Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Royal Caribbean Visa reward points

For anyone curious or has points this may be of interest. I have over 15,000 points accumulated and an upcoming cruise. On RCI's website, there is information on how to redeem them. I called RCI and the guy on the phone was very helpful and told me to call MBNA. This call was much different. After being on hold for many minutes and being given every choice but the one I was looking for, I was told to press "0" for the next available rep. I got Latasha, who tried to transfer me to someone else who "handled" the rewards points. She proceeded to read to me all the details. I said, "that's OK, I am reading them here in front of me. I just need my coupon. I was told by Nathan at RCI to be sure to get the coupon number and call him back. Latasha tried to get me to open a new business credit card. I told her I did not need another credit card and just wanted my coupon. She then said she could help me with it and did not need to transfer me afterall. She took my information, then said it would be in the mail. I said, "wait a minute, I need to certificate number". She put me on hold for awhile and then came back with it. I asked her how long it would take and she did not know. I said, "I know it says 6-8 weeks on the site but if you are mailing it now, I can't see it would be more than a few days.

Anyway, I called RCI back, they were very helpful, took the number, made some notes in the computer and said to mail it in when I got it. If I have already paid in full by the time I get the coupon, I can either get a credit to my VISA or an onboard credit. I told him I would rather the onboard credit as I will surely drink more than $150 anyway. Since I have already selected an inside cabin on deck 8 right under the pool first cabin forward of the centrum, I opted for the $150 discount rather than the move from inside to outside. That would have moved me down to deck 2 or 3 three. I like being under the pool near the stairs. I am rarely in the cabin except at night, (can't see out anyway) or when refreshing my drink or changing clothes or entertaining.

To make a long story short, it took two phone calls, endless minutes on hold with MBNA but I got my $150 discount for 15,000 points. Hardly seems worth it.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.
Default Re: Royal Caribbean Visa reward points

We had thought about getting this credit card and I even called to apply for it but was uncomfortable when the agent was doing our credit check and at that time we were carrying a large balance on another card and the agent asked me what we had bought to run up this balance. None of his business! So we decided against it. Doesn't sound worth the hassle.
Angela Z.

Old July 30th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

It started off with a great intoductory offer. Then they crept the rate up on me. I paid it off last month. While I was was on the phone yesterday, I asked why they had raised my rate since my credit was good and I had never been late. She said rates have been changing. I said yeah but not that much. I am in finance and aware of what rates have been doing. She said they raised some rates they shouldn't have and offered to lower my rate back down. They wait til you have a big balance and then jack your rate. The lousy points are hardly worth it but I do like the picture of the Voyager of the Seas on my card.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 30th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Passenger

I just paid this card off and am closing it out. I will stick with my Bank One and that's it...

Jewel of the Seas
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:11 PM
hcat

We enjoyed getting the shipboard credit. for our last trip on Brilliance. For us it took a bit of time to get the certifs from MBNA .We were advised to have them sent express for an extra fee--they then charged us an extra fee ($17 ) for each coupon It was outrageous,. But they then deducted it all but one fee--said that's the way it had to be done. We really did not need to do it express & would not do it that way again... We have by now have racked up more points. My goal is not to run any balance (we are close) --just rack up the points for shipboard credits...What other travel cards has anyone had luck with?
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

On our PC in Jan I used points for onbaord credit and the $150 off of the cruise. I have never had an issue with them. It did take me a while to get to talk to some one but that is the norm thsese days everything is automated. I had my coupon within 2 weeks of calling. I pay all my credit cards off each month.
Lexi
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Yeoman

I just use my CITI AAdvantage card and then I just use miles to get free flights to the cruise departure city. Save a ton of money that way. CITI cards are great, never had a problem with them. Never did like MBNA.

Carnival Liberty
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:35 AM
Captain

I am the credit card queen. If you want the best deal on cruising get the Norwegian card through MBNA. The Carnival card is a little better deal than the RCI card but still not as good or as flexible as NCL.
The Carnival card has recently changed its reward system and works very similar to the RCI however it takes fewer points. It is however disconcerting in that they do not guarantee that you can use it on any cruise. The amount of cash discount varies according to cruise, ship and date. Sorry, but I want to know in absolutes what I get for x # of points.

NCL gives you 3 points per $100 (unless you use it for NCL charges and then it's 4).
A point equals $1 in value
You can accrue up to 1,000 points ($1,000 in points) per year.
When you have accrued 500 points you call MBNA and request a certificate. It is mailed to you in 4-6 weeks at no charge. If you need it expedited in 3-5 days there's a $35 charge.
With the certificate you now have a $500 gift certificate that you use like cash so you can shop for the best deal you can find. There is no limitation on usage (ship, dates, cabin) at all.
You can use up to $3,000 in certificates per cruise.
I have 4 NCL cards because I charge a LOT at my business so I'm able to get $4,000 in cruise certificates a year and that allows me to do several cruises a year.
Much better deal than either Carnival or RCI.