Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Davida Roth

Default Can only certain people get questions answered on this Board

This is the 3rd or 4th time that I've submitted a question about cruising and It's like I'm writing in the air, My question isn't even acknowledged.. I don't want to join your club, I'd just like an answer...... Please!
Davida

Has anyone traveled on either ship during Thanksgiving? Was it a nightmare? Was it overun by kids? DH and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary, We are 47 and 57, childless and not really "kid" people. We are considering the Nov.16th or Nov.26th sailings and I'm wondering if we're we going to run into problems and should we plan on another time.

Also how does RCL compare with the Princess line? We have cruised twice before, once on Disney (Don't ask,lol) and then on Carnival. Thanks for your help,
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:18 PM
shane22

Default Re: Can only certain people get questions answered on this B

you don' t want any kids around, you should go on an adults only place like Vegas
Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Davida, I think the problem may be that no one has specifically sailed these ships at Thanksgiving.

Personally I have never sailed during the holidays either, so I'm not much help. I do know, however, that school vacation time usually equals a lot of kids. Don't know if the same is true during the holidays.

On comparing RCCL to Princess, personally I prefer Princess, but RCCL is a good runner-up (in fact, have sailed RCCL 6 times). I find Princess a tad more detail oriented in the cabins, and I like Personal Choice dining. Other than those two items, give me the Solarium pools on RCCL anyday!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Desta4

Or go to Sandals for adults only....that would be romantic....if you are looking for a place with no kids.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 04:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

David , I am sorry you are having a problem getting an answer. I personally have had the same problem , however have just figured nobody had an answer. So anyway to you question. I have been on the adventure 2x , once was in August and once in February. I am going on the Serenade in January 2006. Honestly, i wouldn't go near any ship on a holiday. Children have vacations and families like to travel together. If you do choose to go, I would say that November 16th would be better. Both ships are very large, so it really does'nt feel as crowded. However having more children will make it feel that way. The Adventure has the ice rink which is a big draw with the families so consider that in your plans. Have also been on Princess several times but only in January or February. Keep in mind these lines are both " FAMILY FRIENDLY ". If you want a more adult atmosphere you may want to consider Holland America or Crystal cruise line ( the later is very high end ). Hope i helped a little, CK

Voyager -Nov09
Celebrity Summit - Jan09
Carnival Legend - Sept08
Serenade of the Seas - Feb07,May09
Celebrity Infinity - Aug06
Adventure of the Seas - Feb08,Jan06,Sept06
Old June 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Davida Roth

Yikes, I didn't mean to imply that I hated kids, it's just that I read several reviews that suggested that some of the RCL Cruises departing from San Juan had lots of rude, unruly kids that weren't supervised and had their run of the ship , sometimes at late hours. THAT I have a problem with. Yes, I do realize that children are a part of life, they're just a more pleasant part of life when they are well- behaved and respectful.

Davida
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:40 PM
Admiral

We sailed last year partially during Thanksgiving Week. We returned on Thanksgiving Day and there were over 500 kids 0-18 but it didn't seem that way at all. Hardly noticed them. We asked different staff members and they told us the week before and the week after Thanksgiving have less kids. This year we are sailing the week after Thanksgiving since schools are back in session.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Can only certain people get questions answered on th

Your best price and less kids is the week following thanksgiving and the first week after the new yrs cruise and I might add your best pricing during the entire yr and have taken over 30 cruises and know from experience.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Holiday sailings on many ships, but particularly RCI Voyager Class ships = many families = many kids.

Whether they'll be unruly or well mannered is impossible to predict.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:31 AM
Captain

We sailed on Princess two years ago during Thanksgiving week. There were over 800 kids on board. We don't hate kids - we have two of our own - but I would rather have a root canal without anesthetic than cruise during the holidays again.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:53 AM
First Mate

You might want to try Celebrity, while there may be some kids, it will not be as many as RCL. Celebrity does not have a great kids program. Its a little classier and more refined. Although I personally have not cruised Celebrity during any holiday.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:08 AM
Admiral

I know what you mean, Davida, my husband & I enjoy kids also, but we went on an adults-only vacation to an all-inclusive resort in Cancun and just loved it! No poopy diaper smell, kids screaming during dinner, it was VERY nice!

And we would never go on a Disney cruise...altho who knows, maybe that will change when we have grandkids, haha!

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:16 AM
Emm

i"m not sure which ships you were talking about -- I took my family ( teens and older kids ) on the Mariner Thanksgiving week, I was astounded when they said there were over 1,000 kids on board. There are policy's in effect now regarding unsupervised kids -- especially those that used to enjoy elevator chasing. Kids also have a curfew that is enforced -- my kids were sitting in a lounge -- an empty one at that, and were told to leave just a few minutes after the curfew time. I don't know if its the ship's size or what, but I really didnt notice the kids -- I would almost think on a larger ship there is more for them to do -- their own pools, etc. -- and that smaller ships the kids might be more noticeable.

Even tho i have 5 kids, its a pet peeve of mine that some people bring their kids on board, then let them run wild.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:20 AM
Desta4

How about late at night when the kids are hanging out on deck..........is there anyone there to watch them if they are horseplaying around or anything...I'd be worried someone might go over board.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
First Mate

I haven;t heard of any child going overboard yet.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Hi:

We were on the very first Disney cruise, several years ago with my three granddaughters and the people at our table were all teachers (with no kids) and commented how polite our children were. The cruise we were on, there were far more adults than children on the Disney Wonder. (Or Disney Magic, I can't remember the name of the very first ship) anyway; I've also sailed Carnival, during Thanksgiving week ,and we didn't see hardly any kids at all. Out of the 33 cruises I have taken, I can only remember two cruises where the kids were out of control and no one did anything about it. Neither of these cruises were during any holidays.....

I'm a middle aged female and frankly, we had a worse time on a long cruise where everyone (90% I would say) were over 60 and all they did was complain. I would much rather be with a ship full of kids who were having fun.......just my opinion.

Happy Cruising....Buddy
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
straycat

I just have to say...I could NEVER do a cruise where I had to disembark on Thanksgiving day. It would just be too much of an oxymoron.

We sailed on the Norway over Thanksgiving in 1999. I didn't notice any kids, but the turkey wasn't as good as home. (The clean-up was a lot easier!)
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our first cruise was on the Rhapsody of Seas, a very nice mid-size ship. Plenty of room...none of the public rooms ever seem over crowded. It was wonderful. If there were children on board, we never were aware of them in a negative way.

Because we had such a great time, we quickly booked a cruise to Alaska on the beautiful Radiance of the Seas. A much larger ship than the Rhapsody. We in for an unpleasant surprise.

Even though the Radience was bigger, it seemed more crowded. There were children everywhere...running up and down the stairs, down the hallways or through the public rooms. We often couldn't get an elevator because children were in them pressing all the buttons to run them up and down. This was especially true of the glass elevators. We rarely saw PARENTS WITH their children... just unsupervised children.

If there hasn't been already, there is bound to be an accident involving these children running through public areas knocking down an older adult.

Someone will get hurt, either the adult or child. We can only hope not seriously.

We are now somewhat wiser. We book cruises with a little more attention to the details, including WHEN!
Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Familiar Face

I have not cruised over Thanksgiving but did cruise over Easter in April of 04'. NEVER AGAIN!!! We were on the Caribbean Princes and it was packed with unruly kids. They were running up and down the halls at 2 a.m. and during the day it was a free for all from the pool decks to the lunch buffets. I realize that all the blame isn't the cruise line it also falls on the parents. Aside from not cruising during Easter again we will more than likely never sail on the Caribbean Princess again for reasons such as selection of food and room size. Baring that we find a deal just too good to pass up. This was our tenth cruise so I do have others to compare it to.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Admiral

straycat,
There was nothing wrong with disembarking on Thanksgiving Day. We disembarked in San Diego, only miles from home. Because our 3 USMC sons were serving overseas, 2 in Iraq and 1 in Okinawa, we made reservations at our local Mimi's Restaurant and had a wonderful meal, giving thanks for our brave sons and a perfect cruise. FYI...all 3 are home now, safe and sound, so every day is Thanksgiving!!!!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS

Davida - I've had some unruly, unsupervised ADULTS running around the ship. Sometimes I'd rather sit with the kids!!
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Desta4

But for the teens that are hanging out on deck late at night...........is there anyone from the ship out there to make sure they don't do anything stupid, or are you on your own.
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

SandraS:

That may be true...but at least with an adult acting up, you can go to a member of the crew and they will approch them...BUT with kids you are entering dangerous territory.

1. Parents are very protective of their children...sometimes even unreasonable. Their children can NEVER do anything wrong. Even if they SEE their children doing something rude or destructive...how dare you point it out. It's none of your business.
So not only do the passengers hesitate to get involved, but the crew have to tread lightly. No one wants a scene...so everyone just smiles and endures!

2. Really, the crew have plenty to do just taking care of their job....they shouldn't have added to that, the responsiblity of policeing passenger's children or teenagers. Parents need to stepup and assume their responsibility.

This isn't a popular view...and it is really just wishful thinking, if they haven't done it up to now...reading this thread isn't going to motivate them.
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:18 PM
hcat

Thanksgiving is a bad week to travel anywhere as are all holiday weeks-- but I have never personally cruised that week. You wil pay more for less attention & willfly & cruise with many families /children .. By mistake, we sailed Easter week this yr on Royal's Brilliance & it was partly a nightmare. Although cabin & ship were lovely & food excellent & we had passes to the private spa, there were children everywhere. The majority were in programs or with their families but there were also many unruly unsupervised children from Miami who pretended not to understand when spoken to in English.. Others were just not suitable for the activity they were taken to--like the specialty rests where there are longer meal--they ended up cranky & leaving te table alot or playing with gameboys.. or to late night venues.. Some children were forced onto the stage at the centrum performances & became the central focus of the events--just a pain in the neck. There were also children up & down in the stairways, elevators. Some switched room service requests ,some threw chocolate or ice cream over the rails into the art auction & some were allowed into the adult pool area where they ripped the beading off the elephant statuary... For us we will carfefully check our dates& leave the holiday times to families..
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:32 PM
glojo

Its been my experience that there are more kids on the 3-5 day cruises. 7 day cruises there are some kids, but not many that would ruin your cruise. Of course we are not huge pool people, so that may be why. On our last 10 day cruise there were only a few. However the elderly were just as annoying, if not more so. JMHO
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:35 PM
hcat

Sorry to humbly disagree--we had many seniors on a 10 day trip last Sept to Canada--on Celebrity --they may be slower but still remember manners 101. Our trip on Brilliance was 10 days-- too many kids & too much running amuck. It felt sort of like Carnival but with kids....
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did a 10 day Celebrity to Mexico. Lots of older folks...(never seen so many scooters in my life) But most were absolutely delightful.

Yes, there are annoying people of all ages...but as an adult we can deal with them on an equal playing field.

Ever seen the situation of unsupervised children playing in the spa? Screaming, leaping in and out of the spa, throwing things at each other? No parents around? At least that you can see. So you kindly tell the kids to bring it down a level. All of a sudden an irate parent appears out of thin air....and lets you know and everyone else within 1 mile that this is a free country and to mind your own business.

No...give me a cranky adult anyday.
Old June 25th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Admiral

On the contrary, Sandra, there ARE decent parents in the world! Once a bunch of kids shoved past me in a line, and I saw the mother and told her what they did. She immediately went up there and with a very HARD touch tapped her kid on the shoulder and made him come over and apologize! Now THAT is a good Mom!!! Pity there aren't more like her....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas