Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:41 PM
hcat

Default walkie talkies

Have never been a fan of cell phones etc.. or folks who use walkie talkies on board but for security reasons I am re-considering --has anyone used them & do they work.? What should you look fior when you buy them--guess I would look at Radio Shack or similar store... I would just want it when husb & I are each doing sep. activiies or maybe if I turn in earlier while he enjoys a cigar?
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2005, 05:49 PM
dbreyan

Default Re: walkie talkies

We used walkie talkies for our kids on our cruise in Feb 05. They worked fine on the ship and would have worked better if they took them with them instead of leaving them in the room.
We bought ours at Best Buy
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Passenger

Got ours at Target the 6 mile range, Uniden, they worked great. Even worked ship to shore in some places
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

We brought our walkie talkies on the ship and they worked great for the first couple of days. After that they became a pain to remember to bring with us. After that I resorted to an old fashion method......left a note on the dresser counter where we were and what time everyone should meet back in the room.

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:01 AM
mikefast

We bought a pair of Uniden, about six mile range, and we like to use them. It is best if you get the ones that have personal codes to use, otherwise they are always noisy. Have to remember though that it is illegal to use the more powerful ones on certain channels without a license. Whether you would really get into trouble or not I can't say.

Old August 14th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Dan P

They are great for if you sleep in and your partner goes for coffee to page them and tell them to bring you coffee.It is your in room coffe service.
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:15 PM
browezilla

Yep, they work very well. The only times we've had problems is if we are separated by a lot of ship decks. The metal causes absorbs the signal. The long range ones (6Miles or so) are great for one party going ashore and the other staying on board. Things to look for: long distance, multiple channels (others will have them too), good speaker volume, high frequencies.
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:11 PM
hcat

Thanks for all the quick & helpful responses...guess we will look for small size in the permissible range...just never know how useful they might be--I like the idea about the coffee!