Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default ???? About minors , Sea Pass Card& Kids Program

Good morning. This year we are taking my 11 year old daughter on our cruise. I know that every passenger has to get a Sea Pass card getting on the ship. As someone who wants to take advantage of the children's program on Voyager, I need to know what I can do to prevent her from using her SeaPass card without my being present. I am hoping that means I can hold her SeaPass card while she is in program. It is my intention to drop her off and pick her up without her wandering anywhere outside of that Adventure Ocean.

1. Do the children need their Sea Pass cards in any way in the kids program?

2. When you are travelling with a minor of this age, does RCI still give the child's Sea Pass cards carte blanche to charge whatever? I've read horror stories from the parents of teens on the boards, but I don't know if it's the same for a child under 13.

3. Does the kid's program staff "suggest a sale" with regards to Johnny Rockets and the arcade? Because if I put you in the kid's program, I don't want them taking you somewhere to buy something. Shopping happens with Mom and Dad.

I have already purchased a Motorola Talkabout for myself and my daughter in case of an emergency in the kid's program. AND ONLY AN EMERGENCY.. it's not a toy.
(I am always really proactive in letting camp and daycare staffs know that I can check on her anytime, in case God forbid there is a crazy in their midst. Before you pounce, I know someone whose child was molested in daycare.)

Thanks fellow cruisematers.

Voyager of the Seas to Bermuda

May 2004 Voyager of the Seas to Canada
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS
Default Re: ???? About minors , Sea Pass Card& Kids Program

When I took my grandson who was 11, the sea pass card for him was not "chargeable". Only the adults were so there was no unnecessary spending. They also gave them a special bracelet in case of an emergency on board and needed to get to the right life boat if you weren't around. The only way he could get out of the kids programs is if we came to pick him up and signed him out. There are so many adult counselors around and kids that I hope she wouldn't have any problems but you never know. They have tracking devices for cars, why not kids? We also tried the walkie talkies but there was so much interferrence, we couldn't hear him. Is a Motorola Talk-about any better? By the way, how was the trip to Canada, that is our next one. Thanks

Old July 10th, 2005, 09:35 AM
GMan

Just4Kian,
When you check in at the terminal you let them know who can use their SeaPass cards for what.(???-there's a sentence). Anyway, if you allow access to your 11 yr. old, you can monitor all SeaPass activities on your television in your cabin.
From past experiences with the couselors, they are all highly screened before hiring.
Most (or all) have degrees in teaching or a childrens' welfare field.
Old July 10th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: ???? About minors , Sea Pass Card& Kids Program

Thanks! I got the idea for Motorola Talkabout doing a search on these boards. I've never used them on vacation, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I hope they work on something as large as Voyager, but I'm really only using them in case of emergencies.

How did your 11 y/o find the program? Was it fun for him? Could he go every day or was it crowded?

I found Canada wonderful, although there were several people complaining on the trip. So much so, that the port of St. John is no longer listed as a stop for Voyager.. and I loved it there. The best part about St. John and Halifax was not needing the ship's excursions.. we simply looked up things to do on our own. In one instance, an elderly couple showed us the layout and we went to a museum for a tour. The food was nice and the exchange rate was lovely.

Old July 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks GMan.... I will be sure to let them know that. I am also happy that there's some measure of security. I was confused by the number of teens roaming around the ship on the decks near the program. I know kids have to have fun but some of these children looked inebriated. One of them made the mistake of getting on the elevator with my husband and I and got the evil "You'd better act like you have some sense while I'm on this elevator" stare from me. It worked.. they calmed it down.

Unfortunately, last time, we couldn't monitor charges in our cabin. It was my first cruise and the remote with the personalized info wasn't working... so I didn't really push it. I knew what I'd charged by keeping a log.

Old July 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS
Default Re: Re: Re: ???? About minors , Sea Pass Card& Kids Prog

We were on the Navigator last February and returning to our rooms at 10p.m and as we were walking through the promenade going to the glass elevators, I looked up and there was a teenager mooning us all the way to the top of the ship. My husband looked at me like, "did you see what I just saw?" It wasn't a pretty sight. I just wish they would have more security at night to help eleviate some of that distasteful stuff. I would have turned him in but all those moons looked alike to me!!!!!!!

Old July 10th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: ???? About minors , Sea Pass Card& Kids

SMH... I was a teen traveling with my mom. And my 15 y/o butt went to bed when she did. If we were out, we went together.

I don't mind it if it doesn't directly affect me, but once it afffects me OR my husband or child I get upset. If they run around and their parents don't care, what can you do?

But this shouldn't be an anti-teen thread.. because there are responsible teens as well.

Old July 17th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Passenger

When you get on the ship take the child's seapass to the pursar's office and double check to make sure his/her ability to charge using her seapass has been turned off. I've read several posts where the parents have requested that the seapass not have charge abilites when checking in, but when they got on the ship found out that their child had charged things like arcade games and internet usage. Double check at the pursurs office to play it safe. Don't trust that the person in the terminal at check in has done so.
Old July 17th, 2005, 04:23 PM
clem

Just4Kian,

We just got off the Voyager. The Sea Pass will only be able to have things charged on it, if you listed the child's name as someone who can charge. These papers will be in your documents when you get them. I would also double check at guest relations to make sure they did it correctly. Yes, you can check your Sea Pass account on your TV...but the last day...someone elses account came on our screen...let's just say I was glad I wasn't paying that bill!!! As for the Talkabouts...that's what we just used. We had some other people on our channel, but you can just disregard them. The radios helped us meet up on the ship with each other many times. I will warn you...many kids are playing with them at all hours!!!!
Old July 17th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks.. does she need the SeaPass to get into the kid's program? If not, I can take it with me when I take her.

Old July 17th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Clem... thanks for the advice on the Talkabouts. I don't really inent to have them turned on during night hours unless she wants to go to the program then. It was my intention to have them turned on in the morning program hours after breakfast. She's very excited with the talkabouts... . We've been practicing in the house.

On a side note, how was it getting off the ship? I always think they are going to schedule us last because we live here in Bayonne.

Old July 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM
clem

just4kian,

We were about halfway down on the list for debarkation. We got off the ship at about 9:25, but we had RCCL bus transfers to PA. There were still about 7 colors to be called. The people that we sat with for dinner, were next to last to be called, and they were from Newark. Everyone was off the ship by 10:35. The process was very smooth!
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

10:35 is WONDERFUL! That's good news.