment, after the TA contacts them with the lower promo rate.
Ginnie
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:54 PM
CruzCrazy

It's possible that the couple who got the cruise for $200 had a family member or friend who worked for the cruiseline? I know that they give their employees an option for family and friends to cruise for port/tax fees only when the ships are not full. Nice huh?

I live in Miami and have never received a Florida discount. My TA though does a lot of cruise business so she passes those savings on to me. But I usually only get about a $100 or $150 break from the cruiseline's brochure price now that RCL and Celebrity doesn't discount anymore. It's usually a break because I'm a repeat cruiser.

My hubby wants me to go work for Celebrity or RCL, but I tell him, "Then when would I have time to cruise?" I like it just the way it is, we are both retired and I cruise during the slow weeks and get my shipboard credits when I can.

Happy cruising no matter what price you pay.