Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Karla

Default Unruly children??

We are sailing Andventure of the Seas at Easter next year. I've read many many reviews of our ship and one subject keeps popping up. Seems non-english speaking children were rude and wrecking havoc on a few cruises out of San Juan is this because of the large capacity of the ship and "filling up" cabins at low prices before sailing? I have three children (8, 10, 12) that are well behaved and I've spent my life making sure that they know their manners and will act accordingly in most situations. But, I get very impatient when others inpede my well being both physical and mental. I would hate to spend 10,000+ dollars on flights and cruise for our family to spend the week being upset about something I have little control over really.
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Unruly children??

Ok, here goes,
1st, Easter week is prime kid week. There will a ton(check with RCL guest services and they can tell you how many kids on board) As far as rude and unruly kids, they will not be limited to non English speaking kids. Adventure Ocean is a great help but...some parents feel that they are on vacation and shouldn't have to deal with their own kids. Be prepared... The Adventure is a big ship and it won't be just kids that get unruly. You are lucky that yours are well behaved. Also, understand that RCL has a great deck patrol that for the most part keeps the kids( and adults that have indulged too much) under control. Hang in there. Our kids are coming up on their 4th cruise and are still learning the ins and outs of cruising.
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Karla,
I think when you go the ship will be full anyway, lots of kids/families, etc. I wouldn't worry about any of the problems you mentioned.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:52 PM
CO

Default Re: Re: Unruly children??

You can run into the problem with unruly children anywhere. We did on the Sovereign while cruising on 4th of July. The table behind us at dinner was very unruly including the adults. One child was completely out of control every night even throwing a bucket full of crayons on our table hitting one of out family members. In one of the elevators I guess a child was in control of the elevator because when my wife went to push the button for our floor the child hit my wife on the arm. The parent did nothing to the child. My wife had a few choice words about the situation to them before we exited the elevator. We have two children but they know better than to act like those two did. These problems happen anywhere. Seems like some parents are too lazy to discipline. Just try to enjoy your cruise.
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:10 PM
hcat

Sorry to respectfully disagree with those who say not to worry....but we went last Easter on Brilliance from Miami. We miscalculated the date & found ourselves in a high priced cabin on a beautiful ship with children of all ages running amuk....There were many non Eng speaking (on purpose) large families with rude adults & children who not enrolled in the program. Excuse me is not a hard word to use! The older children were assigned to watch the younger ones & didn't do much to control them. . In other cases parents (the drinkers & partiers) just let children roam freely & they were not enrolled in any programs or supervised. Around noon one day my husb overheard One Dad tell his child (around7or 8)--so I'll see you back at the cabin around 5. The children tied up the elevators all day & night so you could not really depend on them, they ran up & down stairways, monopolized the hot tubs poured chocolate over the rail into the atrium on the art auction. They damaged the elephants in the adult only pool where their uncaring parents sat nearby & you could not leave room service cards or breakfast card out becuase they were mixing them up...Other parents felt their children were the most special & had them sing with the entertainer in the centurm each night as part of the show & had them dancing & running all over the dance floors so others really could not enjoy themselves.....The best escape were the specialty rest..but even there they allowed children before a certain hour--& these are long meals to expect children to sit thorough. There was no supervision or enforcement of rules by the cruise line whihc we found surprising but I think they were just overwheelemd by it all!
Yes there were many nice folks with great kids on the ship who we socialized with,, but leaving from Miami at this time of yr is not something we would ever repeat--the marketing is geared a certain way & we had no idea how unpleasant that could be. Rap music blared from the PA is not something we enjoy hearing throughout the trip. We are not old grouchy people but it was a bit too much. Yes we had a great trip --great ship , nice cabin, & great itin, good food, ) but had to avoid all the little pests & their noisy kin! We will NEVER make the same mistake again. We will give Royal another chance at a diff time of the year to see if that is better for us as we have in the past enjoyed cruisng with them
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Mariner a few weeks ago. There were about 100 hispanic girls there were a tour group that catered to girls from12-17 years old. Most of the older girls were very rude and their tour leaders were no where in site. Many of the cruisers with us also complained to any one who would listen but not much could be done. My son who is 17 was at the teen disco and also said most of the girls were very rude and obnoxious but he managed to find the ones who were very nice and polite to hang out with during the cruise. It was a shame that we had to encounter this but we did not let it ruin our cruise. Seek out the adult only areas if you are trying to escape unruly kids. I can only hope that my 2 kids (17 & 8) were not one of them and if someone told me one of my kids was being rude to a fellow passanger, he would get a tongue lashing from me and a suitable punishment to make it up to the offended passanger. A vacation from home does not mean manners are left at home too.

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:10 AM
First Mate

This subject was discussed a while back. Here is my experience while being on the Grandeur on spring break week. We had problems with our toilet in our room because "kids" in the upper deck were putting bunches of toilet paper in the toilets. Kids were running through the halls late at night and banging on doors. College age "children" piled deck chairs high in the air while we went in the pool. When asked why they did it they said 'they had nothing better to do". Needless to say we will NEVER book when it is spring break time.

The rudeness doesn't come only from children. We encountered four older adults who were so obnoxious that we changed our dining time on our last Princess cruise. They thought they were the only ones that were on the ship. The waiters catered to their every breath!!! They left their manners, if they have any, at home.

Our experience in '02 on the AOS was one that I could write a book about. I vowed I would never go out of Puerto Rico again. Rudeness was everywhere!! Excuse me and pardon me or a nod of the head (for those that don't speak the language) would do when someone rips off your shoe going up the steps!! However the lady didn't even blink!!

So unruly children yes but there is no excuse for poor manners. They should be taught when we are young and by our first teachers our parents. Hopefully you will have a great cruise. Let us know :-)

Old August 8th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS

Talk about unruly children? How about an adult male who got on the glass elevator and mooned everybody all the way to the top floor. I was going to turn him in but they all look the same to me!!

Old August 8th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've been one several cruise when school was out...sorry but the children were wild and uncontrolled!!!

The ship was beautiful, our cabin perfect, the food excellent, the children from another planet!!!!

We will NEVER book a cruise during a holiday, spring break or school vacation time! It was a nightmare.

Your children may be well behaved, but for your own comfort and pleasure...try and book when there will be less children.

Old August 8th, 2005, 12:29 PM
David1

I am sure the flame throwers will come out, but here goes: I know a lot of posters say it isn't only the kids that get on in San Jaun , but I can say that the biggest majority of the kids that were rude and unruly when I went on AOS May 05 were of this group. But I will say that the Majority of children didn't misbehave. You will have to be tolerant and have patience. I did get up several times at the pool and find pool guard and asked him to tell the Puerto-Rican kids to stop running and jumping in pool and turning flips and splashing people while their parent sit and thought it was cute. But any cruise is a great cruise if you get in the right frame of mind.
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Glenn Comunale

Hey Dave 1 You got your asbestos suit on? I believe the correct phase is Hispanic,or Latin American children.
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:03 AM
First Mate

Hey Glenn ... Who cares what "The Correct" phrase is?

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old August 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM
hydro-terp

How does that old saying go???

...Spare the rod and spoil the child.

What kind of hell must it be for the stewards and waiters etc.

Just think when you get older these will be the ones looking after you in your old age. Maybe its time to take up smoking again.
Old August 9th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

When I sailed on Voyager last year, many foreign children were the best behaved in any public areas.

The good ole "American Kids"? Hmph. Some of them weren't so innocent. Riding the elevators up and down while looking high and talking loud AND WITH YOU ON THEM! One kid looked so high my husband was disgusted. Screaming at their parents over dinner to the point where one dad looked like he wanted a vacation from his vacation. (That sure made the midnight buffet fun!).

Unruly children come in every category, make-up and from every location, because their parents do. I'm fascinated that people are actually highlighting the racial makeup of the kids as though that equates for the rudeness of the children. I won't tell you why.. ..

Oh heck yes I will. Try being around the Veruca Salt clones I live around!

*shudders as she thinks about the bratty "DAD-DY! I WANT MORE! I WANT THIS! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? " whiners she has seen......not to mention the proclivity for putting 8 year olds into strollers while their feet drag on the ground.............*

Voyager of the Seas to Bermuda

May 2004 Voyager of the Seas to Canada
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Jordan

Hi Karla!

I went on the Adventure of the Seas in June of 2004. There were a lot of spanish-speaking families on the ship celebrating their daughters' 15th birthday. I mean, there were multiple familes and each family had at least 30 people. It's something that happens in the Latin culture when a girl turns 15.

Other than not being able to understand them, they weren't that rude.

The ship is amazing. It was the best week of my life. Your kids will LOVE it.

Old August 9th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Passenger

We were on the Radiance of the Seas back in november...my daughter and nieces were having a wonderful time in the teen club...until the third day..2 girls had arrived on the ship late because there parents missed the ship(that should be your first tip off lol) and I dont know why but they decided that they would torment my daughter and nieces..they informed us of the situation and we went immediatly to the front desk and talked to someone in charge and they immediatly rectified the situation and those girls werent allowed to return...because they were asked if they would behave if they were allowed to return..and they said "nope..dont think so"...of course never heard from the parents..and the kicker was they stayed in the cabin across from ours...but all in all our girls went back to enjoying themselves...I believe it all depends on the upbring too...you would have thought that the parents would have gotten involved but I guess they were on vacation from there kids too...
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM
David1

Just a reply: For Glen Cumnale: If you are from a certain country You are referred to as being from that country: Sure as "some" Arab are linked to suicide bombing, Africans are called Africans? No racial intent. As you can see I said that most of the children were well behaved .
As for Just4Kain :I didn't say that the "White American Children" didn't misbehave> I thought all people born on American soil were American, Including those born on Amerian soil, such as San Juan . Enough said> She was wondering about unruly children. I tried to given an honest accessment. Get over it.
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

David:

I never mentioned anything about "white" this that or the other in my post. I didn't even highlight any one particular poster. But since you responded to me directly, and seemingly in annoyance( )...

You are the one who said:

"I did get up several times at the pool and find pool guard and asked him to tell the Puerto-Rican kids to stop running and jumping in pool and turning flips and splashing people while their parent sit and thought it was cute. " Did it matter that they were Puerto Rican kids, or that they were unruly? I would think the fact that they were unruly would be the thing I remembered the most.

I am the one who said:

"Unruly children come in every category, make-up and from every location, because their parents do. I'm fascinated that people are actually highlighting the racial makeup of the kids as though that equates for the rudeness of the children."

It seems to me that the initial post requested information about the perceived rudeness of "non-English speaking" children. I'm sure there are native Spanish speakers that are rude, as there are rude folks that come in every language. The problem with unruly children isn't their geographical ancestral location, it's with poor parenting. There's a bad apple in every bunch of people, and there are good ones as well! If there are kids acting up to the detriment of the rest of the passengers, they need to be attended to, and I don't care what language they're speaking.

And PS: I would get over it, but seeing as I'm an African American woman married to a loving Russian/Irishman American with just about every ethnic makeup of people in my immediate and extended family, including my bi-racial siblings, seems I'm over and beyond it. *shrug* I can appreciate that rudeness comes in many forms, as do nice people.

Would that the rest of the world was the same.

PPS: It's Just4KIAN!

Have a blessed day!

Post Edited (08-11-05 06:09)

Voyager of the Seas to Bermuda

May 2004 Voyager of the Seas to Canada
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

It would seem that if you are sailing on the mass market lines you will have a lot of children on board in the summer season as well as the various holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter etc. and school break. Our sailing window is late winter when it seems fewer children will be onboard. It is not that we don't like children, we just prefer to cruise when there are fewer of them onboard. Given the low price of cruising more children get a chance to go on a cruise. It is an opportunity that was simply out of reach for many of us when we were growing up. It is a shame to see a minority of children (and their parents) abuse this opportunity. We toured the childrens' area on Voyager, it is amazing what the lines are trying to do for the young cruisers. We were very impressed.

For the OP I am sure your children (and you) will have a great time. Yes, there will be a lot of locals on your cruise. Will this adversley affect your cruise...I don't think so. I'd be willing to bet a rich diversity of cultures on board just might enhance your family's cruise experience. Have a great cruise!
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:13 PM
bigcraig

We were on Voyager a couple of years ago, and the unruly kids, seemed like Europeans or PR's were running around the promenade area with there pants falling off(no underwear on) while there buddies were pickpocketing, I know-they tried to get mine. Security could not(or would not) understand what we were trying to tell them, good thing I got in one dusty roads on one of them.