Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Default Venice and Greece - Advice Needed

Hello,

I just booked a 7-day cruise on Royal Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas for October 15, 2006.

The itinerary is: Venice, Italy; Athens, Greece; Mikonos, Greece; Rhodes, Greece; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Venice, Italy

My wife and I are going to arrive in Venice two days before and leave one day after the cruise from Venice.

I would greatly appreciate any advise on what to see and do on the ship and shore excursions. This is only my second cruise ever. The last one was five years ago in the Caribbean.

Thanks in advance for you help,
Bert
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Venice and Greece - Advice Needed

I should also say my wife and I are in our mid 30's and we do not mind walking.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:36 PM
venice

Oh God, you are in for a dream cruise and Venice is my favorite city on God's earth and Santorini is my favorite island on God's water..so much to say...but to play it safe, I would suggest contacting Hemisphere Magazine website (they do the inflight magazine for United Airlines) and ask for a copy of the article "3 Perfect Days in Venice", which gives you great insight into the "real" Venice..then borrow or purchase a DVD from either Rick Steves or, Rudy Maxa from the PBS website, which again gives you an "inside" perspective of Venice. Have you made your pre cruise hotel reservations yet ? If no I'm sure many CM'er's can give you great advise but my suggestion is to try to find one off the beaten path..

final suggestion, walking is a big deal in Venice and the streets are cobble stone and uneven, so make sure you have comfortable shoes (sneakers) and all your luggage have wheels on them..Ocotber is a great month, you should miss the crowds and the rain, but it could be alittle cool at night

If I can remember the website that has all the events going on by month I will e-mail it to you. If you remember and can place in your follow up, my GF and I are planning to go to Venice (she has never been there) around April 11th (in conjunction with doing a Peter Deilmann River Boat cruise on April 15th..we are riding the train from Venice to Lyon) so contact me around the end of March or when we return at the end of May and I can give you some additional information

you'll love all your ports, Mykonos has great windmills and nude beaches (I didn't tell my GF about the beaches)
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the advice. I definetly want to hear about your trip. I tried the Three Perfect Days in Venice but found everything but that. Are you sure there is one for Venice?
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM
venice

yep, it's real old. I'll see if I have my copy and if I do, I'll e-mail you privately and arrange to either mail or fax it to you...I'm envious, of all the places that I have cruised in the world, that area was my favorite and cruising out of Venice is one of those life time memories..but then again I may be a "tad" bias (VBG)
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Passenger

Thanks for looking but I was ablt to find the article on their web site! I think it will be very helpful. Now all I need to figure out is where to stay.

I posted the same question under the Europe forum but havn't gotten any hits

But it's only been a day or two. I just have to be patient and wait for you to return from your trip to Venice.
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:17 PM
venice

I am looking at staying at the Lacender Hotel in Venice (have not stayed there before-forgot where I stayed in 2002) , but they have great reviews..
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Passenger

October in Venice is perfect. While there, check out the Doges Palace, St. Marks Square and of course take a Moonlight Gondola Serenade. We happened to be there for a full moon. Talk about romantic. Stop in one of the Glass blowing places.
Mikonos - we just got off and walked the neat little streets, then find a place to sit down and have a drink and bite to eat right on the waterfront. Loved it.
And Athens, climb the Acropolis. The view is wonderful, and the ruins..... the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, and Propylaea and the temple of Nike are must see. But you would not want to miss it. And if you have time, take a walk thru the Agora (ancient market place), now narrow streets and many little shops and places to eat.
O.K., Senior Moment - I can't remember what we did on Rhodes. If I remember, I'll be back.......
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:20 PM
First Mate

On our med cruise, we took an excursion to the island of Delios (sp?) while in Mykonos.
If you are really into Greek Mythology -- it's the birthplace of Apollo, I think -- it's very interesting, excavations and so forth. I often forget details of many of the places I've traveled, but Delios sticks in my mind. It's also fit my vision of a '"Greek" island, arid, surrounded by the most beautiful deep blue waters. Unfortunately, taking the excursion meant we didn't get to do more than walk through Mykonos, although, frankly, I don't know what else there is to do there, except to have lunch and watch the locals on the sea shore.

In Dubrovnik, take a walking tour, or just do it on your own. We ended up on a walking tour of the old city -- not much to it -- and then a bus trip to a coastal town, pretty, but could have saved the $$ and just walked Dubrovnik on our own and been just as happy. Others have mentioned the sites in Athens, and Venice. Beware the cafe's around St. Marks, where the wonderful musicians play -- they charge just to sit at one of the tables, and to order? $$$$

You are in for a truly wonderful trip. Enjoy!
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Passenger

ty sunbird and jaxon for the great info.

jaxon,

Tell me more about getting charged to sit down!!!!! I can understand the drinks and snacks being expensive but just to sit you get charged. How does that work?

Say my wife and I sit down to have a coffee...the bill comes and we get a charge for the coffees and a sitting fee? How much is the sitting fee? Do they tell you before hand?

Bert
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Passenger

I think the point is that you can not just sit down and people watch. You do have to order something to drink and or snack on. Just do a coffee and maybe a danish or something.
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Passenger

Here is a must see in Athens......