Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Snicky

Default Monarch of the Seas

We will be first-time cruisers next July and are taking the Monarch of the Seas. Our cabin is on Deck 6 Oceanview. Is that a good location and what can we expect as far as packing clothes, etc.? Totally green to all of this so any info will help.
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Monarch of the Seas

I just sailed the Monarch this July with my sister for a 3 day weekend and we were on Deck 6, first oceanview cabin forward!! 6008. Just don't get moved to deck 7 because people walk by your window. Deck 6 was nice, when you walk to the elevator, there are stairs to go either up or down 1/2 way like a tri-level house. We enjoyed our cruise but be warned the cabins are very small with bolsters by the beds that move up for sleeping but I still felt cramped at night. The beds were in configured in an L which gave us more room and there was plenty of storage for 2 people. No counter space in the bathroom so we kept our toiletries in our bags on a shelf underneath. There is 1 formal night and the others are casual. I didn't see any gowns or tuxes just suits, cocktail dresses, sun dresses or pantsuits (me). You can see pictures in the photo gallery by Harry Martin...very helpful.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Snicky

Thanks for the information. We are in #6002 which the TA assures us is oceanview -- but on the deck plans it shows "obstructed view". Also, ours looks like it is smaller than cabin 6008. It faces forward which I hope will be a good view.
Is the formal night optional? Did you book any shore trips online or wait until you got to the ship?
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Admiral

According to www.RoyalCaribbean.com as of May 2006 they are reclassifying your cabin from an F to an I category and it does say it is obstructed. You are looking out the front of the ship and if I remember correctly there is something up there. It could be a very large window ledge like we had even though we did have a window. I don't think your cabin is smaller just a different configuration. It says they are 122 sq ft compared to the 174 sq ft cabins on Carnival. You are talking 11 months away so I would call back and change your booking to an F1 cabin closer to the elevators or a F1 GUARANTEE and most likely you could get an upgrade but refuse anything on deck 7 because it does have an outside walkway. I hope this helps. Please ask if you have more questions.
Teresa

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old August 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

When are you going in July? I'll be on the July 10th sailing. We're on deck 6, too.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old August 19th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Snicky

Default Re: Re: Monarch of the Seas

Do I get the F1 category confirmation from my travel agent? I had checked back with him when I saw the new configuration that said ours is obstructed -- and he was adamant that it's not. I don't want to make a scene -- but this landlubber needs to make sure our first cruise has a good view of the ocean.
Thanks for the advice about Deck 7. I'll alert the rest of our group that is booking. So far we are on Deck 8, Deck 6 and Deck 2 -- pretty spread out, but we will be a pretty big group.
Old August 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Snicky

Default Re: Re: Monarch of the Seas

How cool that you are going in July also. Our cruise doesn't leave until July 31st, returning August 4th. Since you are going earlier than we are and are on the same deck we are -- let me know how things went and any good tips we should know about.
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Snicky,
I am looking at RCI's website at Deck 6 and it specifically says in italic...
Did you look at the website or in the brochure?

Please note: All Category I staterooms have an obstructed view. It's in black and white!!!

If he is getting adamant then he is just trying to save a booking. If you can cancel with him without penalty then book it with someone else. You can always call RCI also to find out for sure.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old August 19th, 2005, 09:49 PM
bridget1

Of course she can cancel without a penalty at this point. Tell your TA he is working for you and this is what you want to do. You aren't causing a scene. It's your vacation. Be happy. And 122 sq ft is small.
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Some TAs have a $50-100 non refundable deposit penalty.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old September 6th, 2005, 10:16 PM
superkid

I'm going on the Monarch on 4/24/06 the same day i will be turning 22

Paradise 2005
Monarch 2006
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Passenger

Just came off the Monarch. It was wonderful. They have new menus in the dining room and everyone tried to make it seem like a larger cruise ship. One of the tricks to make the bed seem bigger is to move your bed out from the wall about 4 inches. My DH was doing it and I said to him that I hated the beds because I was always trying to sleep under that bolster even though we had raised them. The beds move very easily, just slide them out. It makes such a difference and I was able to enjoy my night's sleep. This was out third trip on the Monarch. We live in LA and when they have a happy hour special we take advantage of it. My DH was not so happy that I had booked this cruise because he thought the ship was tired, but he keeps telling our friends that they should book this cruise because it was so great.
I don't know about the outside cabins because we cruise a lot and inside is where we stay so we can cruise more. If I find a great balcony price, I will book it. Enjoy your cruise, remember to have fun!
Old September 8th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Michelle, great info you gave.

I just wanted to confirm that I submitted to Anne a 1500 word article about my experiences on the Monarch (been 3 times), so it should be up in 7-10 days, with lots of photos.

Just wanted to let you all know it.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!