Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Cheryl V.

Default Hump Cabin?

What is a hump cabin? We are going on Mariner of the Sea, how would I know which cabins these are? I have also heard about obstructed views, do I need to ask about this or would I be able to tell by looking at the ship map.
Thanks, Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Cheryl V.

Default Re: Hump Cabin?

Opps, maybe it was a bump cabin I heard about. Also are there cabins in the same catagory different (larger or smaller) because of location?
Cheryl
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Captain

Hump or bump cabins are those cabins approximately midships, and they "stick out" from the side of the ship. Some have larger balconies than a standard cabin. If you have a Royal Caribbean brochure, or if you look at their website, you will see them. For example, cabins 6310 through 6326 and 6610 through 6626 are hump (or bump) cabins.

As for obstructed view cabins, the brouchure or website will tell you. Also, your TA should be able to do the same.

Old July 7th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Dave P

Hi Cheryl...The so called Hump cabins are wonderful. We have been in just about every category room excpet a Royal Suite and we simply love the D-1 category hump cabin. We prefer these cabins even more on the 9th floor of the Radiance Class Ships such as the Radiance, Jewel, Serenade and Brilliance. Room 9078 or 9256 in our opinion, are the best. 9078 is in the middle of the ship, has a much larger balcony, is very private, and only has other cruisers on one side of the balcony. The other side is part of the ships elevator which you cannot hear. Room 9256 is also terrific and is at the back of the ship. Very large balcony and just so nice to be on the back of the ship where you can see so much. A bit more motion at the back, but those wrist bands work very well on most people in preventing sea sickness. They work for me and no medicines needed.

If someone cannot afford a Junior, Grand, or Owners Suite, a D-1 balcony with a hump cabin is the next best thing, at least in our opinion. Try avoiding hump cabins on the 7th or 8th floor because some of the rooms which are "E" category hump rooms, are just above the life boats in many instances and this prevents you from seeing the ocean below.

We are cruising again in December on the Radiance and have 9078 for our room again. Enjoy your cruise and I hope this info helps yoo a bit.

Regards,

Dave
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM
grin

hi Dave,
I am booked on Explorer of the Seas for next summer in a hump cabin on 7th floor. Is this the class of ships that you mentioned having the lifeboats right under the balcony? Or was it the Radiance class?
Thanks,
Linda
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Dave P

Hi Linda...It is the Radiance Class Ships where you can actually see the lifeboat covers below your balcony in some of the hump cabins. We have never stayed in a hump cabin yet on the Voyager Class ships, so I am not sure if those cabins have the same visibility problem, which in most cases doesn't bother most people.

The lifeboat covers just prohibit you from seeing directly down into the ocean, but you can still see everything fine straight out. But since the hump cabin balcony sticks out over the water, I would personally rather be able to see the water down below without any obstruction.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old July 11th, 2005, 08:17 AM
grin

Yes It does help, thanks, Dave!! I'm sure we will be just fine!!!!
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Passenger

Hi, I am new to the forum here. We recently booked a 'hump' cabin on the Jewel for February 24th, 2007. We have heard nothing but good things about them from our friends. The 2 middle cabins, I am told are the best on the hump. The stick out the farthest. We booked stateroom 7600 on the Jewel.
Judy
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Yeoman

View is fantastic from 7600....we had 7608 which had a bit more balcony but not as good of a view as you will have Judy.
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Fred Woocher

Default Re: Re: Hump Cabin?

Dave:

We just booked Cabin 8604 on the radiance, which is an E-1 cabin. The agent said it was an E-1 instead of the slightly less expensive E-2 next to it because of the hump. He told me that its view wasn't obstructed by any lifeboats, but after reading your post, I'm wondering whether that is true. Do you know anything about that cabin? Is it better to book a "regular" E-2 balcony that might not be over the lifeboats, or are all the cabins -- hump or not -- on the 8th floor in that category going to have lifeboats blocking the view directly down to the ocean below them?
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Fred Woocher

Default Re: Re: Hump Cabin Addendum?

Dave:

I forgot that we also booked Cabin 8592 for my parents on the Radiance. It's one of the center hump cabins, and looks like it has a smaller balcony on the deck schematic, but the agent said the balcony was the same size as the others. Anybody know anything about this cabin?
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Yeoman

Seeing what some of these T/A's come up with REALLY makes me appreciate mine! Now that I vented, deck 8 on the hump side (elevators are on the other side) DO have various size balconies. That is soitenly why the hump cabins are split up into "E1/E2/E3" on that particular deck. 8592 will be able to see both forward and aft without obstuction. 8604 won't have the same view but it will have more balcony (the obstruction is the hump itself, not lifeboats).
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Passenger

i booked a hump cabin on the navigator of the seas leaving miami on october 1. room number 6614. bob
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Fred Woocher

I should have been a little clearer, so that the travel agent industry doesn't take the wrong blame: It was a RC agent who gave me the information. The part that's got me confused, however, is that cabin 8592 -- which is closer to the middle of, and therefore sticks out further into, the hump -- is classified as E2, whereas cabin 8604 -- which is just at the very beginning of the hump -- is the one classified as E1. Do you think that's because the balcony on 8604 is larger? Is 8592's balcony smaller than normal, then? Does anybody know about these particular cabin types? I can probably still switch to others if there's going to be a problem with these.

(On the other hand, I'm probably just being overly neurotic about the whole thing . . . )
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM
hcat

9078 is a great cabin.....I think it's the one on front of the hump with very large balcony...if anyone is interested I can look up our room from March cruise but I think that was it!
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Yeoman

8604 is definitely larger so they do get a few bucks more for it. BUT I'd rather have 8592 so I can look all the way forward. You will still have a couple of chairs to sit and relax on your balcony. And "hcat" is right about 9078 but it's a category "D" cabin, our usual preference.
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Passenger

The one I love is #9580 on the Jewel. This is on the front part of the hump and give you a wonderful view forward.
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:49 PM
lrov

My husband and I booked a hump cabin 7320 on the Voyager. I'm hoping it was a good choice with no obstructions, but has anyone stayed in this room and set my mind at ease.
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Dave P

Hello Again...As mentioned in an earlier post, we have room 9078 on the Radiance in December. by all accounts, everyone has said this room on the hump is excellent with a huge balcony and a fantastic view.

However, I see that rooms 1104 and 1106 on the 10th deck have just opened up and they are also category "D" cabins. But these cabins that just became available, are on the back of the ship. We've been on the back of other ships before and did like them, especially the view from the back when the ship is cruising. The balcony from the diagram also looks a bit bigger than our 9078 cabin that we have already booked.

Any comments or info on room 1104 and 1106 on the Radiance would be welcome. Seems like these rooms and our current 9078 room that we have already booked are all nice cabins with great views and larger balconies. Maybe it is just a personal choice if we want the back of the ship or side of the ship at the hump.

Thanks again for all of your help and comments.

Dave
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Yeoman

Just had 1104 in May and would book it over and over again. The aft balconies are a recurring topic on the boards and all of it seems to be positive. I love the extended balcony and the view. 9078 is more centered but is on the elevator side so more pedestrian noise and it's right underneath the Concierge Lounge on deck ten. 1104 might get some chair movement noise IF people are dining on the fantail portion of the "Windjammer." Feel free to e-mail if you need any further input, Robbie