Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Lawsuit??

Just wanted to see if anyone else heard about the Norweigian passengers filing a lawsuit against the cruise line because they believed the captain put them in harm's way by sailing right into the "wave."

I guess in a way, I would be upset had I been on that cruise thinking with all the technology they have today that they could have taken a different course to avoid it, but let's get real, ships nowadays are so large, they don't stop or move on a dime!

I'm wondering if these same passengers are going to "sue" the State Governments in which they live because a hurricane, tornado, blizzard, or flood came through where they were driving their car!

Do people honestly believe that the cruise line, said, "screw the passengers safety, we're going straight into the wave!!"

Old July 6th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Lawsuit??

People will sue for anything these days, and whatever it takes. Some crap lawyer probably contacted some passangers and said "Do you know you can sue". You can sue for whatever you want, and it is pretty sad. When on a cruise, you have to expect the unexpected, and something like this is bound to happen every once in a while. More than likely, the captain didn't have enough time to avoid the wave. As we all know, waves can cover hundreds or even thousands of miles of ocean, so getting out of the way might have not even been an option. If people do sue for that, Shame on them!!!!

Carnival Liberty
Old July 6th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Martie

The lawyers were waiting at the pier in NY, handing out cards!

Atlantis 1982
Horizon 2003
Legend 2004
7.15.2005 Voyager of the Sea
Old July 9th, 2005, 11:05 PM
LOAV

The Daily Post said that 9 people were doing a class action for , I think, $10 or $100 million. Their claim is that the captain was racing to get to NYC because the ship was supposed to be featured on TODAY or Good Morning America. Whatever their rational, I hope they realize what idiots they sounded like whining to the press. The good news is that the suit will probably be tied up for years in the courts
Old July 10th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Bruce Chafkin

The bad news is that after NCL spends millions in legal fees defending itself against these idiots, they wil be passing the legal costs onto their customers in the form of higher ticket prices.
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Sheik

I hope not all Americans are sue-minded. In Europe, we aren't sue-minded, that sort of accidents can happen...so be it. We are all well insured, so why do we wanna sue? To raise the ticket prices?

My family (from Holland) have a waterpark in Moncton and Vancouver, and they are sued almost every day. When a kid brokes a finger for what reason, they are sued. I don't hope that all Americans are such sick people! Stop sueing, work for your money!
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Admiral

We have been programmed to sue. I get drunk, wreck my car and hurt myself. I can't sue myself ( as of yet ) so I sue the maker of the beverage I drank, the bar who sold it to me and the maker of the car. Obviously someone has to be to blame besides me.
I burn myself on the stove. I sue the store who sold it and the people who made it. After all, I didn't know the stove was hot. I thought I just had to set the pot on the stove and it magically heated the soup. I get a cup of coffee and its not hot enough so I complain and get another. I then drive away, talking on my cell, reading the paper and drinking coffee. I spill the coffe and sue. After all, wasn't my fault.

When the juries quit handing down multi-million dollar verdicts in these silly and /or stupid lawsuits, then you will see a drop in same but as long as its like winng the lottery, it will only get worse.

Yes Shiek, we are a nation of suers.
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:36 AM
hydro-terp

<<In Europe, we aren't sue-minded,>>

I think Europe is different in that if I sue you and its baseless you can come after me counter-sue etc. to recoup the money you spent defending yourself. That certainly makes peole have second thoughts about sueing.

In the US there is no such protection from frivolous lawsuits. Special interest groups go this route to force parties to do as they like. Its really just extortion.

This is one thing that the gooberment should fix.