Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:55 AM
jeri

Default tips

I hate to even ask this.....but do you HAVE to tip as much as they advise you to tip? that will cost us over 200 dollars ! and what if someone doesnt deserve a tip at all? will they "come after us" if we dont leave exactly what they suggest ? I know this sounds horrible but I had to ask.
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: tips

No, no one will "come after you" BUT you are already anticipating bad service. I have never seen or met someone who does not deserve a tip. Tips are just part of cruising. It's an expense you know about before you go and can plan accordingly. The staff works very hard to please everyone and at $10/day/person is a small amount to earn. We have always had wonderful service and always give more than the suggested amount. Remember they are on duty over 12 hours a day, away from family and home for months and only make about $2/hr. They work for tips and depend on them. If you have a problem with something don't wait till the end of the cruise and "deduct" it from their pay. Tell them immediately and see how they resolve it. If there are kids involved, they work even harder.

Our 3 sons were spoiled with attention and service. We let them each give their own envelope and say thank you to the staff. They would even think of someone special they wanted to remember. A good learning experience and to this day, they are appreciative of good service and generous tippers.

Post Edited (07-31-05 11:03)

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:56 AM
jeri

Default Re: Re: tips

thank you. I had just heard some horror stories, one person told me they only saw one of the people they had to tip one time at the beginning of the cruise and thought it was silly to tip him for 1 minute of service.....I am always a good tipper I think I just wasnt sure about the policy on the ships
Old July 31st, 2005, 10:43 AM
clem

Many times you may not "see" your cabin steward, but he/ she is there doing their job at least twice at day. If they have done their job...they definitely deserve a tip!
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

My hubby used to work as a waiter for RCI and the people who do not tip ar refered to as Ninja's they cruise the entire week or days and don't show up the last night. The wait staff get about $50 a month for thier salary and the rest is the tips. Just like we don't work for free. They deserve to be paid. You may not see the head waiter but if you are someone at the table has a birthday etc they are cordinating that as well as trying to get peole at the right table. If you don't like your table go to them they will change it for you. I always pay the tipping guidlines and then some.
Lexi
Old July 31st, 2005, 04:37 PM
big apple

You are absolutely correct and I have seen those not show up the last nite on many cruises and you will find many times they are the ones who are complaing the most about everything
Old July 31st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Passenger

Bingo Big Apple! I am in business and the people who want to pay the least needle and drive you crazy. I had to get rid of these clients because after all done and said with, I was only making $3/hour off these fools, while I make $90/hour off everyone else.
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM
browezilla

Quote:
wait staff get about $50 a month for thier salary and the rest is the tips. Just like we don't work for free.
A show I saw on PBS said it was $80-85/month (yes month!). The problem is that most cruisers don't realize that the service staff relies nearly 100% on TIPS. I do think everyone should tip, and I consider it one of the "least publicized" portions of your cruise fare (not hidden, but it catches first-timers off guard a lot). I know a lot of people that were a bit stunned after booking a cruise to find out that they needed to tip $10/person/day.
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Yeoman

Just have the tips already prepaid before the cruise. RCI staff are wonderful. We did this and could not have been happier all nights with our service. While we had done this with Carnival and the service did lag quite a bit. But not with RCI.
Also be sure to tip room serivce a buck or two for each delivery.
Old August 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Sascol

Here's a related question I have wondered about...

Let's say it's a 10-night cruise. On three of those 10 nights, we don't eat in the dining room because we dine in the specialty restaurants instread. Do we tip the main dining room wait staff for the full 10 nights or just the 7 that we actually ate there?

Also, do you tip the staff in the specialty restaurants on top of the fee you pay or is part of the fee to cover the tips?

Fine either way.....just want to know what the "norm" is.
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Sascol,
We had the situation in the past and because we wanted to do the correct thing we asked. We were told to tip your dining room staff $3.50/pp/day that they served you. Then on another thread here I was told that was not correct and that we should tip for the week whether or not we ate dinner in the dining room. We tip the old fashion way, personally handing it to them and "thank them for their serve on the nights we ate there". Now after reading on other threads that their tips are pooled I don't know if it makes a difference. And yes, we always tip extra in the specialty restaurants. Once you experiience their service and attention you really want to.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Dow Dow

We always tip in advance. This is for convenience pruposes. Then if we want to tip extra for superior service we can. I don't ever remember feeling that someond didn't earn their tip.
Old August 7th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

jeri:

It is customary to tip the suggested amount but it is up to you to tip whatever you feel comfortable with. No one will come after you, no matter what amount you tip.

Sascol:
It is also customary to tip the standard amount to the dining room staff for the full 10 days. They do have your place open for those nights and their workload is based on the total number of people they have allocated. Tipping in the alternative restaurants is entirely at your discretion. I would never tip if the butter was bitter unless they brought better butter because better butter is less bitter. <VBG> I hope you are doing well.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:51 PM
hcat

For the first time over all our xruises we did have a really lazy cabin steward..we did not want to but had to complain when he failed to make up the room & do the basics. His supervisor got things on track--at least to bare minimally acceptable levels so we gave him the basic minimal tip...having now heard tips are pooled that's all we will give in the future anyhow...
Old August 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I find it interesting that people are just now finding out the the tips are "pooled".. They have been doing this for years.. That is how all of the staff has money to send back home.. Even if a staff member is a poor worker he or she still need the tip money to send back to the family.. The pooled money is still theirs.... It's the other workers that will shape up the poor worker, not your tips.. Just enjoy your trip and put yout tips on your "sea" card and let the crew figure it out their way.. That's what will happen anyway.. Have fun..OM
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:15 AM
First Mate

Actually, it's not a "tip" at all, it's an additionally charge to cover labor costs. What it comes down to is the cruise lines pay these folks peanuts. They then expect the passengers to ante up X amount a day to cover the salary of the staff for services rendered, ie cleaning your room serving you meals. I would just prefer that the cruiselines were honest with us and raised the price of the cruise to cover the costs. Then, if I wanted to tip someone for providing excellent service it would really mean something. Not this fantasy that the cruise costs X but I have to lay out an additional $3.50 per day for this one and $3.00 per day for that one, and $0.50 per day for someone that I have never seen. Could you imagine taking your car in for service and being told that the cost for repairs was $25.00 but that you had to "tip" the mechanic $50.00?

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Karla

Default Re: tips "Numbers"

$10 per day per person for our cruise that comes to $50 extra a day, my husband and I and our three children 8, 10, 12. How many rooms does one attendent service? If he has 20 rooms at minimum two persons per room at $3.50 per person thats $140 a day and you say they work 12 hours a day that's about $11.50 an hour minimum. That's not guaranteed and can fluxtuate up or down but on average pretty close? $800 a 7 day week, $3200 a month, $35,000 a year. Health insurance? Dental? Vacation :-)? Do they pay taxes to any one country? In the midwest that is way above average wage with no college.
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Sascol

I'd be shocked if each attendant had as many 20 rooms. 10 rooms is the more than likely scenario. Don't know for sure though.