Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Patrick D.

Default Best liquor prices in St. Thomas

Before you buy your liquor on board or at Ed Cohens check out "K-MART".
I asked several locals and this is where they shop.
I compared prices at all three and sure enough K-MART" had them beat. K-Mart didn't have quite the selection that Ed Cohens had but it's worth the 10 minute walk.
Ed Cohen does have a good selection of Carribean liqueors and rums that K-Mart
and the ships don't carry and they will let you sample a good many of them. We bought several after tasting that we would not have gotten without tasting first..
When I got back on board and I was talking to the lady who ran the liquor shop and I told her about the prices at K-MART, she said "you're not supposed to know about K-MART".

We brought back 18 bottles with us simplily because I couldn't carry anymore.
We declared it all as we usually do and no one says anything at all when we leave, so regardless of what they may tell you bring back as much as you want. There is no need to try to hide it, but we do take an extra suitcase just for packing liquor when we leave.

If anyone has any questions I'll check back and try to answer them!

Happy cruising

Pat
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Best liquor prices in St. Thomas

The nice thing about buying liquor at the duty free shops near the ship in St. Thomas is that they pack it up for you and deliver to the ship fro free. I don't think I would want to lug all that booze on a ten min. walk just to save a few bucks. It is incredibly cheap to begin with compared to home. I was at the airport the other day and saw somebody coming off a San Juan flight with a 6 pack liquor box from Kmart and now I know where it came from. I was thinking to myself - Kmart and the Caribbean, somethings not fitting together here.

I think the govt recently increased the number of bottles of liquor you can bring back from St. Thomas. Not sure what the limit is now. Does anyone know? I was over the limit last time there and volunarily paid a small tariff, maybe couple dollars a bottle.