Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Default Couple's TV interview re: rerouted cruise from Bermuda

I just watched the interview, apparently the couple had invited numerous guests who showed up at the dock and were presented with a letter saying the cruise was going to be rerouted to Canada. They had planned to be married in Bermuda a year previously, but alas, only ended up having a mock ceremony on the cruise ship (they are still not married). When they stated that they had arrangements in Bermuda, RCCL told them they should fly their guests there, but of course would not pick up the tab....

I'm not certain of this, but the bride to be stated that Carnival went to Bermuda at the same time...also during their cruise, they were beseiged by rain and cold weather.

At least they made the best of it, but I would be interested to find out if Carnlva did, in fact, go to Bermuda............

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:53 AM
Bob Burke

Default Re: Couple's TV interview re: rerouted cruise from Bermuda

Don't know about Carnival but Ncl and Celebrity went to Bermuda.
Old July 31st, 2005, 10:44 AM
clem

I don't even think Carnival has cruises to Bermuda this summer!
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:02 PM
kellie

I was on this ship I met this couple they were royally screwed. We all basically paid double the fare to Canada, and the weather was the same, except in Canada it was 55 instead of Bermuda's 85. Still had rain and wind the whole time.

I have cruised other cruise lines and was once compensated more for a simple port change. They treat people horribly. They could care less about the bride's on this ship who's wedding's were destroyed, they spent 10,000.00 dollars for what?

The rest of us deserve something too, you couldn't even utilize the outdoor area's of this ship because of the wind and rain. This trip should have been canceled. I will make sure to tell everyone i can the way we were treated.

Royal rip off felt it was fair to give us back the difference in port charges but not the difference in the cost of the trip. The women I spoke with from RCCl told me, you pay for the ship not were your going. I can get that if we could have used the ship had to offer, we could only use the indoors.
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

I was married on the Majesty about a month after 9-11-01 and the week after 9-11-01 I was told that there would be no NON sailing guests allowed! I had including my husband who worked on the ship 10 sailing guest and about 45 non sailing guests. I was told we could do something on land in Miami or we can wait and see. We waited and the wedding went on as scheduled with the non sialing guests onbaord for the wedding. Anytime you cruise during hurricane season June 1- November 30 you can be rerouted it is in the fine print every cruise line has it. Yes it is too bad what happened but it's hurricane seson and ships may be diverted. We don't cruise until mid Oct at the earliest.
lexi
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:34 PM
Bob Burke

Default Re: Re: Couple's TV interview re: rerouted cruise from Bermu

Why did the Celebrity ships go and not Voyager ? They are both owned byRCCL.
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Ling Ling

Default Re: Re: Re: Couple's TV interview re: rerouted cruise from B

Those ships were on a seven-day itenerary.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:47 AM
Ug

Read the fine print, Cruise lines can change ports and not give you a darn thing back.
They don't control the weather.

As for paying double the price, I just checked the prices, $679 inside/$858 oceanview/$989 Balcony is the range you paid for your 5 day cruise.
The cost of a 7 day cruise (out of Boston) to Halifax/Saint John, with Matha's Vinyard, Bar Harbour & Portland Maine also as stops, is $889 inside/ $1399 oceanview.

Price per day your cruise $136/$176/$198
Price per day 7day NE Cruise $127/$200 (on a much older ship, which tend to be less$$)

How's that Double?? If anything it's about the same price!!! As for not being able to do anything outside?? You think the ride into aTropical Storm/Hurricane would have allowed you to use the Outside facilities?!?!
Imagine if your ship had of headed to Bermuda and couldn't have got in, how really pissed you'd all of been!?!?! 5 days at sea in rough weather!!

If it had of been a longer trip and going to other ports in the Caribbean, it could have just
skipped Bermuda. The Cruiselines could have made a decision later, on heading into Bermuda, based on Weather if they heading in that direction.

Sorry for the rant, but it pissed me off seeing all the passengers complaing to the local news. Your on a ship in a Ocean. The Cruiseline made a decision, and from anybody else other than the passengers on THAT ship it was a wise one. Get over it!!!
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Couple's TV interview re: rerouted cruise from B

The Celebrity ships were definately in port last Monday in Hamilton. I was there on a land based trip. Don't know what they encountered at sea or for the later part of the week but if anyone tells you they had great weather in Bermuda, they lied.
It rained torrentially Sunday morning. Over two inches in two hours. Monday in rained steadily all day long (from morning till night).
I feel very badly for people who were diverted to Canada, but depite wind and rain they did not sail in a Tropical Storm. They did not encounter 75 mile per hour wind gusts.
I can tell you what the perspective on all this was Saturday and Sunday on Bermuda TV.
Through Sunday night the storm was being shown as a dead on hit for Bermuda.
Tropical Storm with Hurricane force gusts, heavy rains were anticipated for Monday night to Wednesday morning.
Channels to enter the ports in Bermuda are narrow and shallow and dificult at best for the smaller ships to negotiate. Voyager, at three times the tonnage of Zenith and Horizon , would be nearly impossible to get in and out of Bermuda in bad weather.
I think RCCL made the correct choice. I can only imagine the screaming and hollering on these boards if folks had sailed in and out of a tropical storm to get to Bermuda.
High offshore winds, small craft advisories and threats of thunder and lightening continued in Bermuda even after the storm turned north (right in the path of coming and going ships) on Monday into Tuesday.
Sorry folks, but RCCL did the right thing.
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:01 PM
Passenger

Okay,I have to say I agree with most of the postings.....who the heck wants to sail directily into a storm?as far as the wedding goes I myself would never plan something like this just because of the huge fact that you cannot control the weather...I think it is way too much of a risk to plan this type of wedding in the first place,yeah it is romantic but so is a nice chapel with candle light and music and all the people who matter the most to you witnessing the whole thing....

Jewel of the Seas
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

A year ago in May we sailed from Hawaii to Vancouver. The weather the day we departed Hawaii turned ugly.. with cold and high winds. Oddly it got warmer as we got north heading closer to Vancouver.

Weather is weather and isn't controlled, or even really predictable.

Weather on the Canadian east coast in the summer months can actually get quite balmy. Unfortunately, it seems all the forces of weather were against these passengers... but that can't be the cruise line's responsibility.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:48 PM
cpaige

Does Anyone know if any other cruise lines went to Bermuda - during the storm?
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:43 PM
Jayson Hahn

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Couple's TV interview re: rerouted cruise fr

Monday, yes. Tuesday, no. Tuesday is when the storm hit.
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:44 PM
Jayson Hahn

I was also on the Voyager that was supposed to go to Bermuda and went to Canada...

What I could not believe is how many people let it ruin their trip!!! The ship, crew and food could not have been better. If certain people were receiving rude treatment from the crew, it was because so many were "beating" up on them constantly for 6 days. We were treated like gold for 6 days by everyone on the ship.

I agree...Canada is not the best place to cruise to. St. John was a worthless stop but Halifax is a great city. It was unfortunate that the weather was bad the entire way but many of the passengers, especially those Monday morning quarterback "lawyers" who are threatening a class action suit, ruined their own trip, not RCCL.

People think that there are just ports of call waiting for ships to come in unannounced. The storm was heading for Mexico in the AM on Saturday 7/23 and by that afternoon it did a 180 and headed towards Bermuda...unfortunate...maddening...but not RCCL's fault.

What amazed me even more is even after the Captain read a statement over the announcement system from the Department of transportation of Bermuda stating that they would have denied us entry on Tuesday and would have maybe allowed us to dock for 2 hours on Wednesday. Even after learning that people still wanted blood from RCCL.

I am tired of hearing people say how they were "kidnaped" by RCCL. Hundreds of people taking over common areas and theaters to discuss how bad the cruise is instead of having a drink in one of the 6 hot tubs! My wife, 7 year old daughter and myself had a great time on the ship. Weather was unfortunate but I cannot stress enough how many people ruined their own trip.

We would sail with RCCL on the Voyager again in a heartbeat. In fact my daughter has already asked that we sail on that ship again!
Old August 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM
Passenger

I just love being on a ship. I would be sorry if they changed the ports, but it happens, and we would just make the best of it. I'm sorry it happened, but give it up people, Royal Caribbean made a call and did it for the safety of all. You chose to sail during Hurricane season.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Thank you Jayson for stepping up with your assessment of the cruise
in the face of so much negativity. I would imagine you are quite accurate in that many people ruined their own cruise, as well as ruined it for many others as well, with their constant griping.

Sometimes I think it would be funny if a captain just got on the horn and said " okay folks, we have a hurricane in our path but what the hell--- so many people raised hell about missing a few ports last year, our new policy is that we won't skirt around storms anymore--- we just plow right on through----you wanted Bermuda--- you're going to get it--- grab hold of something and hang on--- " Can't you just imagine all the pi##*ng and moaning if they did that but it would serve some people right .

Anyway, I have my flack vest on now so go ahead.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Admiral

This decision needed to be made sometime Saturday or Sunday morning. At that time, the storm was targeted for a direct hit on Bermuda on Tuesday. I WAS THERE.
Yes Celebrity ships made it down there, but they sailed Saturday and arrived Monday.
If need be, they could have sailed out again Monday night or Tuesday, but at that point the storm was already turned away from Bermuda (but into the path of ships arriving on Tuesday).
Voyager had no option other than to sail deliberately into the path of an oncoming tropical storm , arrive on the day it was scheduled to hit Bermuda and not be able to
negotiate the channels approaching the islands.
The Dockyards where Voyager was scheduled to dock are on the exposed western end of the island. Voyager is way too big to enter the harbors at Hamilton or St Georges and seek shelter there.
RCCL had no choice other than to do what they did. Their actions were prudent and correct for the safety and comfort of the ship and passengers.
No I do not work for RCCL.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:00 PM
Glenn Comunale

There is something I don't understand here. If NCL's Crown sails to Bermuda on Sunday 7-24 from the same port as RCL's VOS and both are supposed to be in Bermuda on Tuesday and I read a posting that the weather in Bermuda was sunny Tuesday thru Friday how could two companies make so different a decision. Are we supposed to believe that the people on the Crown went through hell to get to the Island but ended up with a good outcome, of course it was a seven day trip but still so different outcomes, very strange. By the way way would RCL send such a big ship into a port with such a tricky harbor entrance? wonder if that had any thing to do with the decision to change direction.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:17 AM
cpaige

Is it a fact that NCL went to Bermuda on Sunday? Does anyone know what kind of weather they experienced?
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Was the weather sunny in Bermuda Tuesday through Friday? Lucky if it was. On Tuesday the local Bermuda weather channel on TV (in Bermuda) was showing rain on Wednesday to Saturday. Although sunny on Tuesday ,there was very high winds and surf , predictions of a continuation of the thunderstorms that had been around since the previous Thursday and small craft advisories. Seas on the south shore were showing at 7-12 feet..