Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Anne from New Eng.

Default RCL Mariner 10/05 (western)

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to know if anyone will give me suggestions on Island excursions !
Looking to do ...
Ocho Rio's- Dunn's & Swimming with dolphins.
Grand Cayman - StingRay City
Cozumel??
Horsebacking Riding????
I have been reading ALOT about booking tours with the locals- not through the cruise line. Pricing is alot better !! and groups are smaller ???
(Peat Talyor, Soto's Capt. Marvin, Capt. Bryan???? So many to choose !!)
ALSO any good Parasailing ??? Haven't read much ?? Which Island would have the best views ??
ANY info would be great ! This is our first 7 day cruise, Did Disney 3 days(Land/Sea) but NOT enough time to do it ALL .
Sailing -2 adults and a 9yr old. Looking to have a BLAST!!

Thanks
Anne
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Cheryl V.

Default Re: RCL Mariner 10/05 (western)

We had a great time at Dunns River, we took an excursion through RCCL. We are going again, and this time we will go on our own. Just grab a cab and there is a small fee to enter Dunns River. We also did the Dolphin touch. I would not spend the money again. We got to stand there a pet the dolphin once. Swimming with the dolphins did not look any better, they did the same as us but in deeper water.
Stingray City was great fun. We took the Cockatoo Catamaran excursion and we will do it again when we go back. The only bad thing is if it rains, (which it did on our trip) the catamaran is not covered like the boats are. On our way back to shore, they passed out large trash bags that we all wore for rain gear and had a great ride back. Lots of fun.
Cant wait to hear about your trip, we are going on the Mariner next year. Have fun!
Cheryl
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Passenger

Default Re: RCL Mariner 10/05 (western)

I think we're on the same cruise, did you mean 10/9? If so, we'll probably run into each other, 2 adults, one 10 year old son. It would be nice if the kids had a friend on board the first day.

Anyway, there's great snorkelling at Chankanaab Marine Park in Cozumel. You snorkle right from shore and there were tons of fish when we were there last year, including one shark (sand). They have a couple of restaurants, a replica Mayan village, snorkle equipment rental, etc. Great place to spend the day. They also have the dolphin and sea lion swims and a sea lion show. We loved it and were disappointed we didn't have more time there. In understand there's some other really great beaches there as well. We're going to go to one of those or maybe do a jeep or 4 x 4/beach/snorkle excursion.

There's also some Mayan ruin tours but the bus rides were really long and we didn't feel my son would do well just sitting for that long, he's more active.

See you aboard,
Suzanne
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Anne from NE

Default Re: Re: RCL Mariner 10/05 (western)

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, Oct 9th is our cruise... Can't wait to go!! Counting the weeks off. Nothing like moving the summer right out After the winter we had I really should enjoy the summer heat

Thanks for the ideas. I did find the chankanaab park in the tour book we recieved. Probably will do that and my husband wants to parasail there too !!
Have you ever used the local tour companies or have you stayed with cruise tours??
There is so much to do and all sounds great .
Also, We are on deck 8 / balcony room. How are the sizes of the rooms and balconies??
I also have heard there is not laundry/pressing rooms on the ship?? I heard only valet cleaning services?? So there are no irons in the room either??

Do you think there is will be alot of kids there? My daughter is 9 !! Our First full week cruise. We did Disney 3/4 land/vacation (2001) and that was NOT long enough to do anything...too short of a cruise. How is the kids club?? She is looking forward to meeting some new friends... Maybe have a pen pal for the school year to write back and forth with.

We should catch up with you all on the cruise.
Annette
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: RCL Mariner 10/05 (western)

If the rooms are like the ones on the Navigator they are a comfortable size and the balcony as well. We were on deck 8 on the Navigator. We are doing back to back cruises on the Mariner staring Oct. 2nd. This time we will be on deck 9. You are right in that there is no free standing laundry on the ship or irons in the rooms.

3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise