Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:05 PM
Sweetingegirl

Default Inside vs. balcony

We are going on our first cruise. Alaska to be in fact. Do you really need a room with a balcony, or will an inside room be just fine?
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Inside vs. balcony

I can never figure out why people would save $100 to be in an inside room. For pete sakes, you are on a cruise, you don't want windows? To me, the windors, balcony and view are peanuts for $100. Thank goodness enough people are willing to put up with inside rooms, their loss on my gain.
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

The scenery in Alaska is wonderful, get AT LEAST a window. Jimbo
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

A window or better yet, a balcony is the way to go in Alaska. Its just too beautiful to miss a thing. Sometimes it can be chilly and sitting on your balcony is just wonderful.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:22 AM
Yeoman

For an Alaskan cruise (or any other cruise), a balcony is so very worth it. Its a bit warmer than sitting up on deck since its sheltered more. We dont go any other way anymore-only balcony cabins. We love sitting out there during docking procedures, while our kids nap, on sea days, etc. We also like sleeping with the door open for the full effect of the ocean while underway. Ive been in an inside cabin once (company trip) and will never do it again. I never knew what the weather was like, the time of day, etc without walking up on deck. Now first thing I do in the morning is open the curtains and watch the sunrise. Get a balcony!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:54 AM
First Mate

I totally agree with a balcony. Although you can go up on deck, having a balcony is well worth the extra $$. We started with an ocean view and now choose balcony cabins. I like just sitting there taking it all in. The scenery is overwhelming at times. Friends just came back from Alaska and have raved about it so much that we definately are going to plan a cruise there. I'm sure this first cruise will not be your last, you really get addicted to cruising. I know we have!! Enjoy your cruise!!

Old August 1st, 2005, 10:47 AM
First Mate

I have done windows and balcany's and the next cruise in Novenber will be a "superior interior". We have done 6 cruises and plan many more in the future. Just wanted to know what an interior was like. We are taking a 2 week long repositioning curise from Barcelona, Spain to Galveston, Tx and with 9 of the 14 days at sea, this seemed like the time to try it. I know what the open sea looks like. If this was Alaska, Hawaii or other with pleanty of sights would most definitely have at least a window. Will probably never do an interior again, but can not recommend or not recommend and interior to friends and relatives if have never tried. Enjoy the window to Alaska

NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 9/21/14
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:04 AM
Yeoman

Alaska is best enjoyed by a balcony and if budget is a factor, I don't think Alaska is the one to skimp on. However, being a cruise junkie, I have been there a few times now so I'd say if you don't get one this time, save up for a balcony on your NEXT cruise up there!
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:11 AM
Ug

Default Re: Re: Inside vs. balcony

Bart?? $100. extra for a balcony?!?! What Cruise line offers that?? RCCL just looked for a 7 day, Inside cabin $609, Balcony $1169. My Math would say that's $560 ($1120 couple), you must have a different type of math where your from? ;-p
Probably don't know what a BUDGET is either?? ;-(
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Choose a veranda, you won't be sorry.

On our first cruise ever, we were upgraded to a suite with a veranda...now we are hooked! We can never go back ()

But especially on a cruise to Alaska you will appreciate a veranda for ALL the reasons listed by the previous posters!

Old August 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

I have had an inside outside and balcony cabins. In Alaska I had an outside back in 200 paid nearly $1500 for an outside per person. If I had the funds sure I would go for a balcony but then there are shire excursions like the train is about $100 per person then if you do a whale tour that is about $110 or more or do the helicopter which is at least $250. I have no problem taking an inside. Our cruise in Jan the PC we will have an inside.
Lexi
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:50 PM
gerif

Have never sailed in an inside, but have done several with windows (and once years back with a porthole). For our Alaska trip, we had booked a window but were upgraded at check-in to a balcony - realized then that it was absolutely essential on that trip. As a matter of fact, we now can't cruise without one - guess the cruiseline knew what they were doing.
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:05 PM
Passenger

I'm not sure where all the inside cabin fans are with this thread, but I know they are out there. However, I am not one and would not enjoy a cruise in an inside cabin. Like to relax sometimes in the room, enjoy the view, have room service on the balcony, etc. It's just worth it. Pack some booze from home and enjoy much cheaper cocktails before dinner on your balcony. That will offset some of the cost.
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:14 PM
bridget1

I did inside years ago and have always done windows since then. Last time I did a balcony and I would never, ever book anything but a balcony now. If I couldn't afford a balcony I wouldn't go until I could. I had a huge window for Alaska but I spent lots of time on deck watching it outside. A balcony would have been perfect.
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:29 PM
Doris Miller

I always choose the inside cabin. With the hundreds I save I will spend it on the next cruise! I sleep better in a very dark room also. I am the kind of person up and out of my room to enjoy the whole ship! If you spend lots of time in your room then it might be worth the $$$$$.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:05 AM
Passenger

I agree with Doris. For us the inside is fine. We like being around people to much. There are a lot of areas on the ship to sit and enjoy the scenery. Also gives us the extra money to do more cruising. Trust me one cruise is great, but you will want to do more.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
venice

IMO, since this is your first cruise and since the destination is Alaska, if it fits within your budget go for the balcony..If this was your first cruise and your destination was anywhere else, the rule of thumb is on a 7 day cruise (which is really 6), if you have as many sea days or more as port days, if it fits withing your budget, go for the balcony, if more port days, go inside..if you are on a smaller (under 1800) ship go for the inside, if you are on a larger ship, and it works within your budget, go balcony (to get away from the crowds)

If you are on a tight budget on your first cruise, go for the inside because it will free up your funds to do lots of shipboard activities and shore excursions and treat yourself to a massage

Of course the obvious, if you are claustrophobic, get a port hole or balcony..

IF after your first cruise, you think you will be cruising alot in the future, you might consider sticking with one cruise line to build up credits which will improve your chances of being considered for courtesy upgrades to a balcony

Have a great time, Alaska is an awesome choice for your first cruise
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

We've done them all. Of course a balcony is the best, but we're addicted, and couldn't afford to cruise as often as we do, if we only booked balconies. On longer cruises with fewer port days and more sea days, or an itinerary (Alaska/Hawaii) that would warrant it, we'll get the balcony. But if it's a shorter cruise with a port day almost every day or we've sailed there before, the inside is fine. One advantage to the inside (besides saving $) is that you do tend to spend more time out and about enjoying the rest of the ship. And the savings is certainly a lot more than $100 (not sure where that poster got his information). From what I've seen, the difference is more like $500 - $800PP between a balcony and an inside room.

Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Passenger

I agree....we are first time cruisers...booked on the Serenade in March out of San Juan. The extra money we are saving from booking an inside room will be spent during that trip or put towards our next years trip. I don't plan to be spending much time in our room.

However, if we were doing the Alaskan cruise I would probably pay the extra for a balcany or window. The cruise is suppose to be very scenic....
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I Will agree with cruisecrazy2 except for Alaska. Having it rain every day on my last Alaska cruise most people did not use their balcony's I usually book a balcony but got a unbelievable deal ($1500pp less)on an outside so I took it. I was so glad I did not waste my money on a balcony. In the end each person must judge for themselves what suits them. I had an inside in Bermuda and hated it, but guess what I just booked a 4 day RCI Majesty of the Seas inside?

Nile Romance Nile River 5/90
QE2 Transatlantic 8/95
Norwegian Crown Western Caribbean 4/97
Celebrity Zenith Panama Canal 04/98
Carnival Jubilee Southern Caribbean 03/99
Renaissance R3 Tahiti 11/99
Dawn Princess back to back Southern Caribbean 04/00
Norwegian Majesty Bermuda 09/00
Norwegian Wind Western Caribbean 12/03
Norwegian Spirit Southern Caribbean 12/03/04
Celebrity Horizon Western Caribbean 03/25/05
Coral Princess SB Alaska 6/18/05

Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
KimG

We booked an inside guarantee for our Alaska cruise. Sure, I would rather have a window. But for the $700/pp savings ($1400 overall) it did not seem to me that we would enjoy a balcony $200's worth each day. We have taken several cruises and are usually not in our cabins but to change and sleep anyway. Now we are going on every excursion we want without worrying about the cost.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

We are doign the PC in Jan and I have had a balcony on the last 2 cruises but I really want to do the PC but they only way to do was in an inside . The prices for an inside now are even pricy like about $1500 a piece I glad I got it when I did. Next year we will have a blacony for the Caribbean.
Lexi