Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:06 AM
Passenger

Default Luggage Locks

Hello-

I've heard horror stories about security going through luggage, breaking locks and all that fun stuff. I found locks on QVC that are combination locks that security has a special code that they can get in and out without breaking. Has anyone heard of them? Are they recommendable? My friend who was on a cruise in March said she didn't even lock her luggage and personally I'm not to thrilled with that route. Thanks!!!

Mariner of the Sea

Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Luggage Locks

Buy the TSA approved locks from QVC. (they have the little red TSA symbol on them)We have travelled with them twice now with no problems. TSA has "keys" that open them.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Passenger

What I do is get the little plastic cables that electricians use. They lock, but can be cut off, and if they do that they will put new ones on. I then carry locks and put them on when we are in a hotel or when getting on board ship. I also carry a pair of nail clippers in the outside pocket of my checked bag to use to cut them off when I want to. My carry on's I leave unlocked because they are with me. But carry extra locks to use on them also.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
papamike

Those TSA combination locks are available in stores from $6 to $10 each and you can set your own combination. No need to carry plastic cables and cutter. I used them last May to fly to Florida from NY and the locks were on the luggage. I then took the VOS from Miami back to Bayonne, NJ.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I bought locks at Brookstones that security can get into if needed plus they come in bright colors to make it easier to spot. Who would have thought that other people also had black suitcases??? We knew which one was ours because of the locks.

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Old August 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM
CaroleLeeW

I've used these locks on several airplane trips as well as a recent cruise. They are approved by the TSA. TSA agents have a code that allows them to open the lock not break it. Also try using space bags to pack. If your bag is searched everything stays in one place and multiple hands touch the bags not your clothes.
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I personally go with the cable ties. I haven't used a lock on my bags in 10 years and have traveled extensively. Locks keep honest people honest and that is the extent of it. Cable ties accomplish the same thing. If someone wants to get in your bag they can do it with a screwdriver or a knife in about the same time as you can open it with a combination.

Don't keep anything that is irreplaceable in your checked baggage and keep all valuables and medication in your carry-on.

TSA will cut the cable ties and replace it with a red tag. I can also bet that the codes the TSA uses have been leaked a long time ago.

You can buy them and they will keep the zippers together but it's an expensive alternative.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me