Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Orient Beach in St Maarten

We are thinking of booking an excursion that takes us to Orient Beach in St Maartin. What is there to do that will keep my restless hubby and 17 year old son entertained so I can be lazy on the beach? I heard that wave runners can be rented. Anyone know the cost?

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:52 PM
borntocruise

Default Re: Orient Beach in St Maarten

There are alot of nude people there!!!!!! Interesting to see, even in the on beach Tiki Bar!!!!!!

jp
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, you'll see jet skis and there is also parasailing, places to eat/drink and plenty of lounge chairs.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS
Default Re: Re: Orient Beach in St Maarten

Nudes? That should keep you husband and son busy!!

Old June 30th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Orient Beach in St Maarten

It is a nice beach with lots to do and SEE!

Old June 30th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Sandy. The nude sunbathers and beach strollers at orient Beach should be more than enough to keep any "normal and healthy" husband and son "entertained"! What an understanding wife and mother you are!

Grandeur of the Seas
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS

She probably won't be so understanding when she reads these posts. I wouldn't!! I don't want any comparisons done - he might sail away without me.

Old June 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Alissa

Default Re: Re: Re: Orient Beach in St Maarten

I've been to St. Martin on land-based trips three times, and have been to Orient quite a few times myself. True, you do some some "nude" people, but it's the exception rather than the norm (unless of course you go down to the naturist resort). Lots of topless. It is a gorgeous beach, and there's a ton to do. It's very busy and good people watching. Despite the fact that it is a "nude" beach, don't go thinking it's a beach covered with naked supermodels. In fact, quite the opposite... you really end up wishing most of those people would put their clothes back on! It's hands-down the best beach on the island - take your son and husband - it'll be fun. But, I don't know if it's necessary to book an excursion. I'd just as soon take a cab and save some $. You have to rent beach chairs when you get there - $7.00 or so per person.
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Dan P

You can also stay at the beach right where you get off the tenders in town.You can sit on the beach and the guys can either stay there or walk around town which is right off the beach.There are bars there so if you want a drink .then they can come back and meet you.
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

The last thing I want to see are people who really need to keep your clothes on. My hormone induced son would love to see those super model types walking around. Anyway we ended up booking a different excursion and if need be, we can take a taxi to Orient beach.
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Alissa

Jewels -
Since I've been quite a few times to the island, we've done most of the big excursions one can do there. If you have any questions please let me know. Highly recommend the 12m Regatta race!
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I thought about doing the race but my 8 year daughter may not like it. I decided to go to Divi's Little bay resort. It looks like it will have something to please each of us. Have you ever been there? Was it a nice trip??

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Old July 1st, 2005, 06:08 AM
Alissa

I haven't been to Divi before, but I know the location... It's supposed to be okay, but there's just so much to see on St. Martin that (and this is just my opinion) it'd be a shame to spend all your time at a resort that is rated, at best, pretty mediocre. It's also a timeshare so I'm not sure if you'll be harrassed. You'll probably have an okay beach day, but there is some pretty cool stuff elsewhere on the island. For example, there's a pretty good Butterfly Farm right near Orient Beach - the British guy who owns it and does the tour is a complete riot (he's a tad off color, but it's the type where a kid would never realize what he was saying). There is a pretty decent zoo as well. I think I am biased because I prefer the French side to the Dutch side. The Dutch side is crowded, and except for Front Street which has been cleaned up for cruise-shipppers, pretty dirty. The French side is much prettier, in my opinion.

Also cool is an expedition called "Rhino Riders" where you ride waverunners to go snorkeling. The 12m race is really the coolest... hard to explain, but everyone loves it. Not sure if it's right for an eight-year old though... that can be a pretty hard age to satisfy (my niece is that age). Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm just giving you my personal opinions - take them with a grain of salt.
Old July 1st, 2005, 10:04 AM
Passenger

As far as fun water activities go your men shouldn't get bored because there is plenty to do at Orient Beach. I would not book an excursion - save your money and just take a cab. You can get there in about 20 minutes time if you wait and let all the shore excursion people get off the ship and on their way. Enjoy a nice relaxing family breakfast first!

I have been to Orient Beach (cruising & non-cruising) several times and this is what I've noticed: there are two different crowds of sunbathers. There is the AM crowd and the PM crowd. The AM crowd is older, less fit, and droopier than you may want to see, generally speaking. The PM crowd is a whole different scene. The beach may be filled with more silicone than you care for your son to take in, and these gals are more than happy to show it all off. There will also be very buff guys for your amusement as well if that is to your liking And we are talking TOTAL nudity. Our recent trip a few weeks ago had us wondering if there was an adult video/movie convention in town. They are a very respectful group though and you will see them dressing as they walk down the beach toward the clothing-requested end. There is a Tiki Bar at the far end of the clothing beach at which some of the topless gals will venture to imbibe.

I always get a kick out of sitting near the nudist end of the beach and watching all the young males gather in a group (building up courage) to go walk on the "other" side. It really is a gorgeous beach and capable of maintaining some wave action whereas the beach in Philipsburg where the ships dock is really calm all the time and the water isn't that beautiful blue-green color.

All that being said, there are many wonderful beaches on St. Maarten and with a cab you can visit them all easily in a days time. You'll have a great day on this island!
Old July 1st, 2005, 11:05 AM
nmmita

For a family I think Divi resort will work fine; Of course I am a little different than some, I do not happen to find St Maartin all that wonderful. We have been there on a couple of cruises and spent a week there once, plus I have spent 3 or 4 days there with a friend a time of two. It isn't that I don't like it, I just think there are many islands prettier and with more to do. the races would be a blast, but I think you made a wise decision. As for Orient Beach, we have never gotten there though we have thought about it many times. Our youngest daugther visited a couple of times when we spent our week there. That was about 15 years ago and she is still talking about the guys who should have been wearing more than the sweat bands; her DH is talking about the same thing, but referring to the gals that would not even look good in a tent dress wandering around with no dress, no nothing. I think I will skip it for awhile. NMNita