Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Silver2Champagne

Default Age questions on RCI

Hey all! I've been able to find answers to most of my questions, except for these. I'd be incredibly thankful for any help. I know the policy on Carnival is, at least one person in the room must be 25, is Royal Caribbean the same? I'm 20, and my fiance is 24. (Let's just say, I'm mature for my age, and he's immature for his age, it all works out. ) How strict is RCI on the whole drinking age? I know you get your seapass punched once for 18-20, for purchasing wine and beer (with a parent's waiver), but what about mixed drinks? I enjoy a glass of wine now and again, but what if I wanted a margarita? Would my fiance be able to purchase it for me? I'm not trying to have a huge debate started about under age drinking in the US, or at ports, or anything of the sort. It's just that RCI's website is not exactly clear.
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Age questions on RCI

Effective July 1, anyone under the age of 21 must be booked in a room with one adult over the age of 21. according to RCCL website.
Alcohol, 21 or older, beer and wine 18 and older. All alcoholic beverages 21 and older in Alaskan waters.
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Emm

Yes, you need at least one person 25 or older in the cabin with you if you are under 21. Unless you are married and can show the marriage license, you might have to look for another cruise line, unless you take mom with you.
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Yeoman

This was taken from the RCCL website;

"Can unaccompanied minors cruise?
Effective July 1, 2005 guests under the age of 21 must be booked in a stateroom with an adult who is 21 years or older. A parent or legal guardian must accompany guests under the age of 18 and must be booked in the same or adjacent stateroom. Acceptable proof will be required. These restrictions may be waived at our discretion where applicable."

Post Edited (08-24-05 20:56)

Carnival Liberty
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Silver2Champagne

since I am under 21, and he is over 21, wouldn't that apply to their rules?

S2C
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Silver2,

fitzla's quote from RCI is correct, so I don't think you'd have any problem booking a cruise together.

As for buying drinks, they will ask for your card when you order and will not serve you anything but wine and beer. I haven't cruised on RCI (yet!), but on our other cruises I have seen an older person buy a drink and then discreetly hand it to someone else. If you want a margarita, you could have your fiance go up to the bar and order it and then give it to you. They might or might not sell him two at a time.

Have a great cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Silver2Champagne

Thanks, fern. I'm really looking forward to it, especially after seeing Dry Dock, and seeing it with a make-over. I'm guessing if we go up to the bar (or where ever) and place our orders, and he uses his card to pay for it, no one will care. Or I could just be the lazy one being waited on by my adoring fiance, no one will know the difference. I look about 25 instead of 20, so I doubt we'll have too much trouble. (sometimes I love being 5'11")

I just want things confirmed so there are no surprises (no bad surprises..good surprises are okay!!) once we get on-board.

obviously it's my first cruise,
S2C

Sovereign of the Seas
(Bahamas here I come!!!!!!!!!)
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Age questions on RCI

I guess it comes down to how strict RCI's drinking and serving policy is, and it's up to each individual bartender. It's possible they may rely on that Seapass card - maybe when they scan it, it automatically alerts to the bartender that you are over/under 21.
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Silver,
I think by now you know it will be okay to book the cruise because one of you is over 21. They do allow drinking beer and wine for 18-20 y/o but that is with a parent's signature on a waiver so you might not be able to even do that. I think if you are discreet about it and your fiance buys a drink then hands it to you no one will bother you.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Emm

I stand corrected re: the age,

But want to let you know one thing -- We took a 20 year old with our family, and he was not allowed to board until we had written authorization from his parent for emergency medical service. This was not stated anywhere on the website -- so we were unprepared. We were able to do this via fax, but had she not been available that day , we would have been in some trouble.
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Silver2Champagne

Thanks, Emm! Definately good to know, but my mother will actually be on the same cruise (different room). We've sort of turned it into a family thing....kind of. My mom is coming with one of her friends, as well as my brother coming with a lady friend of his. We plan on all eating dinner together, and then going about our seperate ways. Luckily, parental authorization won't be an issue.

What I don't understand, is if he was 20 yrs. old, he's legally an adult, why did they need parents' authorization? That's rediculous! Oh well...who ever said life has to make sense?

~S2C

Sovereign of the Seas
Old August 26th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Gee I wonder what they would have done had his parents been dead?

At 18 you are an adult, why anyone at that age or older needs anything signed by a parent is simply amazing. That goes along with saying that you can have beer and wine at 18, but not liquor, like there is some difference.

Cheers,
Peter

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:16 PM
gerif

"At 18 you are an adult, why anyone at that age or older needs anything signed by a parent is simply amazing. That goes along with saying that you can have beer and wine at 18, but not liquor, like there is some difference."

In what country? While I realize the cruise ships do not have to follow the laws of any particular country, in the U.S. you are not an adult at 18. Just try renting a car at 18. In most states, you cannot walk into a bar and order a drink - not even beer or wine. In fact, if you are cruising Alaska, you may NOT have beer or wine at 18 even if your parent signs for it.
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Familiar Face

But, you can vote & smoke at the age of 18.
Old August 28th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Captain

For the cruiseline to require a parent's authorization for medical care for a 20 year old is a bit ridiculous. I would bet that this was an overzealous boarding agent who was confused about RCCL's rules (hence the reason why it isn't mentioned on their website). A 20 year old may not be able to drink in the U.S., but they can certainly authorize their own medical care in the U.S. and in any country that I can think of that a cruiseship would be visiting.

Anyway, back to the original question about alcohol. I don't have personal experience on RCCL, but on Princess I had no trouble buying alcohol for my 18 year old nephew. The bartenders knew that I was doing this and they didn't care as long as they were technically serving me and not him. I would guess that RCCL is probably close to the same and even if they don't allow you to be so open about it, it shouldn't be too difficult to do if you are discrete.
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

I have to disagree with gerif's statement......"While I realize the cruise ships do not have to follow the laws of any particular country, in the U.S. you are not an adult at 18."

The fact is...in the U.S....YES...you are an adult at 18. At 18, you can marry, you can vote, you can get medical/emergency treatment, you can smoke, you can join the military, you can sign contracts, and if you break the law you are charged as an "adult".
At 18 you are 100% responsible for anything you do.
The ONLY thing you can't do at 18 is drink. (Renting cars...don't know much about that... except....when my 19 yr old daughter's car got hit (buy a drunk driver no less), she was able to rent a car in her name. We did not have to rent it under my or my husband's name.)

As far as RCCL asking Emm for parental authorization for a 20 yr old to board the ship...hmmm...not sure where that checkin agent got his/her info. How long ago was that? I've taken several of my daughter's friends on cruises with us and as long as they were over 18, the only thing I had to sign was a waiver allowing them to purchase the beer or wine. I even had letters from the parents just in case RCCL asked for them, but I was told that wasn't even necessary. I'M the one on the ship with them, so they wanted MY permission as I would be the one responsible for them should they do anything wrong.

Post Edited (08-28-05 16:16)
PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Emm

This was on the Brilliance late June -- it wasnt authorization to drink, but that someone needed medical emergency consent.

The check in agent asked if we were his parents, then they got the head of the check in, and eventually the chief pursar. SInce it went this high, I'm sure it was just not a misinformed check in agent. this had nothing to do with purchase of liquor, as 18 year olds can drink on European itineraries.
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:22 PM
rocky2

You can rent a car from Enterprise at 18 but you just have to pay a "minor fee", about $20 extra.
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:07 PM
First Mate

[q]You can rent a car from Enterprise at 18 but you just have to pay a "minor fee", about $20 extra[/q]
As a matter of fact, it was Enterprise that my daughter rented the car, but we didn't have to pay the "minor fee". Possibly because it was covered by our insurance??

[q]This was on the Brilliance late June -- it wasnt authorization to drink, but that someone needed medical emergency consent.

The check in agent asked if we were his parents, then they got the head of the check in, and eventually the chief pursar. SInce it went this high, I'm sure it was just not a misinformed check in agent. this had nothing to do with purchase of liquor, as 18 year olds can drink on European itineraries.[/q]

Maybe it had something to do with it being a European itinerary? I just know that I never had to show any authorization for medical treatment for any of my daughters' friends.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: Age questions on RCI

When renting a car for normal reasons, most car companies will only rent to people 25 years of age and older. Many will rent to 21 and over, but there's a hefty fee involved. Very few ever rent to those under 21 years old.

Because you were renting the car thru your insurance company, the ins. co. probably has a deal or understanding with the car rental place concerning drivers under 25. After all, a small portion of your premium goes towards car rental in the event your car is disabled; if you were paying it but couldn't use it, then what good is it?
Old August 29th, 2005, 01:23 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Age questions on RCI

Author: roadnut (---.state.nj.us)
Date: 08-29-05 07:34

"When renting a car for normal reasons, most car companies will only rent to people 25 years of age and older. Many will rent to 21 and over, but there's a hefty fee involved. Very few ever rent to those under 21 years old."

I was under that impression too.

"Because you were renting the car thru your insurance company, the ins. co. probably has a deal or understanding with the car rental place concerning drivers under 25. After all, a small portion of your premium goes towards car rental in the event your car is disabled; if you were paying it but couldn't use it, then what good is it?"

I'm sure that must be why my daughter could rent the car.

Post Edited (08-29-05 13:26)
PAST CRUISES
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Yeoman

I rented a car at 18 as well. Some companies will allow it, and some won't. That has nothing to do with not being an adult. It is not a law, but a rule made by the rental car companies, and their insurance companies. Mainly because insurance is higher for anyone under 25 years of age. Again, nothing to do with being an adult.

Carnival Liberty
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:02 AM
First Mate

Author: fitzla (---.dhcp.gldl.ca.charter.com)
Date: 08-30-05 00:41

"I rented a car at 18 as well. Some companies will allow it, and some won't. That has nothing to do with not being an adult. It is not a law, but a rule made by the rental car companies, and their insurance companies. Mainly because insurance is higher for anyone under 25 years of age. Again, nothing to do with being an adult."

Ahaa...you made a good point fitzla. The age limit on renting a car is the car companies' rule...not the law. So we can use that same theory with drinking age (or needing parental permission, etc) on a ship. It is the cruiselines' rule...not the law...that makes it ok to drink at 18 while on a cruise.

PAST CRUISES
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Captain

I would like to know what would happen if a 20 year old went on a cruise WITH his parents and then was injured or got sick during the cruise. Who would be in charge of making medical decisions for him? Assuming he is conscious and competent, he would have the right to make his own medical decisions anywhere in the U.S. (and any other country that I can think of). I would think that if the ship's doctor forced treatment upon him that he had declined because his parents said so, RCCL and the doctor would be opening themselves up for a major lawsuit. I know it's international waters, but the case would be filed and tried in a U.S. court and I think that RCCL would have a hard time convincing a U.S. jury that a legal adult should have a basic right violated because of a cruiseline rule. Sounds like they're asking for trouble if they stick to that policy.