Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Default Diabetic//Diveritcalytis(sic) person traveling-need help

Hi, I made another post dealing strictly with the medical aspect.

1. How is the food for people that have Diabetes or Diverticalytis=no seeds! (sic)? Are there enough options to make them enjoy themselves? My mom is not real particular or a gourment type of person, she just wants to be able to find food she can eat.

2. How is VOS with people w/disabilities? Do people in wheelchairs (but can also walk some) get early embarking or disembarking on the ship? How about in the ports/tendors?

3. Will VOS allow me to bring in our own bottled water? Mom basically only drinks crystal light.

4. How is customs/immigration/embarking with someone who has to bring in needles? She has already faxed the ship w/her doctor's notes. Just don't want her medicine confiscated and get lost.

5. Are there enough chairs on deck that have shade?

6. How is the spa? Would love to treat her to a massage (she also has arthritis real bad-hence the wheelchair) but I heard they are ridiculous in price and they harass you to know end afterwards. Don't want to spoil the massage with a sales pitch from heck.

If you can give me any other suggestions, tips, etc for my mom, I would truly appreciate it. Even if it's bad. Maybe I can prevent some things from happening in the first place.

Thanks,
Dee
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Diabetic//Diveritcalytis(sic) person traveling-need help

DeeDee:

There will be sugar free selections in the buffet and dining room menus for diabetic diets. They are actually quite good.

I have diverticular disease and have never had any problem. You may have to ask if some of the desserts are made with raspberries or strawberries. Bread puddings and some other desserts often have layers of these fruits. You also have to take some responsibility and keep an eye out for some foods and also ask if you are unsure.

If you find something does have something in it that you cannot have, let the waiter know right away so he/she can bring you an alternative. As you know, sometimes there are things in dishes that even a waiter may not know disagrees with someone with diverticular. (Most people don't even know what it is) <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Diabetic//Diveritcalytis(sic) person traveling-need

Thank you so much. I just want my mom to have a great time. Never know if this will be her last trip!
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:03 PM
gerif

You can go over with the headwaiter in advance what your mom can and cannot eat - he will be happy to make suggestions. They also have many sugar-free desserts available.

You should arrange in advance through your travel agent to have a wheelchair available for embarking and disembarking - not sure if they let you use one of theirs in port, you may have to rent your own.

You may absolutely bring your own water - we always do. Crystal light comes in little packets specifically to mix with bottled water.

No problem with the meds.

Usually plenty of chairs in the shade - ask a pool attendant if you can't find one.

Don't recall the massage price (cheaper if you do it the day of embarkation and on port days), but you should tell them in advance that you ONLY want the massage, no sales pitch.
Old June 14th, 2005, 07:52 PM
rosetattoo

I took my elderly mother-in-law on a cruise last year and rented a companion wheelchair from a local medical supply company...that was the best thing I did. I drove to the pier and dropped my mother-in-law off with the luggage and her wheelchair while I parked the car. Carnival does not guarantee that they will have a wheelchair for your exclusive use on the cruise, only for embarkation and debarkation. The companion wheelchair is smaller than a full size wheelchair and doesn't have those big wheels on the back, therefore, I was able to maneuver her very easily on elevators, hallways, dining room, Promenade deck, etc. Once we were in the stateroom, she was able to walk unassisted and the companion wheelchair folded up and stored neatly away. It only cost $30 for a two week rental so I had plenty of time after the cruise to return it and the chair was brand new. Because you are in a wheelchair does not entitle you to get on the ship early nor does it entitle you to get off early but they usually give people in wheelchairs priority and you can ride the elevators instead of the escalators. On the last day of the cruise, you will wait in a special area with all people who need wheelchair assistance, sometimes you are off before anyone else and sometimes you're shuffled along with all the other passengers pushing and shoving to get off, it depends on how many people need special assistance. I highly recommend renting a companion wheelchair and bringing it with you if you can, you are guaranteed that she will have a wheelchair available 24/7 for her use exclusively. As far as food is concerned, no problem, there is a great variety of food available to suit anyone's palate and diet restrictions. We booked a shore excursion in St. Thomas (a bus tour of the island) and we had no problems getting off the ship (Carnival staff literally picked my mother-in-law up and carried her down the gangway in her chair), the bus driver was very courteous and folded up her wheelchair and stored it in the back of the van. The Spa always offers discounted prices on their services the last couple of days of the cruise if you want to wait. We always bring bottled water on board, no one has ever questioned me.
Old June 15th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to carry what is called an EpiPen with me at all times because of severe allergies. An EpiPen is an auto-injector (pre-prepared injection) with Epinephrine.

I carry several. One in my carry on and two in my suitcase.

You should notifie your cruiseline...BUT you should also carry a written perscription from the doctor showing your Moms special need for her injectable medication and needles. This helps you to cover all the bases. We have never had a problem on airlines or cruises...
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:09 PM
hcat

Plenty of good food choices--but remember that "no sugar" is not the same as no carb--many who are not diabetic do not realize this...still I am diabetic & do fine--if my willpower is working! You can also request a diabetic diet plan in advance...As for the spa, good luck getting them to drop the sales pitch. I am going to give it a try on my next cruise but if they persist, that will be my last spa visit. It takes an extra 15 minutes after the treatment & it is a waste of time if you are not buying....Another poster said she cruised with elderly relatives & one was sold over $500 worth of stuff--so make sure your mom is good at saying NO! Have a great trip.