Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
George S

Default Putting Luggage Out

Hi All,
I don't know where I got this from but I was always under the impression that you had to put your luggage outside your door at the end of the cruise.
Disembarking the Explorer last week, there were 8 people in line at US Immigration in front of me and every one of them was pulling there huge suitcases. I guess its no big deal but it just surprised me. I'd NEVER consider doing it. Any time I get to spend away from those darn suitcases is a pleasure!
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:33 PM
gerif

Default Re: Putting Luggage Out

At some ports you are permitted to take your luggage off the ship with you - not allowed at all ports (e.g., Bayonne). I have enough trouble carrying my carry-on stuff around with me that morning.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Yeoman

I let them carry the luggage on for me, but I carry my own off. On some ships, if you carry your own luggage off, you don't have to wait for your color tag to be called. It is just easier, and I don't want to wait around half a day to get my luggage.

Carnival Liberty
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
First Mate

Hi George,
Look at the last message on "the Long Wait has Begun"
Thanks.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:14 PM
hcat

If you carry it off you know you will have it with you when it's time to go--I wish we could do it--will try on our next trip that is from Seattle--It may be bulky but no luggage horror stories!
Old September 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Honey

We gave the ship our request for early disembarkment because we had any early flight to catch. This allowed us to wheel our own luggage off the ship and to be the first group off the ship. We did NOT leave our luggage outside. Other passengers who were not in a hurray to disembark did the usual tag and pick up luggage routine.
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Cruzdiver

What have you found to be the best way to mark the luggage so you can spot it quickly when you get off the ship? I thought of making huge pom poms to affix to the large black suitcase everyone has.

Shelli

Legend of the Seas November 12th 2005
Enchantment of the seas June 21, 2004

<a href='http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm117YY
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:37 PM
hcat

Does anyone know if you can carry off your luggage in Seattle? Despite bright colored tags I once had someone wheeling away one of our bags & he really gave me a hard time--did not want to stop to even discuss it! That was in NYC--really a madhouse. Also had one stray bag lost for a long time in Miami. No one would pay any attention to us although all toher bags of later colors had come out & were already claimed. & it looked fairly hopeless for awhile--then someone finally helped us out--If I can carry off my luggage I will definitely do it!
Old September 10th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Honey

Pom poms might work...only saw one piece of luggage at the airport using this. I used flourescent ribbon but too many other people were doing this too!
Old September 11th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Passenger

I bought some luggage in Hawaii -- big white flowers on a red background. The suitcases were very easy to spot. My friends and family thought the suitcases to be a bit loud but I don't care. I spotted them immediately!
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: POM POMS

I bought some flourescent color bath scrubbers at the dollar store and but them on my luggage. My husband thought I was nuts and said "I'm not going go carry our luggage with those things on them" But he did and it was really easy to pick out our luggage from all the others. My sister also used bright color scarfs and tied them on hers I've also seen bright color tape in an "X" on others. What ever you use, it will surely help you finding your luggage among the others.[/b]
Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old September 15th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default Re: RE: POM POMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzfever
I bought some flourescent color bath scrubbers at the dollar store and but them on my luggage. My husband thought I was nuts and said "I'm not going go carry our luggage with those things on them" But he did and it was really easy to pick out our luggage from all the others. My sister also used bright color scarfs and tied them on hers I've also seen bright color tape in an "X" on others. What ever you use, it will surely help you finding your luggage among the others.[/b]
I have tried them all and used comibnations of color tape in "R" with pom-poms on handles (put them on both handles).I wish I had one of those locater things that give off a signal, that I could put in each piece of my luggage, then I could track it all the time.
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Passenger

I have several things on mine to help me find them quick. But NO WAY am I going to drag the big bags off myself. I have enough to handle with my carry on and purse and camera bag. I've seem people do it, but not for me.
Old September 18th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Cruzdiver

Oh I have no inyentions of carrying ours off either. Hubby already has to carry his dive bag and I the camera cases and shopping bags and purse.
If I had to spend hours looking for our luggage I'd rather do that. .

I know when we cruised last year everyone had the same big black rolling bag that we had (at least everyone with our same color departure tags) I know it left with someone else at ione point and then it came back because I was once standing in the same exact spot (pulling my hair out) and it just magically appeared later there! I will figure out something to make it more noticable this go around.

i like the scarf idea, maybe better than pompoms. Thanks for the suggestion!

Shelli

Legend of the Seas November 12th 2005
Enchantment of the seas June 21, 2004

<a href='http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm117YY
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Some lines (e.g. Carnival) will let you off the ship first thing if you take your luggage off of the ship yourself.

It is always a good idea to read the cruise lines responsibility for your bag should it get lost. It usually is minimal, if you can get them to accept any responsibility (e.g. you may have to prove they had possession of it) It can easily be picked up by other passengers during the night. Just a thought as to why some folks wheel their own luggage off.
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:02 AM
Captain

A humorous story about putting luggage out.....

When we returned from Hawaii on Princess, I overheard one side of a conversation as we were standing near the passenger service counter. The woman was saying "No Ma'am, it's impossible. I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do". After she hung up, she told her associate about the problem. Seems a passenger had packed the bags for both she and her husband, and put them out at night. Unfortunately, she packed all his clothes, and he was standing there in his underwear. The woman wanted someone to get their bags back and deliver them to the cabin. Yeah, like they can find her two black bags among the thousands sitting at baggage claim.

Well, in the end, they solved the problem. They got the guy a rental tux and let him wear it off the ship. I guess when they found their bags, he went somewhere and changed.
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Funny, Pootersdad!

I've never worried about putting our bags out the night before. I think there are security cameras in all the hallways, so security would see (or be able to look back and see) a person take a bag.

The thing I've been concerned about is someone putting something IN one of the many pockets of my luggage. Next cruise I'll put cable ties on all the pockets .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014